Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Subwoofer upgrade complete - and it rocks!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The Sony amp I used has auto on when using the high pass inputs- it was a learning experience for me too. Made the install that much easier. It actually turns on when you open the drivers door and shuts off after about 3 minutes of inactivity after the the MMI has shut down,.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm now wondering if can you just replace the sub in a Prestige Bose since it supposedly has a 630 watts?
Old 02-28-2012, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm in my trunk today (sounds funny) and I can see my sub woofer(left side, sticking out) what about the rest of the speakers in that area? are they all mid range? I can see them housed inside the trunk and aren't sticking out.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BugeyeRX
I'm now wondering if can you just replace the sub in a Prestige Bose since it supposedly has a 630 watts?
I had been wondering the same thing. Isn't the problem more related to the quality of the existing sub, than the amount of power that's feeding it? If so, it seems we could just drop a new / better sub in there (without an additional amp), and call it a day. Right?

Might not sound as good or powerful as adding the amp, too ... but maybe it would kick up the bass enough to get the job done.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Metallic-Force
I'm in my trunk today (sounds funny) and I can see my sub woofer(left side, sticking out) what about the rest of the speakers in that area? are they all mid range? I can see them housed inside the trunk and aren't sticking out.
Not sure... I assume you have prestige? In the premium plus, the only speaker on the rear deck is the oem sub... aka the "subwafer".
Old 02-28-2012, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ko_audi
I had been wondering the same thing. Isn't the problem more related to the quality of the existing sub, than the amount of power that's feeding it? If so, it seems we could just drop a new / better sub in there (without an additional amp), and call it a day. Right?

Might not sound as good or powerful as adding the amp, too ... but maybe it would kick up the bass enough to get the job done.

Well, if you are certain you want to upgrade, there's no harm in trying it with the OEM amp, and adding an amp if it doesn't perform well.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Metallic-Force
Possibly, but based on my experience with factory systems the problem is the amount of that power actually alotted to the sub. A separate amp will give you the ability to adjust the gain, low frequency boost, run at lower OHM's etc. The real shame is that there's no separate sub control in the MMI, even in the Bose system. It's likely a sad combo of a crappy sub (probably isn't even free air) and not enough power.

Another thought would be to possbily build some sort of box around the factory sub. Might help it out a bit.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry, quoted the wrong post ^^^

Also, some nicer amps will have a remote control for the sub level which might be nice to throw in the console and adjust on the fly.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ko_audi

Agreed, I'm all about the seamless modifications.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by iaonbb
Possibly, but based on my experience with factory systems the problem is the amount of that power actually alotted to the sub. A separate amp will give you the ability to adjust the gain, low frequency boost, run at lower OHM's etc. The real shame is that there's no separate sub control in the MMI, even in the Bose system. It's likely a sad combo of a crappy sub (probably isn't even free air) and not enough power.

Another thought would be to possbily build some sort of box around the factory sub. Might help it out a bit.
Ironically, in the base premium plus system, there is a separate MMI subwoofer control and it works marvelously with the aftermarket amp.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer upgrade complete - and it rocks!