Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

SQ5 rated at 345 HP vs our 310HP

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 rated at 345 HP vs our 310HP

Same engine, same tiptronic transmission

Is it just an ECU flash? And can it be applied to our 3.0T cars?
Old 05-01-2014, 12:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

According to Car and Driver…

"The SQ5’s engine—specific to North America, since the European SQ5 is a *diesel—is closely related to the 333-hp version in the S4 and S5 (itself an uprated *version of the 272-hp six in the Q5 3.0T). But the SQ5 gets revisions that raise output another 21 horsepower, mostly in the higher reaches of the rev band, as suggested by the 347 pound-feet of  torque *plateauing way up at 4000 rpm."

I'm the extra horses are either from a little ECU fingering OR by some performance parts...
Old 05-01-2014, 01:16 PM
Banned

Its from the tune. The 3.0T makes close to 400 with a tune.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mike_L
Its from the tune. The 3.0T makes close to 400 with a tune.
Is there an OEM tune you can do?
Old 05-01-2014, 01:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hockenheim
Dealers won't put any tunes on the car other than what it came with. Aftermarket is the only way to go.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

A 3.0T putting out 400 hp is dangerously close to a S6. As a manufacturer you never want to cannibalize sales of your big margin offerings and make sure there's a clear distinction between vehicles.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The SQ5 has 354 HP, 347 lb/ft, stock. The reason the get more out of it in the SQ5 is because there is more room under the hood to fit a beefier block and better cooling capacity, allowing them to turn up the boost.

There are several after-market ECU upgrades out there that can easily take the power over 400 HP. Additional gains can be had by replacing the SC pulley with a smaller one, or the crank pulley with a larger one. (GMG makes one where the accessory pulley is the same original size so nothing else is over-driven.) My preference would be the larger crank pulley because it increases the surface area of the belt, rather than decreasing it and causing slippage of the SC pulley. It's 7% larger, uses the same belt, and is simpler to replace.

Changing either pulley with result in more low-end power and improved throttle response. However, without the ECU upgrade, all of that additional pressure will be dumped above 5000 RPM. Of course, all of these upgrades will most likely void your warranty. Audi can detect if the ECU was tampered with, even if it was changed back. At least you can neatly replace a stock pulley.

My SQ5 arrives next week. I may do the crank pulley change, just because it's simple and can provide modest gains without destroying my warranty.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by SQive
The SQ5 has 354 HP, 347 lb/ft, stock. The reason the get more out of it in the SQ5 is because there is more room under the hood to fit a beefier block and better cooling capacity, allowing them to turn up the boost.

There are several after-market ECU upgrades out there that can easily take the power over 400 HP. Additional gains can be had by replacing the SC pulley with a smaller one, or the crank pulley with a larger one. (GMG makes one where the accessory pulley is the same original size so nothing else is over-driven.) My preference would be the larger crank pulley because it increases the surface area of the belt, rather than decreasing it and causing slippage of the SC pulley. It's 7% larger, uses the same belt, and is simpler to replace.

Changing either pulley with result in more low-end power and improved throttle response. However, without the ECU upgrade, all of that additional pressure will be dumped above 5000 RPM. Of course, all of these upgrades will most likely void your warranty. Audi can detect if the ECU was tampered with, even if it was changed back. At least you can neatly replace a stock pulley.

My SQ5 arrives next week. I may do the crank pulley change, just because it's simple and can provide modest gains without destroying my warranty.
There is no difference between the 3.0T in the SQ5 and the other 3.0Ts. No bigger block, no better cooling. There are no part number differences.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NABS4
There is no difference between the 3.0T in the SQ5 and the other 3.0Ts. No bigger block, no better cooling. There are no part number differences.
pwnt
Old 05-02-2014, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

pwnt
owned?

Quick Reply: SQ5 rated at 345 HP vs our 310HP