Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Seat leather stretching after 2 weeks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for being patient for the pix. Everytime I'm in the car, it's dark out and the flash washes out the wrinkle details.

As far as the color mismatch, the C7 door panels are leather. They match the Premium's seats, but not the Prestige.

I've had cars for 20 years that show less leather stretching than the two week old C7. As I mentioned in the OP, this is something the dealership has seen, but never on a car this new.
Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2014, 08:08 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The door panel material is the same between the P+ and Prestige. The seat difference accounts for the seat ventilation on the prestige. The "full leather" is an option in other countries, but it's standard on the S6 in the US. The S6 uses nappa leather rather than verano in the A6.

This used A6 Prestige with <5k miles has the same stretch. I'd say it's normal and it probably won't stretch any further than it has: http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1
Old 01-10-2014, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for that post. The curious thing is that the passenger seat on my car and the car in the ad shows no stretching. The other thing your post reminds me is that the dealer service manager says that all the seats with stretching complaints were brown, just like the ad car.

When it's light out, I'll snap some pix of door vs. seat. There's a color difference in addition to a texture difference.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

From the photo it looks to me like one of two things:
1) Inferior cushioning material under the leather that does not rebound after no one is in the car for a while. Note, all leather seats look like this is the person sitting on them has just gotten out, but they rebound and look more plumped or smooth after a short period.
2) A very heavy person has been sitting on the seat.
The stretching I thought you were discussing (and I had) is related to the actual fit in the corners, where there was bunched leather that never goes away. To me the condition you have is more like bagging than stretching – it may not matter, both are not great.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I had this happen in both of my 2009 A4 front seats. Audi authorized the dealer to send the car over to an auto upholstery shop which corrected the sagging but the passenger seat did it again to a lesser degree in about a year. My Prestige A6 has not had any sagging but is showing a bit of wear on the driver seat outside bolster.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:50 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

happened to me last year in the passenger's seat, wrinkage and sagging, I complained, Audi said that was normal wear and tear, so i told them if that is the case how the driver's is not showing it, when for sure there is always someone driving, but not always a passenger.
with that argument they agreed to replace the passenger's side, and NOW the driver's is showing the same, I will try now to use the argument that the passengers side has been replaced under warranty and now the driver's is showing the same, lets see what happens.
I have that in my list of things to fix next time I am in service along with
1 weird fan noise when the AC is at 3-4
2 Wind noise on driver's side at freeway speeds.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:39 PM
Banned

It sounds like it's a normal break-in, not wear and tear, as it happens to both front seats over time. The nappa in my Mercedes did the same thing, only it would also take an imprint of the seam from my jeans - damn soft leather!
Old 01-10-2014, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by in2dwww
It sounds like it's a normal break-in, not wear and tear, as it happens to both front seats over time. The nappa in my Mercedes did the same thing, only it would also take an imprint of the seam from my jeans - damn soft leather!
This car has less than 700 miles on it. That's about 20 hours of seat time, max.

The Nappa in my 2011 S4 looks better than the C7.

In any case, dealer is willing to go to bat with ACNA if it continues to stretch...and it seems to be doing exactly that.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey street. I would probably would have never looked that thoroughly but my seats seem to be more stretched than any other lux brands I've owned. Granted I agree the leather is soft so a little sag and stretch is probably normal but mine did seem a bit more. I'm in the car probably about 45 mins a day and would consider myself not a big guy at all. No offense to anyone!!
Attached Images   
Old 01-19-2014, 04:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have about 2k miles on it

Quick Reply: Seat leather stretching after 2 weeks?