Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Shifting Paddles

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 06:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting Paddles

Hi guys!

Still thinking of my new next purchase.

In the while Id like to ask you some: while driving my friend's Ferrari Ive noticed you can use an interesting feature while using shifting paddles. Thats what happens:
1) if you keep pressed left and right paddle at the same time, it happens to switch from D to Neutral

2) If you are in Parking mode with your shifter and you happen to trigger the right paddle, the car switches in Drive mode.

How does it work on A6?

Cheeers
Old 03-31-2016, 06:50 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

The Audi doesn't work anything like the Ferrari....Totally different systems and manufacturers.
I thought on the Ferrari that holding both paddles was one of the steps for launch control.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not that way

The Ferrari is a a Manu- matic whereas the A6 is an automatic, it just has paddles that allow you to somewhat control how it shifts. The car can still override your actions, I don't think that is the case with the Ferrari.
So the paddles on the A6 will allow you to up shift and down shift, pulling both of them back won't do anything special.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Paddles are pretty useless in my opinion. They don't add anything to the driving experience on street cars.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Transporter208
Paddles are pretty useless in my opinion. They don't add anything to the driving experience on street cars.
It's the closest thing we have to an engaging driving experience for daily driving.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I have them on my A6 and have to disagree. They are very useful for regular driving particularly for downshifting, providing better control - same concept as a manual transmission. Since Audi has had the manual tiptronic gearshift lever for many years, it made sense to extend the function to the paddles so the driver can shift more quickly and maintain both hands on the steering wheel.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 887 Likes on 726 Posts

Your TDI is much quicker if you up shift at 3800 rpms
Old 04-02-2016, 01:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ColoradoMark
The Ferrari is a a Manu- matic whereas the A6 is an automatic, it just has paddles that allow you to somewhat control how it shifts. The car can still override your actions, I don't think that is the case with the Ferrari.
So the paddles on the A6 will allow you to up shift and down shift, pulling both of them back won't do anything special.
From my experience with the 2016 A6, when the gear shifter is pushed to manual mode, the car will override your actions as you slow down and don't downshift but won't upshift automatically (I may not have pushed the car hard enough yet!) and will stay in "manual" mode. Engaging "manual" mode using the paddle shifter is temporary...without a change in gear the car will revert to automatic.

Coming from a 6-speed manual, I find myself missing a true manual. Next car will be a manual (if they're still around).
Old 04-02-2016, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Yeah, with the paddles will downshift as the car slows slow and will return to the previous selected auto mode (D or S) after a few seconds so long as you aren't accelerating and the speed achieves a constant mph. If instead of the paddles you use the console shifter in manual mode, the selected gear remains constant unless you 1) reach red line and then it will upshift or 2) you come to a stop and then it reverts to 1st gear.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I have them on my A6 and have to disagree. They are very useful for regular driving particularly for downshifting, providing better control - same concept as a manual transmission. Since Audi has had the manual tiptronic gearshift lever for many years, it made sense to extend the function to the paddles so the driver can shift more quickly and maintain both hands on the steering wheel.
+1
I occasionally use my paddles to unleash the car's potential when absolutely necessary. Normal downshifting and up shifting not a concern for normal driving that most do. It's still stock transmission so I don't push it.

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 04-03-2016 at 08:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Shifting Paddles