Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Subwoofer upgrade complete - and it rocks!

Old 06-08-2014, 06:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blacka6c7
Hi, I just setup a dls oa10d in my rear deck and powered by Focal monoblock. The deck has been dynamated as well. However the sub vibrates when I go a little louder. It's not due to the deck as the vibes go off if I hold around the rubber surrounds of the sub. Is this normal or I bought a lemon sub ?

What settings do you use for gain, cutoff, boost and subsonic filter ?

Thanks and appreciate your help.
In replaced my dls oa10d with a jl audio 10w0v3 and it sounds much better. It's cheaper, lighter, shallower and sounds more powerful than the dls at same setting. Perhaps my dls was a lemon thou amazon claimed its new. No much vibes from the sub at certain loudness. Really like the jl audio sub.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

In replaced my dls oa10d with a jl audio 10w0v3 and it sounds much better. It's cheaper, lighter, shallower and sounds more powerful than the dls at same setting. Perhaps my dls was a lemon thou amazon claimed its new. No much vibes from the sub at certain loudness. Really like the jl audio sub.
Questions: did you install the JL sub where the stock sub is located? do you have the Bose system? I have the Bose system and looking to upgrade my sub to the JLs. Thanks
Old 06-09-2014, 12:39 AM
DVE
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by krazyhabu
I have the Bose system and looking to upgrade my sub to the JLs.
Me too. But I am looking for an plug'n play Sub, also regarding the dimensions.
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2014, 07:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah. Same slot as stock. My systems is the basic and below Bose. Took about an hour to replace. Of all things I was stuck as the bolts that held my dls oa10d were too thick for my jl audio. So be prepared.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yeah. Same slot as stock. My systems is the basic and below Bose. Took about an hour to replace. Of all things I was stuck as the bolts that held my dls oa10d were too thick for my jl audio. So be prepared.
Your JL sub doesn't require an enclosure? free air sub?

Last edited by krazyhabu; 07-18-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by krazyhabu
Your JL sub doesn't require an enclosure? free air sub?
JL Audio subs work well in IB config, especially the W6 and W 7 models. JL will never admit to this for warranty liability reasons, but they sound much better in IB than in any enclosure. Better control and deeper bass response are possible in IB.

The only caveat is that those subs have a lot of linear excursion. So it will be hard to do in the rear deck without the cone hitting the grill.

I'm thinking about swapping my Dynaudio 12" subs for a pair of JL 13w7 drivers. They should fit nicely in my existing trunk baffle setup.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default No bass to real bass for < $ 250 dollars

Just did the same upgrade as the original posting by sgroer. I purchased a PowerBass XL-104MF IB marine/auto 10" sub for $ 99 and a JBL GTO-501EZ amp for $ 139 both on eBay with free shipping. Bought the JBL amp as it has auto on/off.

Mounted the sub on top of the radio tray and wired in with an amp kit. WOW !! What a fantastic upgrade from the feeble simulated sub that comes with the car to real tight and controllable bass for under $ 250 dollars.

If you like bass....it is that easy.....
Attached Images   
Old 08-26-2014, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello.

Did any of you guys disconnect the battery when connecting the amp?
Old 08-27-2014, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by proppilot
Just did the same upgrade as the original posting by sgroer. I purchased a PowerBass XL-104MF IB marine/auto 10" sub for $ 99 and a JBL GTO-501EZ amp for $ 139 both on eBay with free shipping. Bought the JBL amp as it has auto on/off.

Mounted the sub on top of the radio tray and wired in with an amp kit. WOW !! What a fantastic upgrade from the feeble simulated sub that comes with the car to real tight and controllable bass for under $ 250 dollars.

If you like bass....it is that easy.....
Do you have the Bose system? if so, anything specific regarding the installation process? also, I don't know much about PowerBass... are their subs decent? I would have gone for something better but I guess you got this specific model due to fitment? thanks!
Old 08-28-2014, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Would appreciate the answer. Got amplifier hertz hcp 1d and DLS subwoofer, but don't know should i or should i not disconnect the battery while connecting the amp. Will disconnecting the battery ruin anything or is it okei, just to disconnect the negative wire?

Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Subwoofer upgrade complete - and it rocks!