Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

For Those Considering Swapping Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 02:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
I laugh when people say the 20s are a smooth ride and hardly noticiable difference from stock. They are full of crap
Because only your opinion matters? I find the 20s to be a smooth ride. Definitely not the same as stock but I think stock is too "loose" with no road feedback. I like the firm feel and I don't think it's harsh like some have described. Of course, some people prefer that. I wouldn't say they are full of crap. Different strokes.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by nobbyv
Look great...but as someone who had the peelers on my B8 S4: they are a pain to clean. The gap in between "blades" is so small, nothing fits in between. Get some Armor All wheel protectant on there soon to help yourself out!
try wheel woolies cleaning tool. The are the best for cleaning wheels and comes in different sizes to fit nooks and crannies.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I laugh when people say the 20s are a smooth ride and hardly noticiable difference from stock. They are full of crap
A bit judgmental, no? There's no question that lesser rubber between the wheel and the road will provide a firmer ride but local road conditions can make a significant difference. (On all of my visits to Chicago, I noticed the roads there were no better than here in most of New England). Just like many other ride and handling characteristics, drivers will have different tolerances and preferences. While you may feel that 20" wheels are not for you, especially with the road conditions where you live, others are just fine with them.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigDawg
Because only your opinion matters? I find the 20s to be a smooth ride. Definitely not the same as stock but I think stock is too "loose" with no road feedback. I like the firm feel and I don't think it's harsh like some have described. Of course, some people prefer that. I wouldn't say they are full of crap. Different strokes.
I agree. I drive all the time with my S6 suspension set in dynamic on 20's and no one in my car has ever complained of a harsh ride. Just the opposite.

Don't forget road condition has as much to do with it as anything.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
A bit judgmental, no? There's no question that lesser rubber between the wheel and the road will provide a firmer ride but local road conditions can make a significant difference. (On all of my visits to Chicago, I noticed the roads there were no better than here in most of New England). Just like many other ride and handling characteristics, drivers will have different tolerances and preferences. While you may feel that 20" wheels are not for you, especially with the road conditions where you live, others are just fine with them.
I doubt you will find any experts that deny that going from 18" to 20" wheels will reduce ride comfort. It's just a matter of whether the comfort level is acceptable. Just a matter of physics. A 20" tire is going to be less comfortable than an 18" and a 22" is going to be less comfortable than a 20"

Don't beleive it? Then argue with Audi that sets a standard wheel size for their stock configurations. They spend lots of money determining what yeilds the best comfort level for the majority of their customers then they offer sport configurations for customers more tolerant to a less comfortable ride.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I doubt you will find any experts that deny that going from 18" to 20" wheels will reduce ride comfort. It's just a matter of whether the comfort level is acceptable. Just a matter of physics. A 20" tire is going to be less comfortable than an 18" and a 22" is going to be less comfortable than a 20"

Don't beleive it? Then argue with Audi that sets a standard wheel size for their stock configurations. They spend lots of money determining what yeilds the best comfort level for the majority of their customers then they offer sport configurations for customers more tolerant to a less comfortable ride.
It's not that you're wrong, it was the tone of your post.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:21 AM
Banned

Last year, I drove a 2012 A7 Prestige loaner 1000 miles from DC to the South for Thanksgiving last year. The ride was noisy. Also, the steering had a dead spot notch that I had to contend with.

However, while the 20" wheels did transmit all of the road into the car, it did quite well on rolling over broken pavement.

I like the look of the 20" wheels from Audi, but I'm not a fan of the noise and cost. I'll take function over form.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by in2dwww
Last year, I drove a 2012 A7 Prestige loaner 1000 miles from DC to the South for Thanksgiving last year. The ride was noisy. Also, the steering had a dead spot notch that I had to contend with.

However, while the 20" wheels did transmit all of the road into the car, it did quite well on rolling over broken pavement.

I like the look of the 20" wheels from Audi, but I'm not a fan of the noise and cost. I'll take function over form.
I was on the fence of picking 19" and 20" and noticed the tire cost between them was not much. However a possible noisy A6 steered me to pick 19". Happy Holidays
Old 12-23-2013, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Omg... 19 or 20??? Haha.. I may still get the 20 for summer and use the 18 for winter. Enjoy the holidays!!
Old 12-23-2013, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by in2dwww

Mirrors my experience with 20" wheels. The increased road noise and tram lining are the "harsh" aspects and not for me. Their comfort over bumps and road irregularities are about the same as 19" wheels.

Quick Reply: For Those Considering Swapping Wheels