Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

My funny ECU upgrade story

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My funny ECU upgrade story

At least its funny to me....
My birthday is on the 28th of December and it was a milestone one at that. I crossed the big 4-0 so I decided to get my ECU upgraded "Stage 1" from GIAC as a gift to myself. I live in Italy and the only vendor that works here in Naples is Revo and they charge Euros and weren't having a christmas special. Plus the GIAC switcher is a big benefit (already ordered the Bluetooth adapter). Of course the GIAC upgrade posed some logistical hurdles but I spoke with Thomas from GIAC sales and he helped me out.
My vacation was scheduled from the 22st of Dec to the 1st of Jan. I was flying to Northern Virginia and GIAC is in Irvine California. GIAC offices were only available to do the upgrade on the C7 3.0 starting on the 30th of Dec because the technician for my upgrade was on vacation. Needless to say I had to walk fine line to get this done.
So on Nov 22nd I drove to Rome and parked in the guarded VIP Executive parking garage, disconnected the battery and the removed the ECU from under the windshield wiper reservoir and flew to the the US. (I had to leave the car unlocked) On Monday the 23rd I mailed the ECU to Irvine so they could flash it on the 30th and overnight it back to me on the 31st so I could fly with it on the 1st.
Long story short; It all happened as planned and I flew back to Italy and when I got to my car to replace the ECU I was hit with a bit of nervousness.
I was 150 miles from my home with a car part that if it didn't work would strand me and my family at the airport. My wife and daughter were with me in the cold lugging 3 carry-ons and three bags stuffed with Christmas gifts. Putting the car back together took far longer than it did to remove the parts. I was tired, cold, and groggy after landing at 7 AM on the morning of the 2nd. After a good 15 minutes of hard labor I was done. My wife was glaring at me as I sat behind the seat to start my trusted friend up.
I pressed the Start Button... a slight hesitation and she began to purr. Then I heard the fans from the engine whirr and I knew I was I safe but how would she run??

I am not rich by any standard but I have had the opportunity to own a few great cars and this upgrade put this right above my 2002 E46 M3. (The last great Beemer IMHO). I would highly recommend this upgrade to anyone who wants to drive with a permanent smile on their faces.

The onslaught of added power coupled with the 8 speed ZF transmission has made me VERY happy. IT IS SOOOO FREAKING SMOOTH ON THE SHIFTS. BUTTER.
I think all the ECU tunes are similar but I do like the switcher from GIAC and definitely the service I got. GIAC was great and I highly recommend them. But you must have this upgrade.

Last edited by lmbatts; 01-02-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great story.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by lmbatts
At least its funny to me....
No, that's actually a great story - it would have been "funny" if it hadn't turned out well

Your signature piqued my curiosity too - do you mean your MMI has EU Nav? Feel free to respond via PM if that story is too gray to share...
Old 01-02-2014, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Great story. Didn't leave yourself much margin for error with the 1-day turnaround on getting the ECU back, especially with all the shipping problems FEDEX and UPS have been having this holiday season.

Looking at all the upgrades you've done, would it have been cheaper just to get an S6?
Old 01-02-2014, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes. LOL. My car is two years old tomorrow so the warranty in Europe is DOA. Yes I have EU maps in my Audi. I used VNSMedia to unlock the maps, radio, Audi Connect, and Google Maps. I actually have to resend because my audi connect speed is 2G and they have to change something. I am happy with it tho and they have been responsive. There is only a small community that needs the conversion but I am in that group
Old 01-02-2014, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Probably now what I have spent on upgrades would could have gotten me into an S6 but not equipped to the level of my car. No LED lights and some package differences.

BUT YES I WOULD HAVE PREFERRED TO HAVE AN S6 all things being equal.

I answered a thread about this a year ago but here is why I have and will probably keep my A6. Before I bought this car I had a 2006 A6 4.2. I loved the V8 and when I was looking to upgrade in 2010 (I ended up with a 4.2 Q7 Sline) I originally wanted the V10 S6. However the performance was bad (0-60 in 5.1; I use to own a M3 that would have beat it up one side and down the other) and more importantly there was a 20K premium on the price.

So when I ordered my 2012 A6 in Oct of 2011; I was already convinced that it was outside of my price range and I didn't think the performance difference would be that great. I was wrong. If I had known I would have waited and I am saying that while loving the car I have.

So today I have two issues-Cars like mine are difficult to sell to other Americans in Italy. The cost prevents many from being interested and the rester can order a custom built car like I did. I also have two boys with an ex-wife entering college in a few years and I have invested a fair amount of time and money in my current car so I don't imagine I will get the S6 for a while. It will be my next Audi but I won't be buying a new one on my normal 3 year cycle.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Little off topic. I saw a picture of your A6 in different thread. What is your secret behind quad-pipe exhaust?
Old 01-02-2014, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

That was an easy upgrade actually. Bought two pipe tips from a A7 driver on the forum. He upgraded to aftermarket tips. I purchased the rear valance and chrome bar from the Audi dealership for about 200 euros. I did a thread on it. I changed the rear valance and had the extra tips welded on. The muffler actually has a **** where the other tip goes on but make sure they are staggered. All in I think I spent 450 dollars. It looks great IMHO
Old 01-02-2014, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

awesome story, don't you love it when a plan comes together
Old 01-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Being an ex-BMW owner, I appreciate your modifications to your A6. I thought about adding S6 quad exhausts but am still hesitating. I spent a great deal of time trying to find DIY info for swapping brake pads and could not believe so little info available compared with BMW's. I got a feeling that most Audi owners not doing DIY and am really happy reading your story.

Quick Reply: My funny ECU upgrade story