Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Rotor Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, at less than 30K miles in fact. The dealer's technician said the front rotors were warped and pads needed to be changed. At least, I assume it was the technician and not the service writer trying to make a few extra bucks ($925 worth). This said, after ordering parts and making the swap, I felt a touch of misrepresentation was afoot. My run out dial wasn't much help in determining if there was warpage, but for sure there was still lots of lining left... about 40%. Regardless, the swap out did seem to improve braking and got rid of some vibration the wife (her car) was noticing.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mc0898
I purchased a certified 2016 A6 10 days ago and dropped it off yesterday to have the breaks looked at because of feeling some vibration when breaking hard on the interstate. At first, I ignored it then I read this thread. After having it all day they called back to say the front rotors need to be replaced and they are talking to the used car manager to see if he would pay for new rotors. I snapped back pretty quick and asked why it wasn't identified during the certification process and he said that was his question. Really makes me question the quality of the certification. I will see what they say today when I meet with him. If I hadn't seen this thread I would have probably been paying for new rotors down the road. Thanks!
the CPO process should DEF have spotted it and replaced it, I would demand it to be done under CPO if not.

I know they replace my brakes during the CPO process, and it lasted about 35k. no vibration, just normal wear.... I recently replaced it with power slot and akebono pads
Old 07-27-2018, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fithian
My dealer replaced my rotors at 22k miles. They said they were warped. Covered by warranty after lots of complaining. My problem is that they were probably replaced with the OE rotors, so I can expect them to warp as well at 44k miles. I have used Zimmerman in the past and they have been fine.
Update at 49k miles. The rotors have warped again and Audi refuses to replace them again. Time to go third party rotors and pads. Suggestions?
Old 07-27-2018, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Out with OEM

Update at 49k miles. The rotors have warped again and Audi refuses to replace them again. Time to go third party rotors and pads. Suggestions?
I earlier mentioned that my experience with Audi OE rotors and pads was far less than satisfying and decided to do my own brake work using EBC components. The experience on the Allroad after changing to EBC rotors and Red Stuff pads has been very good. The A6 seemed to develop a bit of shudder with the standard EBC rotors and Red Stuff so I decided to update to their slotted rotor and Yellow Stuff pads. The Red Stuff has very little brake dust, not so with the Yellow Stuff, but the braking performance is excellent. I am sure there are other aftermarket brake components that are equally acceptable, but I would not hesitate a second to move away from OE to something arguably better. You will save some cash and gain longevity.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Well, at least you got 27,000 miles out of them. My first set of back rotors went at 8500 miles and fronts at 11,000 or so miles. I'm at 27,000 miles and so far so good. I hope to get 25,000-30,000 miles on the rotors replaced under warranty before they need to be replaced. I drive like a little old lady. My old Acura TL went through rotors (fronts) but I always managed to get 30,000+ before needing to machine them. Vorsprung durch technik indeed. LOL. The price of driving German it seems. I too shall say goodbye to OEM Audi when the time comes.

Best,
Jeff
Old 09-27-2018, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insult to Injury

I complained at 11,000 miles that braking from 80 MPH produced a shuddering. Around town the brakes were good. The dealer's verdict - "could not duplicate". Now they are shuddering around town at 24,000 miles. Today I went to the dealer and complained again. The verdict - "although the pads are good you need new front rotors". The cost for rotors and pads is $1250 for the fronts only and they won't guarantee that it won't happen again. Oh, and brakes aren't covered under the warranty even if I complained at 11,000 miles. H'mm. I suppose they have to recoup the Diesel debacle losses somehow. They wanted to hose me on a new set of tires also.

An indie will put Akebono rotors and pads on the front for $835. That makes the decision very easy. I'll put them all around for less than the Audi fronts. This was my first and now is probably my last Audi. I switched from years of BMW because the 2016 A6 handled and accelerated better than the 2016 BMW 540. The 2018 BMW is improved and almost comparable to my 2016 Audi in that respect. Unless the 2019 Audi is somehow a superlative machine it's goodbye for me.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On my 2014 A6 TDI Prestige I got 68,000 from the original pads and rotors, replaced with OEM and still fine at 78,000 miles. Yes there is dust but no warping, no squeal, just good brakes. On my 2002 A4 tried Zimmerman rotors and they warped after 5000 miles. Tried Zimmerman again, warped, went back to OEM no warp, car has nearly 300,000 miles and no warp with OEM. Unusual I am sure but that has been my history.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidglt66
On my 2014 A6 TDI Prestige I got 68,000 from the original pads and rotors, replaced with OEM and still fine at 78,000 miles. Yes there is dust but no warping, no squeal, just good brakes. On my 2002 A4 tried Zimmerman rotors and they warped after 5000 miles. Tried Zimmerman again, warped, went back to OEM no warp, car has nearly 300,000 miles and no warp with OEM. Unusual I am sure but that has been my history.
That's good to hear. It may have to do with my S-Line configuration or just luck of the draw. But, reading this forum and looking at Consumer Reports, I think 2016 may have been a bad year for A6 rotors. Before and after seem to be OK according to CR. I wish my dealer would tell me this won't happen again in 10,000 miles if I replace them, but they won't. I don't need or want the aggravation.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by radarguy
That's good to hear. It may have to do with my S-Line configuration or just luck of the draw. But, reading this forum and looking at Consumer Reports, I think 2016 may have been a bad year for A6 rotors. Before and after seem to be OK according to CR. I wish my dealer would tell me this won't happen again in 10,000 miles if I replace them, but they won't. I don't need or want the aggravation.
radarguy, don't know about that. My /15 3.0T got new pads and rotors under warranty (rear @ 8500 miles and front @11,500 miles or thereabouts). Now with 28,000 miles both front and rear rotors look somewhat grooved, although braking performance is fine and no shudder on braking. So, while the replacement set is clearly better than the originals it seems to me that brakes are a bit of a weak point on the A6. My Acura rotors are always clean and shiny with no grooves/scoring. I hope to get 30,000 out of the brakes but not holding my breath. When time comes for replacement I'm actually going to look for a pad with more initial "bite" to replicate the BMW feel -- don't care about dust as car gets washed once a week without fail. Maybe a softer pad will be easier on the rotors. I had my car at the dealer for a while -- replacement of upper timing chain tensioners under warranty (there is a TSB about this) and they gave me an A5 sport back. The braking performance was superb -- much better feel than my A6.

Best,
Jeff
Old 09-28-2018, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Nearly identical experience as others here. Front brake rotors exhibiting classic signs of "warpage" or "pad material transfer" or "uneven rotor wear/thickness" depending on your chosen theory, at about the 22,000 mile mark. Same story from dealer, pads are at about 50% but rotors are shot and NOT covered by warranty. WTF ?!?! I understand that wear items, such as brake pads, are not covered under warranty, nor would I expect them to be. But in this case, the brakes are clearly not worn out. By design, the brake pads are the wear item, not the rotor, at least not at this mileage and certainly should not be wearing at a faster rate than the pads. This is a classic case of a "defect in materials and/or workmanship" if there ever was one!

Dealer also quoted about $1200 for the repair but lo and behold the rotors are on national backorder! Had a local indie shop that specializes in Audi install Zimmermann #100.3357.20 rotors and Akebono #EUR1549 pads. Very happy with these parts so far. Not so happy with Audi...

Quick Reply: Rotor Issues