Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Supercharger issues on a 2017 A6

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger issues on a 2017 A6

I had the supercharger go out on a 2017 A6 at 600 miles. It was replaced and now within 200 miles on the new one it has went out. Would it be the supercharger or the engine?
Old 10-10-2017, 02:46 PM
bpd
AudiWorld Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Napin
I had the supercharger go out on a 2017 A6 at 600 miles. It was replaced and now within 200 miles on the new one it has went out. Would it be the supercharger or the engine?
Ive got 4000 mi on my 17 A6, no problems. What was the first indication it failed? Based on zero details, hard to tell how to diagnose your issue. What did the dealer tell you why it failed?
Old 10-11-2017, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Sounds very odd for two new SCs to fail, one right after the other. Did the dealer actually replace the first one or maybe just performed a "repair" of some sort thart didn't last. Something here doesn't add up.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

On the paperwork it states the SC was replaced with a new one. Test drove by the service manager and good to go. I was told I wouldn't have any other problems. The service department called and now they are talking with Audi technicians to get to the root of the problem. I do not work on cars, but this is not normal for any vehicle.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:47 AM
bpd
AudiWorld Member

How did you first know there was a problem? Did some Dash light come on? Car wouldn't start? Or........ Your situation is definitely unusual and its appreciated that you posted your problem. But it would be good to know since I own a '17 A6 how to know if I end up with a problem with my SC. When you have the chance, ask the dealer how and why this happened. Its obvious they don't know the answer to either since it happened again to you. Keep us informed of any more details.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by bpd
How did you first know there was a problem? Did some Dash light come on? Car wouldn't start? Or........ Your situation is definitely unusual and its appreciated that you posted your problem. But it would be good to know since I own a '17 A6 how to know if I end up with a problem with my SC. When you have the chance, ask the dealer how and why this happened. Its obvious they don't know the answer to either since it happened again to you. Keep us informed of any more details.
The RPM's dropped down to 850; there was every light and symbol possible on the dash came on. The small screen started stating different function failures. When I tried to restart the vehicle when Audi roadside arrived, vehicle started shaking and cut off. This also happened the first time, but it seemed worse this time for some unknown reason. It is no fun when the vehicle speed just drops on a busy roadway. So far they have not called back with an update since early this morning. The dealership service department is working with an Audi technician on the problem.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

The RPM's dropped down to 850; there was every light and symbol possible on the dash came on. The small screen started stating different function failures. When I tried to restart the vehicle when Audi roadside arrived, vehicle started shaking and cut off. This also happened the first time, but it seemed worse this time for some unknown reason. It is no fun when the vehicle speed just drops on a busy roadway. So far they have not called back with an update since early this morning. The dealership service department is working with an Audi technician on the problem.
Please say they set you up with a REALLY nice loaner car. Also, please update this thread as you have more/better information. I have not heard of a supercharger failure before, not that it means much, especially on a brand new Audi. My understanding is they are practically bullet proof. Best of luck on getting the all sorted out.

Last edited by DanfZX14; 10-11-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:53 PM
bpd
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for responding to this question. It sounds like a major malfunction and it would be very obvious when this occurs. Keep in mind your Lemon Law rights for your State. Time out of service and/or number of times of repair counts for recourse. A permanent solution in a reasonable time is what you are looking for. By the way, you said it failed at 600 mi, how many miles did it take for the second one to fail?
Only thing I can think of is the SC is not getting lubricated and/or cooled properly. If its not getting lubricated correctly, is metal particles going down the oil pan? Were the moving internals locked up? Hope this mystery is solved.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bpd
By the way, you said it failed at 600 mi, how many miles did it take for the second one to fail?
Only thing I can think of is the SC is not getting lubricated and/or cooled properly. If its not getting lubricated correctly, is metal particles going down the oil pan? Were the moving internals locked up? Hope this mystery is solved.
OP stated in original post 200 miles for second to fail.

I am sorry to hear about this. The fact pattern suggests SC is not the problem as I hardly believe you have two faulty SC installed. I tend to agree with above the SC is not lubricated or cooled properly that caused the failure. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:28 AM
bpd
AudiWorld Member

Any updates on this?

Quick Reply: Supercharger issues on a 2017 A6