Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Submitting Build Order next week - Talk to me about the 19in vs 20in Rims

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
First off, having previously lived on CO for over 20 years, I know the snow can get pretty deep at times. If you're planning on driving in more than 4" of snow with the A6, all seasons will not be ideal - dedicated snow tires would be advisable. If you go that route and decide on having them mounted on different wheels, 18" would probably be the best choice for winter w/dedicated snows. Then you could run with the 20" summer tires for the rest of the year.

Note that with the 20", there will be a moderate decrease in ride comfort compared to the 19" due to the decreased sidewall rubber. As I recall, the roads in Colorado, for the most part, don't have too many potholes but be aware, the larger the wheel, the less the tire sidewall and pothole avoidance becomes important. Benefit going with 18" wheels for snow tires is better handling in deep snow, less chance for road damage, lower cost for both tires and wheels and less chance for wheel damage changing the tires with one set of wheels twice a year.

If you decide you don't want two sets of tires and wheels and prefer the 20", consider the Conti DWS UHP all seasons. They are available in the A6 OEM 20" size, are highly rated and seem to come out with the best overall rating for moderate snow performance.
This is very good advice

If I were the OP, given they do not like the look of the 19" (neither did I, which is why I added on aftermarket 19" wheels) I would either order the A6 with the 20" wheels and use them in the summer, or order it with the 18" wheels and put winter tires on them then order a set of 19" or 20" wheels in a style you like for summer
Old 09-23-2013, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I struggled with this very question when I ordered my car. The 20s looked great and I didn't care much or the 2013 19 inch rims. However the 20s road a little harsher, and the P zeros where much louder.

I actually liked the new 19 inch rims for the 2014 model year (although they are still no visual match for the 20s) which solved my problem. I am very happy with my current 19s with the stock Contis. They ride great and are quiet...quiet being a really important attribute for me.

If you are going to replace the P zeros anyway then you can better optimize the tire for what you want which might be a consideration in getting the 20s, but I am happy with my choice of the 19s.

I agree with everyones suggestion of dedicated winter tires.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 19 's on both winter and summer set ups. Didn't like the look of 18's on the car, too much rubber. since Oct-March is a good bet for snow in the mountains ,get a set that you can live (aesthetically) with for 1/2 the year. 18's make more sense if you drive up for skiing often.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Shell4624
Thanks Keithl and Snagit for the responses. Both are very helpful. I was trying to avoid having 2 sets of tires, but considering the winter road conditions here in CO, it would make sense to have 18in Winter Tires and 20 with Summer Performance tires.

Now as far as building the car, I assume I would build the car with the 20 inch Spots package/tires and go out and purchase 18 inch wheels with Winter tires and a fitment kit, correct? Is this something I should do through the dealer or independently online?
If you decide to order 20's, would you consider the black optics package? Would look sharp with the Daytona.

BTW, what interior trim are you ordering? I have the alum. and love it with the black/black interior.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Keithl and Snagit for the responses. Both are very helpful. I was trying to avoid having 2 sets of tires, but considering the winter road conditions here in CO, it would make sense to have 18in Winter Tires and 20 with Summer Performance tires.

Now as far as building the car, I assume I would build the car with the 20 inch Spots package/tires and go out and purchase 18 inch wheels with Winter tires and a fitment kit, correct? Is this something I should do through the dealer or independently online?
I had dealer throw in free set of 18 wheel and tires.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by qqq1970
I had dealer throw in free set of 18 wheel and tires.
Mind sharing how you were to strike this deal? We've spoken with Sally at AoA and will sign up for the Lifetime ACNA. She's agreed to wave the waiting period and will send me the paper work so that I can get 6% off MSRP.

I'm wondering if it would be expecting too much to think someone would throw in an extra pair of wheels for me. I could always ask.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audi40
If you decide to order 20's, would you consider the black optics package? Would look sharp with the Daytona.

BTW, what interior trim are you ordering? I have the alum. and love it with the black/black interior.
The jury is still out on trim. First time we visited Audi, I fell in love with the Alum trim. On subsequent visits the Fine Ash Grain (duller in color) grew on me. My husband likes the Dark Walnut. Too me the Dark Walnut looks too shiney

What are your thoughts?
Old 09-27-2013, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The jury is still out on trim. First time we visited Audi, I fell in love with the Alum trim. On subsequent visits the Fine Ash Grain (duller in color) grew on me. My husband likes the Dark Walnut. Too me the Dark Walnut looks too shiney

What are your thoughts?
I like the glossy walnut trim at first. The natural ash grew on me too.

Earlier trim discussions showed that the Ash was the preferred interior choice. There was one person that dented the aluminum trim.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

What are your thoughts?
I went with the fine ash on my recently ordered Prestige TDI, Daytona on black. It just has a richness and texture that gave a real lux touch to the cabin. The walnut was too shiny IMHO and feels/looks more like plastic. I like the alum trim, but wanted more of a subdued lux look, and the wood is more temperature neutral than the alum when it gets hot.

As with anything, it comes down to personal taste. I'm counting the days until delivery next month!
Old 09-27-2013, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kc-raydoc
Ifeels/looks more like plastic
My words exactly! I was reluctant to write that for fear of offending others. But seriously I thought the same thing. To each their own!

Quick Reply: Submitting Build Order next week - Talk to me about the 19in vs 20in Rims