Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Thinking a 17 A4, but NO

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 133 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Thinking a 17 A4, but NO

Was seriously thinking of trading for a 2017 A4. With the increase in HP and slight increase in size, I thought the new A4 would suit me just fine, that is until I went to dealership last week and looked at one. Exterior is gorgeous, but that MMI display looks horrible. No way to retract it - just stuck there in the center of the instrument panel like an afterthought. At least in the A6 I can retract the screen with a push of a button. Why can Lexus, BMW, Subaru & even Ford, integrate a Nav(MMI) screen into the dash that looks great, but Audi has this "stuck on later" look?
From viewing this forum, it appears that others would like to see a change in the MMI display integration. The previous gen A4 looked really neat, even if the display size was a little smaller.
I, for one, would like to see a mod that would prevent the MMI screen from extending, except when I want it, but my searches have been fruitless. I have pulled fuses with MMI labels, and can keep the MMI from displaying, but not extending. Has anyone ever removed the MMI unit from the dash? There should be a way to install a switch on the MMI motor.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you able to retract the screen in a BMW 3-series? I had a 328, but that was 2011 and it didn't have navigation.

I like having the retractable screen in the A6; cleans up the dash nicely!
Old 07-22-2016, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pathguy
Are you able to retract the screen in a BMW 3-series? I had a 328, but that was 2011 and it didn't have navigation.

I like having the retractable screen in the A6; cleans up the dash nicely!
The nav screen on the BMW 3 series is not retractable. IMO they do as good a job as possible job of integrating in into the dash. Being rectangular helps. I recently looked at the new GLC as a replacement for our Q5 and that nav screen REALLY sticks up out of the dash.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I too would prefer an integrated display because the only time my display is parked is when I'm not in the car therefore the A4 would be the same as our A6.
The only time my screen is down is when I close it to put the sunscreen up because the display does not close until I get out of the car. After I leave the car, I don't care if it's up or down.
I also read that Audi is moving away from buttons and leaning toward a haptic display. Terrible idea, it's a shame that some people are intimidated by information, buttons, ***** and direct controls.

Last edited by DB22; 07-22-2016 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 493 Likes on 336 Posts

I strongly suspect the C8 will NOT have a B9 type display.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was considering an A4 but haven't looked at them for a while and am wondering if I will be back in the A6.. Had A6's from 1998-2007 then went with a Hyundai Azera, which has been great cost wise but will soon want to be back in an Audi.

Also like the looks of the A5, but concerned how hard it will be to get in and out of since I am 68. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by oskidunker
I was considering an A4 but haven't looked at them for a while and am wondering if I will be back in the A6.. Had A6's from 1998-2007 then went with a Hyundai Azera, which has been great cost wise but will soon want to be back in an Audi.

Also like the looks of the A5, but concerned how hard it will be to get in and out of since I am 68. Any advice would be appreciated.
I'm the same age. I went from an '01 A6 to an '09 A4. After four years, it was starting to get harder to get in and out of the A4 so when it was time, I got a '13 A6. Much better. I would imagine it would be even harder with an A5. Plus the interior enhancements, extra room and other advantages of the larger A6 than the B8s made it an easy decision for me to return to the C7. We ain't getting any younger.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

So I think that if access is an issue, you might move to a higher car, like a Q5 or Q7. The height is so much easier on the knees.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought I read the new A4 was retractable. That is really disappointing to hear it is not. I too hate the look....like someone glued an iPad to the dash. BTW, Mercedes is the worst, but I see the new E class has the screen integrated in the dash as it should be.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealer gave me a 17 A4 loaner when my car was there for the 45k services. Forget about the MMI, whoever designed the gear shift should be nominated for the Darwin Award. There is no longer a "park" position on the gear shift, you need to push the "P" button on the side to put the car in park. I almost back into something after putting the car in "reverse" thinking it is "park" (it is a toggle and there is no Park), leave the foot off the brake and the car started going backward.

I was thinking of getting a S4 before, that and the MMI unfortunately turn me off

Quick Reply: Thinking a 17 A4, but NO