Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Thinking about an A6

Old 04-27-2014, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I *wish* I could find a TDI used.... it's not a popular car in SoCal apparently.

We're going to look at a 2012 A6 P+ 3.0T with 40k miles and a 2014 A4 P+ with 7000 miles on it. Same price. I'm going to put 100,000 miles on this car so my first instinct is to go with the A4.... but that's before I've sat in either car.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:58 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nostromo
Thanks for the replies. I *wish* I could find a TDI used.... it's not a popular car in SoCal apparently.

We're going to look at a 2012 A6 P+ 3.0T with 40k miles and a 2014 A4 P+ with 7000 miles on it. Same price. I'm going to put 100,000 miles on this car so my first instinct is to go with the A4.... but that's before I've sat in either car.
That instinct is gonna go right out the window as soon as you're in them. The A4 feels a helluva lot cheaper, its severely lacking in power, and its extremely tight (but I'm 6'4", 320, so most compacts are). The A6 feels better built, looks much higher end, has the 3.0T, and has way more space.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nostromo

I don't know that it's not a popular car, it's that it's a brand new car just released for MY2014 so there will be very very few available used. Any used A6 TDI's would have to be less than 12 months old.

I agree with Mike on everything he said regarding the A6 vs A4. The A6 is a much more substantial car inside and out, and has the 3.0T which we just about universally love.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

When you drive an A6 3.0 T you will forget all thoughts of an A4--and S4 maybe if you want a smaller car, but the 3.0T in the A6 is awesome, This from a TDI owner. I love 'em both, I went out looking for an A4 or A4 Allroad and after studying everything in the class carefully and taking multiple rides I just could not get the A6 off my mind.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I can't speak to the A4 2.0T as I had the smoother, more powerful 3.2 V6. The A6 3.0T is a completely different car IMO. More refined, better appointed, way cooler electronic toys, more powerful (even over the 3.2) and more comfortable yet handles almost as well as my lighter, "sportier" A4. If I rated the A4 at a 7, the A6 3.0T is a 9.5. The C7 A6 is a significant upgrade from any B8 A4 to either the 3.0T or TDI. I have most of an A8 (for gobs less money) and the driving fun of an A4. Best all around automobile I've ever owned over 47 years and 30 cars.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would definitely do the 3.0T over the other options. The 2.0T I drove in a loaner and it is underpowered IMO for this vehicle.

There is a reason the 3.0T has landed on Ward's 10 best engines list multiple years in a row. Smooth, great acceleration, and paired with the 8 speed transmission, for generating over 300HP it provides surprising fuel economy
Old 04-28-2014, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I see a lot of folks on here ******* the 2.0T in the A6. I came from a B8 S4 and had no problems adjusting to the A6 in the 2.0T Quattro, and yes I drove the S4 like I stole it (one of the reasons I got rid of it).

It all depends on how and where you drive. I live in a planned community with its own police force and the majority of the one major road a school zone morning and afternoon. In other words, I cannot speed or accelerate that fast where I live. Couple that with the fact that as soon as I get on the interstate I am stuck in a 60-65 mph chain gang commute. My office is only a mile off the interstate, and wouldn't you know it - there is a police station right there and my office is right on a historic old main street setup so always cops and pedestrians.

Bottom line, had I gotten the 3.0T I would never have the opportunity to really make use of it, considering 90% of my drive is as explained above. I live in a highly populated area of DFW - its either full of cops dying to ticket someone or just packed with folks either in traffic or on a sunday drive. The 2.0T is a surprisingly torquey motor, and while it is a bit short on HP, that really only matters at near triple digit speeds or heavily loaded situations in this application. I should also note that I am a family of 2 (no kids) so the car is never packed with people and things, another reason I really don't need the extra HP.

In other words, don't sell this motor short until you drive it on the same roads you drive on every day. Buy a car with an engine that suits your application and driving needs, not one that everyone tells you to get. Sure the 3.0 is a phenomenal motor, but so is the 4.0L in the S6, better yet the one in the S8 as well. My point here is there is always a bigger and more powerful engine, so why stop at just the 3.0. Find the one you like for the way you drive.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've never owned an Audi but I am intrigued by the A6TDI to the point where I have speced one out and negotiated a price. I'm having trouble pulling the trigger though for a few reasons. One, the steering issues I have been reading about on this forum and not knowing if they have been sorted out on the 2015MY. Two, the seeming unwillingness of dealers to update old MMI versions to correct Bose sound issues and not knowing which version my car would come with, and three, the fact that Audi is equipping the 15MY A6's with 10+ year old 3G technology while equipping the A3's with 4G. Perhaps some of you veteran Auditista's could sooth my troubled mind?

Last edited by C21bill; 05-04-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by C21bill
I've never owned an Audi but I am intrigued by the A6TDI to the point where I have speced one out and negotiated a price. I'm having trouble pulling the trigger though for a few reasons. One, the steering issuses I have been reading about on this forum and not knowing if they have been sorted out on the 2015MY. Two, the seeming unwillingness of dealers to update old MMI versions to correct Bose sound issues and not knowing which version my car would come with, and three, the fact that Audi is equipping the 15MY A6's with 10+ year old 3G technology while equipping the A3's with 4G. Perhaps some of you veteran Auditista's could sooth my troubled mind?
2. A newly built car will have the latest MMI version and won't have the Bose problem.

3. Just deal with it. The Hardware is different and the A6 won't be getting 4G until the next generation comes out in 2016 or 2017. Plus, its much cheaper to keep the 3G going. I'd rather spend $30 a month than over $100.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mike_L
2. A newly built car will have the latest MMI version and won't have the Bose problem.

3. Just deal with it. The Hardware is different and the A6 won't be getting 4G until the next generation comes out in 2016 or 2017. Plus, its much cheaper to keep the 3G going. I'd rather spend $30 a month than over $100.
Thanks Mike. Any idea if the steering issues have been solved?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking about an A6