Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Throttle Body Service?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry but I have to throw a wrench into things here because I believe it's a bit more complicated than just a simple cleaning. The Throttle body service is not only the cleaning but also check and calibration of the throttle body blade for proper operation.

Nobody Panic!! it's just my opinion.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IknowHuhA6
Sorry but I have to throw a wrench into things here because I believe it's a bit more complicated than just a simple cleaning. The Throttle body service is not only the cleaning but also check and calibration of the throttle body blade for proper operation.

Nobody Panic!! it's just my opinion.
Point taken. IIRC, though, the TB alignment procedure is indicated only when the TB has been replaced or otherwise gotten out of sync with the on-board computer for some reason (please correct me if I'm off base on that).

All of the above still presumes that there's a problem with the TB in the first place that requires messing around with it. When some service adviser tells an owner out of the blue that it's a good time to do an XYZ service that the manufacturer does not recommend but that the repair shop thinks is a good idea, it's a red flag to many people who a) know cars and b) know how car repair places make money. As was stated in a previous reply, a service that has the words "check" or "flush" or "cleaning" in it is likely a cause for suspicion. Again, it would be a different story if the vehicle had some performance issues that indicated that the TB was out of whack.

There's a very interesting read on the website of BG Products at https://www.bgprod.com/blog/a-dealer...s-perspective/ One paragraph starts out with an interesting remark:
If a dealer relied on only the OEM recommended services, they’d face closing their doors.
That pretty-much tells you all you need to know.

Recall that those of us who bought our vehicles brand new had to sit through a sales pitch from a "closer" at the dealer who pressured us to buy AudiCare, etc. to help ensure that the dealer would have a continuing revenue stream through the service department.

More interesting reading: Confessions From the Dealership Service Department -- Edmunds.com