Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Heated Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Heated Mirrors

I'm a bit puzzled by my DIS readout when in the "Energy Consumptions" screen. It normally shows a bar gauge and what systems, if any, that are reducing the gas mileage. Mine right now shows "Air Conditioner", "Left seat Ventilation" and now, for the first time, "Mirror Heating". It's 57F degrees outside and my seat heaters and steering wheel heater are off.

I assumed the side mirror heaters came on either with the seat heater or automatically at a near freezing temperature but not positive. (I have the cold weather package). There seems to be no way to turn off the heated mirrors manually that I've found.

I'm trying to discern if this is normal at 57F degrees. Is anyone else seeing "Mirror Heating" on the DIS screen at around this temperature in the Energy Consumptions readout?
Old 10-08-2012, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I'm a bit puzzled by my DIS readout when in the "Energy Consumptions" screen. It normally shows a bar gauge and what systems, if any, that are reducing the gas mileage. Mine right now shows "Air Conditioner", "Left seat Ventilation" and now, for the first time, "Mirror Heating". It's 57F degrees outside and my seat heaters and steering wheel heater are off.

I assumed the side mirror heaters came on either with the seat heater or automatically at a near freezing temperature but not positive. (I have the cold weather package). There seems to be no way to turn off the heated mirrors manually that I've found.

I'm trying to discern if this is normal at 57F degrees. Is anyone else seeing "Mirror Heating" on the DIS screen at around this temperature in the Energy Consumptions readout?
I think it works like this:
When your SideView mirror switch is in the "Center" position, if your toggle it up, then you activate the "Mirror Heating". If you toggle it up again, you should turn it off.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by manishaudi
I think it works like this:
When your SideView mirror switch is in the "Center" position, if your toggle it up, then you activate the "Mirror Heating". If you toggle it up again, you should turn it off.
I agree with the first part that the mirror switch has to be in the "center" position. I was under the impression that if that is the case, and you have either the front windsheild defroster on(in the case of the OP) or the rear window defroster on, then the side mirrors get heated!
Old 10-08-2012, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simply turn your mirror **** away from centre position - heater will turn off with the **** in either LEFT or RIGHT mirror positions.
Try that with the ECONO Gauge on your centre display, you'll see that the mirror heating line will disappear as you take the sw off centre.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ben_aip
Simply turn your mirror **** away from centre position - heater will turn off with the **** in either LEFT or RIGHT mirror positions.
Try that with the ECONO Gauge on your centre display, you'll see that the mirror heating line will disappear as you take the sw off centre.
Thanks. That was it. Once you turn it away from center, the mirror hearing is off. The center position is clearly marked with the heating icon. Duh. (I guess I should have gone back to the manual).
Since I always left the mirror switch in the center position, I'm surprised I never noticed it before in the energy consuptions screen. Perhaps, if in the center position, the heating will only activate below a certain temp?
BTW, pushing up, down or in on the mirror button does not seem to do anything. Only moving it. Off center will turn it off.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually leave my mirror in the right (passenger) position so when I reverse, that side mirror will tilt down and help me avoid any curb rash.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default to the right

Originally Posted by fender4645
I actually leave my mirror in the right (passenger) position so when I reverse, that side mirror will tilt down and help me avoid any curb rash.
+ 1 in A8L W12
Old 10-09-2012, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. That was it. Once you turn it away from center, the mirror hearing is off. The center position is clearly marked with the heating icon. Duh. (I guess I should have gone back to the manual).
Since I always left the mirror switch in the center position, I'm surprised I never noticed it before in the energy consuptions screen. Perhaps, if in the center position, the heating will only activate below a certain temp?
BTW, pushing up, down or in on the mirror button does not seem to do anything. Only moving it. Off center will turn it off.
I think it must only kick in under a certain temperature - I leave my selector in the center mode all the time, and I've yet to see the Window Heater show up in the Energy Consumers - though admittedly I'm not generally in there often. I find it more gimmicky than anything, of course I know I have the Air Conditioning and seat ventilation on...
Old 10-09-2012, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyuni
I think it must only kick in under a certain temperature
^ This
Old 10-09-2012, 06:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jatmobil
I agree with the first part that the mirror switch has to be in the "center" position. I was under the impression that if that is the case, and you have either the front windsheild defroster on(in the case of the OP) or the rear window defroster on, then the side mirrors get heated!
This is it. My sales specifically told me that only the front windshield defroster will trigger it.

Quick Reply: Heated Mirrors