Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Road trip story

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd like to clarify that my system's failure is my own fault. When I first took bumper off for my grille swap I disconnected a metal bracket not knowing any better. I believe this was the reason for the misalignment. It's all explained in another post. Others on forum say they have removed and reinstalled bumper with no effect to their ACC system.

I've not yet used the ACC in heavy rain. During that kind of weather I prefer to do my own driving and not depend on the car (maybe I should)

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 06-09-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road trip story

Originally Posted by jjsC6
Congrats on doing a road trip and avoiding freeways. I ride the back roads all the time on my motorcycles. Everyone should try adventures like that. I love country roads.
Thanks for that. Two lane road trips in car grew from my riding my motorcycle on vacations. Riding freeway on bikes is boring to say the least. In cars or on bikes, it is much more enjoyable seeing small town America rather than the eight lane loop around large cities.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by IknowHuhA6
Others on forum say they have removed and reinstalled bumper with no effect to their ACC system.
I can attest to that. My bumper was removed for repair and painting after my accident and was replaced with no effect on my ACC. No alignment was necessary.

I'm not sure what folks mean when they say it "turns off" in traffic. Perhaps they are experiencing something else but ACC is designed to disengage if stopped after 15 second IIRC. It can be re-engaged by either pulling up on the ACC stalk or simply tapping on the gas pedal.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Hello again

the ACC system was in my car I bought used and progressively would get these no vision errors / braking guard issues more and more as time went on. I finally bit the bullet and paid the re-alignment 850.00 fee (which I was told would help...). my service mechanic told me that one screw / backstop on one sensor was not seeded correctly (which he fixed) and re-aligned / calibrated everything.

since then, I have not had a single error / vision issue.

as to how it got that way, I can't say. but it is all fixed now.

Last edited by Silver42; 06-09-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BSullivan
... An interesting side note is that I had one of the front sensors fail a couple of months ago. The bad sensor was replaced by a dealer.
Any ideas? Anyone had anything similar happen?
Just realized.... when they switched out your sensor, did they do a recalibration? Manual says it's required when an ACC sensors is replaced (Not parking sensors). If not done this could potentially explain a small misalignment. Just a thought.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I do not have ACC but have a question.
Memorial Day weekend I was in a rain storm that went from clear highway to totally opaque rain in about 1/8 mile. I was cruising on the interstate (it was a bit overcast but normal) then suddenly it looked like the first 20 or so cars on the road ahead of me just disappeared. I quickly realized it was raining up there and in like 2-3 seconds I had to pound on the brakes and eventually come to a stop unable to see anything ahead of me.
Before this I saw a sign for the exit being ¼ mile ahead so my plan was to somehow get to the exit and get off this death trap. During this nightmare (the worst rain I have ever seen in more than 50 years of driving) semi-trailers were not slowing or stopping; they just barreled along. I did not want to sit in this zero visibility traffic lane and risk being rear-ended by a nut job doing 70 mph.
I advanced a foot or so each time unable to see the brake lights of the car ahead of me. A few times the rain eased enough to be able to see the faint red glow of the brake/tail lights of the car ahead of me that I followed very gingerly until I unknowingly hit the exit curb (damaging the wheel very slightly).
When the rain eased I was able to get onto a local road and into a Dunkin Donuts parking lot. I got out and talked to the guy ahead of me who had hit the cub at greater speed, really crunching his tire and wheel. His car rode up a bit on the curb and he was fearful he had broken something in the suspension. He too was amazed that we could not even see anything more than a few inches from the windshield. He said the car ahead of him had its flashers on the whole time but he (and me) couldn’t see them it was so opaque.
Later that night there was a local TV news story about a multi-car accident on the highway almost exactly where I had been – no wonder. My thought was I was lucky to have sustained only a mild case of curb rash.
In any event, my question is whether ACC would have given guidance about the curbing I was blindly driving into (albeit at like ½ mph).
Old 06-10-2016, 09:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sensor replacement

Originally Posted by IknowHuhA6
Just realized.... when they switched out your sensor, did they do a recalibration? Manual says it's required when an ACC sensors is replaced (Not parking sensors). If not done this could potentially explain a small misalignment. Just a thought.
I don't know whether an recalibration was done or not, no mention of that in work order, so probably not. Work order states: "...Front left center parking sensor internal electrical failure. R/R front left center parking sensor. Erased faults. Test drive 24775-24780 miles. Verified repair." I will call dealer and ask service adviser if re-calibration is called for when replacing parking sensors.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I do not have ACC but have a question.
Memorial Day weekend I was in a rain storm that went from clear highway to totally opaque rain in about 1/8 mile. I was cruising on the interstate (it was a bit overcast but normal) then suddenly it looked like the first 20 or so cars on the road ahead of me just disappeared. I quickly realized it was raining up there and in like 2-3 seconds I had to pound on the brakes and eventually come to a stop unable to see anything ahead of me.
Before this I saw a sign for the exit being ¼ mile ahead so my plan was to somehow get to the exit and get off this death trap. During this nightmare (the worst rain I have ever seen in more than 50 years of driving) semi-trailers were not slowing or stopping; they just barreled along. I did not want to sit in this zero visibility traffic lane and risk being rear-ended by a nut job doing 70 mph.
I advanced a foot or so each time unable to see the brake lights of the car ahead of me. A few times the rain eased enough to be able to see the faint red glow of the brake/tail lights of the car ahead of me that I followed very gingerly until I unknowingly hit the exit curb (damaging the wheel very slightly).
When the rain eased I was able to get onto a local road and into a Dunkin Donuts parking lot. I got out and talked to the guy ahead of me who had hit the cub at greater speed, really crunching his tire and wheel. His car rode up a bit on the curb and he was fearful he had broken something in the suspension. He too was amazed that we could not even see anything more than a few inches from the windshield. He said the car ahead of him had its flashers on the whole time but he (and me) couldn’t see them it was so opaque.
Later that night there was a local TV news story about a multi-car accident on the highway almost exactly where I had been – no wonder. My thought was I was lucky to have sustained only a mild case of curb rash.
In any event, my question is whether ACC would have given guidance about the curbing I was blindly driving into (albeit at like ½ mph).
No, first of all the radar sensors would have been as blind as you and second the system only detects moving objects. It will let you drive into a wall, unless the wall is moving :-). It will also not stop for cars that it didn't see move, before they came to a stop. For example if you come up a hill and suddenly you are facing a stopped car at a red light on top of the hill. It will plow right into it.

Last edited by superswiss; 06-10-2016 at 09:23 AM.