Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Excessive Road Noise? I'm thinking it's the Pirelli's...

Old 09-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive Road Noise? I'm thinking it's the Pirelli's...

Have not posted much on here and was not able to find much searching for Pirelli or road noise as the title thread. I own a 2012 A6 3.0T Prestige w/ 19" Sport Pkg and also a 2012 R8 V10. Both have been fabulous cars thus far, though unfortunately I don't get enough chances to drive the R8 due to my work schedule (only 1800 miles on the ODO since taking delivery 6 months ago).

Well both of the cars have P-Zero tires. The A6 now has 17,500 miles, and over time the road noise and the ride comfort has taken a nose dive. I cannot say the same for the R8 since it only has 1800 miles on it, but I do not notice as much road noise in it as in the A6. I noticed the road noise in the A6 pretty early on, and unless I am driving on a newly paved road, there is a constant growl coming from the tires. It is terrible on rough sections of concrete, pavement with small cracks in it, etc. The ride comfort is also pretty poor over bumpy roads, or even the filler they use on cracks in the pavement. On a side note, I also have noticed the same thing on a few A4 loaners I drove while my A6 was in the shop for routine maintenance. I observed that they also had Pirelli tires, albeit a different model. So this makes two possibilities: either Pirelli tires pretty much suck across the board for road noise, or there is poor engineering on Audi's part in keeping road noise out.

My plan at this time is to replace the P-Zero tires, which still have over 50% tread, with either Hankook Ventus Noble S12 or Bridgestone RE970. I am hoping this will solve the problem or greatly help, but I would love to hear other members input on this. If you suffered from similar issues, how much did replacing with different tires help? Hope to get some replies! Thanks!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This has been discussed on the S6 forum since the cars come with Pzeros. Yes the tires are noisy. Most folks are replacing with Michelin Pilot Super Sports (myself included) and they make a big difference in noise comfort with a step up in performance, but they're not cheap however.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RobC
This has been discussed on the S6 forum since the cars come with Pzeros. Yes the tires are noisy. Most folks are replacing with Michelin Pilot Super Sports (myself included) and they make a big difference in noise comfort with a step up in performance, but they're not cheap however.
Thanks for the input. I do not need summer tires on the car, especially given it is a dd that I will use all four seasons. I have the R8 for the fun stuff lol. How do you like the S6?
Old 09-11-2013, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I dumped my P-Zeros after 500 miles and went with the RE970 and have been very pleased. I've never been a fan of any Pirelli since my 09 A4 which came with Pirelli P6 (sometimes referred to as the "PPS" - Pirelli Perfectly Square). RE970 noise is not bad at all, especially when compared to the P-Zeros and handling, IMO, is very close as well. Tread life will be about 35-40% better with the RE970AS.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by PunjabiM3
Thanks for the input. I do not need summer tires on the car, especially given it is a dd that I will use all four seasons. I have the R8 for the fun stuff lol. How do you like the S6?
The Michelin just came out with some all season pilot super sport tires. They haven't been thoroughly tried but because of how well the summer tires are it is something to consider.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love the S6, as do most owners who value luxury and comfort above ultimate performance. It has all the stuff you like about your A6, but with much a more powerful motor, adjustable suspension, better braking, and lightning fast dual-clutch transmission. With tons of down-low torque it makes a most excellent daily driver and if you choose to chip it, will give your R8 V10 a run for the money at the drag strip. For a DD I can't think of another car I'd rather have (except maybe an S8).
Old 09-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RobC
I love the S6, as do most owners who value luxury and comfort above ultimate performance. It has all the stuff you like about your A6, but with much a more powerful motor, adjustable suspension, better braking, and lightning fast dual-clutch transmission. With tons of down-low torque it makes a most excellent daily driver and if you choose to chip it, will give your R8 V10 a run for the money at the drag strip. For a DD I can't think of another car I'd rather have (except maybe an S8).
Thanks for posting. I may eventually pick up a used RS6, RS7, or M6 Gran Coupe a few years down the road. For now the A6 does great with its combo of power and 30+ MPG on the highway. I'm sure a chipped S6 would be a tough challenge in a straight line in my R8 especially given I am average MT6 driver. But the sound of that V10 cannot be beat, nor can the handling.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Have not posted much on here and was not able to find much searching for Pirelli or road noise as the title thread. I own a 2012 A6 3.0T Prestige w/ 19" Sport Pkg and also a 2012 R8 V10. Both have been fabulous cars thus far, though unfortunately I don't get enough chances to drive the R8 due to my work schedule (only 1800 miles on the ODO since taking delivery 6 months ago).

Well both of the cars have P-Zero tires. The A6 now has 17,500 miles, and over time the road noise and the ride comfort has taken a nose dive. I cannot say the same for the R8 since it only has 1800 miles on it, but I do not notice as much road noise in it as in the A6. I noticed the road noise in the A6 pretty early on, and unless I am driving on a newly paved road, there is a constant growl coming from the tires. It is terrible on rough sections of concrete, pavement with small cracks in it, etc. The ride comfort is also pretty poor over bumpy roads, or even the filler they use on cracks in the pavement. On a side note, I also have noticed the same thing on a few A4 loaners I drove while my A6 was in the shop for routine maintenance. I observed that they also had Pirelli tires, albeit a different model. So this makes two possibilities: either Pirelli tires pretty much suck across the board for road noise, or there is poor engineering on Audi's part in keeping road noise out.

My plan at this time is to replace the P-Zero tires, which still have over 50% tread, with either Hankook Ventus Noble S12 or Bridgestone RE970. I am hoping this will solve the problem or greatly help, but I would love to hear other members input on this. If you suffered from similar issues, how much did replacing with different tires help? Hope to get some replies! Thanks!
Many summer performance tires experience a significant degradation starting about 1/2 through the tire life. The way one friend puts it "For the first 12 thousand miles I love my car, then for the second 12 thousand I hate my car everyday and want to get rid of it. Then I replace my tires and fall in love with my car again."

Just get different tires.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Homer1946
Many summer performance tires experience a significant degradation starting about 1/2 through the tire life. The way one friend puts it "For the first 12 thousand miles I love my car, then for the second 12 thousand I hate my car everyday and want to get rid of it. Then I replace my tires and fall in love with my car again."

Just get different tires.
Can that analogy be applied to wives as well? jk....
Old 09-11-2013, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think all summer tires take a dive when they get down to 4-5/32.

They all get noisier.

The problem with the pzero is the horrible noise up-front. Even with 1000 miles on them and 1 month of driving, they are loud loud loud.

What use to drive me nuts the most was the deceleration from 40-0 and lower speeds. They hum and whirl like crazy and almost made me hate driving my car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Excessive Road Noise? I'm thinking it's the Pirelli's...