Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Rear ended

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Inyoury
So the other guy apparently was driving his fiancé's car and he is not covered by her insurance...

So her insurance company deined the claim. I am having my insurance cover the damages and I will pay a deductible out of pocket.

This experience is not what I am used to. Where I am from, the insurance companies handle everything within a day or two (one day when you give them the video from the dash cams).

In Pennsylvania it is illegal to drive without an insurance. The only way to drive without an insurance is to get permission from a vehicle owner who has insurance and can extend their coverage to other drivers. Which didn't apply in my case...

A bit frustrated at the moment. But I'm glad I wasn't hurt besides a couple of days of soreness in my upper back, but that seemed to have cleared now.

What are the chances that the insurance company can get money from the person that hit my car and me being reimbursed for the deductible?

Should I contact the police and report this person? I did get a call from his very tired sounding fiancé with a new born baby crying in the background. I worry they are already in a tight financial bind. I know I should take a harsher stance of people who ignore safety for others especially when they are operating heavy machinery. My wife thinks I should report the case. Her argument is that if the accident happened before I dropped off my son at school and what if he had gotten hurt?

I'm in a bit of a though situation...
Any wisdom would be appreciated.
Thanks
It is illegal to drive without insurance in CA. However, that does not stop people from doing it. I believe that as long as the car was not stolen and the person had permission to drive it than the insurance company is legally required to cover the claim. Best of luck getting justice.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I believe most states require insurance and I also agree that most policies should cover a temporary driver. Not sure, but if the fiancee lives in the same household with the insured but was not placed on the policy, that might be a different issue in some states.