Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Switching to summers = much harsher ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've checked the owner's manual. Under "normal operation" the recommended pressures are 38/36 F/R. Although odd (the max tire pressures dictate 46/48 F/R), I've adjusted to 39/38. The ride seems to be better, but not as smooth and compliant as the 18" winter setup. Harshness from expansion joints are still there.

Also, I've noticed that acceleration has suffered a bit after switching to 20" summers. This is due to the fact that the 20" setup is most likely heavier and there is more rotational inertia. Something that was to be expected, but more that I thought. Perhaps a light weight 18" setup for the summer is the way to go. Current setup of 255/35/20 are 27.02" in diameter. A 255/45/18 would be 27.03" in diameter. No issues with the speedometer being off. That being said, does anyone have some pictures and recommendations?

BTW: Ontario (Toronto) is not that cold its 14C right now. This is not the boonies of Canada.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Superfly_A6
That being said, does anyone have some pictures and recommendations?
These are the 18" wheels that came with the early A6 sport package.

Name:  sportpackage1807.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  131.6 KB

BTW: Ontario (Toronto) is not that cold its 14C right now. This is not the boonies of Canada.
While 14*C (55*F) is not freezing, it is on the cold side for summer tires. They might loosen up a bit when it's warmer out. I'm south of you across the lake and tonight's forcast is "Rain / Snow Showers Late".
Old 04-08-2014, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes 20" tires are a triple whammy when it comes to ride comfort:
1. Less sidewall
2. Low profile tires generally need to run higher tire pressures to meet the load rating, which makes them firmer
3. Most of the tires available in the right size will be high-performance tires with stiffer construction for a more sporty feel

I learned to stay away from low profile tires after my last car.

Anyway, try dropping the pressures all the way to the minimum 38/36.

A different tire, still on your 20" wheels, may help, such as one of the softer all-season tires.

Also, what color is your car? Higher profile tires may be a little less noticeable on black cars.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I'm in Toronto too. The truth is I abandoned sport packages and bigger wheel options after I went to audi from bmw now years ago. If you live where roads are great such as Germany or many parts of USA sure it may work. But here not so much. But preferences are different as I know many guys that will not have their cars without full sport suspension and tires and they love it.

Our roads are just a wreck. I find my standard 18 inch wheels and standard suspension work great. Good ride comfort and still quite sporty. Unlike bmw, audi standard setup is not wallowy.

I would get a set of oem audi 18 wheels/tires and sell your wheels on kijiji or something. You will have sport suspension but with much more forgiving rubber on smaller wheels. And as far as looks I think the 18s look great on this car.

Hi Guys,

So, I switched to summer tires (20" sport package) and I have noticed a big increase in harshness. Almost to the point of untolerable ride. Every expansion joint and every bump is now so much more evident and transmitted through the car. I've been using my winter tires since I picked up the car in January, and in my opinion, the ride was just right.

Am I the only one who thinks like this?

I've been considering selling my 20" rims and picking up a set of lightweight 18s or 19s with a thicker profile tires.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Mitch105; 04-08-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by newmoon
Yes 20" tires are a triple whammy when it comes to ride comfort:
1. Less sidewall
2. Low profile tires generally need to run higher tire pressures to meet the load rating, which makes them firmer
3. Most of the tires available in the right size will be high-performance tires with stiffer construction for a more sporty feel

I learned to stay away from low profile tires after my last car.

Anyway, try dropping the pressures all the way to the minimum 38/36.

A different tire, still on your 20" wheels, may help, such as one of the softer all-season tires.

Also, what color is your car? Higher profile tires may be a little less noticeable on black cars.
I notice the premium model comes standard with 17" wheels. I wonder if Audi would allow you to order a prestige with the 17" insead of the 18" and how do you folks feel about doing that?
Old 04-08-2014, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by C21bill
I notice the premium model comes standard with 17" wheels. I wonder if Audi would allow you to order a prestige with the 17" insead of the 18" and how do you folks feel about doing that?
It would have to be done after delivery if not an option in the order guide (per the online builds, Audi no longer offers 17" wheels for any version of the A6 in the US). IMO, 17" wheels are too much of a handling compromise for the C7 A6 not to mention they look kind of mismatched on a car of that size. I'd recommend 18" w/all season tires and pass on the sport package if ride comfort is your priority.

Last edited by snagitseven; 04-08-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Invariably, those owners live in California or Florida, where the roads are billiard-table smooth.
I wish.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all your replies guys.

I have been searching for a nice looking 18" rim that is also light weight and so far nothing jumps out at me.
My goal is to get something in either 255/45/18 or 255/40/19 that will have a combined weight (with the tire) of my OEM winter setup .... man the ride was perfect - not too stiff, just right.

For documentation purposes, I will try to measure some rim weights tomorrow, and keep you guys posted. From the looks of things the 20 inchers must be heavy as hell.

If anyone has any pictures for suggestion, keep them coming
Thanks
Old 04-09-2014, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have been searching for a nice looking 18" rim that is also light weight and so far nothing jumps out at me.
My goal is to get something in either 255/45/18 or 255/40/19 that will have a combined weight (with the tire) of my OEM winter setup .... man the ride was perfect - not too stiff, just right.

For documentation purposes, I will try to measure some rim weights tomorrow, and keep you guys posted. From the looks of things the 20 inchers must be heavy as hell.

Thanks
O.Z. Superforgiata Light+Grey+Painted

Lightest 19" around 18lb or 8kg Forged.

Last edited by 13c7a6; 04-09-2014 at 05:43 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks
If there is that much difference between summer and winter I would think it has more to do with your temps than anything else. I've ridden in a A6 with non sport suspension that had 255/40/19's on it and compared to my S6 in comfort mode it was a harsher ride. There just honestly that much of a difference between 20's and 19's. However if your summer tires are too cold then it will be like driving around on plastic tires. You will hate the ride no matter the size.

Quick Reply: Switching to summers = much harsher ride