Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Subwoofer Installed

Old 07-02-2014, 03:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer Installed

Just installed a Kicker SubStation all in one enclosure/sub/amp in the trunk. Part # PES10C. I have a 2013 S6 with the factory Bose system. I researched quite a bit and picked this product for the following reasons:

1. All in one sub/amp/enclosure
2. Sealed enclosure
3. Class D Amplifier
4. High quality sub
5. High level inputs
6. Easily removable with quick cable attachment couplers
7 Automatic on/off (eliminates the need for a remote power on wire)

The downside is the price. About $500.

Instillation was extremely easy. I am a novice-intermediate mechanic at best. I purchased the amplifier instillation kit from Kicker as well that contained everything I needed for the install except for basic hand tools. Here is a brief outline of the instillation process:

-Removed the spare tire
-Disconnected the negative battery terminal
-Connected the positive power cable to the positive terminal of the battery with an inline fuse close to the battery (included in kit)
-Connected the negative power cable to an existing ground bolt in the trunk
-There is a connector about 4 inches from the existing sub on the driver’s side. You can reach it through a hole in the bottom of the rear deck. Disconnect this. There are three wires. The brown with blue stripe is + and the brown with white stripe is -. You can also find these wires coming directly from the Bose amp as well. Using the speaker cables in the instillation kit I spliced the brown/blue + wire to the two + wires on the high level inputs on the sub and spliced the brown/white - wire to the two - wires on the high level input connector on the amp.
-Trimmed and connected the power cables to the amp.
-Reconnected the negative battery cable.

That’s it. I put some Velcro strips on the bottom of the box so it would not slide around. Spent about 30 minutes tuning the amp according to the instructions. I can't say enough how much this improves the sound of this audio system. There is also a remote bass boost module that I have not installed yet. Still trying to find the right location. I will try to get some pics uploaded tonight.

Last edited by OKMike; 07-02-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the time to write this up.

I also have the Bose system and was looking at purchasing a Class D sub amp and the JL audio shallow sub. I want to replace the factory sub with the JL and place the amp where the Bose amp is located.

Question: Is it possible to take out the Bose sub amp without messing up the system? thanks
Old 07-03-2014, 07:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The Bose amp supplies power to all of the speakers in the car. You cannot remove it without disturbing the entire system. The is however a nice little place just under the Bose amp you could install an additional amp to supply your new sub.

*Pictures coming soon
Old 07-03-2014, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Awaiting those pics. Sounds interesting!
Old 07-06-2014, 05:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Pictures as promised

Old 07-07-2014, 10:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did you experiment with location before final install? I wonder how it would sound if fired directly into the cabin through the rear armrest...
Old 08-10-2014, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just completed my setup and the results are impressive. I tapped into the wires near the factory sub. It was a pain trying to get the plug out of a tiny opening so, I retrieved it from the top; this was the hardest part of the install. Thanks again!!