Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Power Steering Module replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Module replacement

Hey Guys, first post here and looking for abit of help.
I own a 2015 Audi A6 S-Line , 2.0L Diesel with an Auto Transmission.
The other day my power steering unfortunately gave up due to the module on the steering rack being cracked & taking in water . The box is unrepairable due to the size of the cracks and amount of water which got in.
I've sourced a 2nd hand power steering rack which comes with a new Module. I'm thinking it should be possible to just remove my old damaged module from the rack I've just bought and swap it with the blown one in my car.
What Im wondering is if this is possible and secondly the part numbers of my two modules all match up except for the letters at the end.
The Part number on my blown module is 4G0.909.144.M where's my new module is 4G0.909.144.L
I understand from another thread here that the last letter relates to updates the module has received with the later the letter being the the most recent.
Just wondering is it possible to simply switch the modules or will the new module need to be coded.
Another option is to also just switch the old rack with the 2nd hand rack I've just bought?
Sorry for the long winded question but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-05-2024, 02:40 PM
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

The -L version is definitely an older hardware/software version(Appears to be used in model years 2012-2013) but according to aftermarket interchange info, it *appears* to be compatible. It doesn't seem that this module has component protection so you should be able to just plug it in without needing CP removal, however you'll almost certainly need to code it and you'll definitely need to re-learn the end stops. Does the old module still communicate at all such that you could connect to it, read the coding and write it down before swapping?
Old 01-06-2024, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Avantly
The -L version is definitely an older hardware/software version(Appears to be used in model years 2012-2013) but according to aftermarket interchange info, it *appears* to be compatible. It doesn't seem that this module has component protection so you should be able to just plug it in without needing CP removal, however you'll almost certainly need to code it and you'll definitely need to re-learn the end stops. Does the old module still communicate at all such that you could connect to it, read the coding and write it down before swapping?
Thanks very much for the reply.
Unfortunately it doesn't, it was completely filled with water and appears to be completely fried. Would swapping the rack completely avoid having to code the module? Unfortunately I know nothing about coding and don't particularly know anyone who can either. I'm taking it to be pretty expensive?
Old 01-06-2024, 04:04 PM
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

No, you can code it yourself with even the cheapest Ross-Tech Vag-com tool (I think it is up to about $199 now) which includes the latest version of their VCDS software. With purchase of the genuine tool, you also get access to the Ross Tech forums and those guys are absolutely amazing at helping out with all sorts of diagnosis, and definitely are the experts in coding modules when original coding has been lost. In your case, there are only a few possibilities for coding, I think it will be pretty easy to sort out. They continue to update the "coding helper" sections for each module and for all I know the needed coding info for the lost coding situation may already be in there - I can't check my S6 right now because it's stored for the winter.
You can also get counterfeit vag-com tools but I wouldn't recommend it as you get no access to the genuine forums, and also need to install the counterfeit software on a separate offline laptop as the cracked versions usually contain well-concealed malware. If you plan to continue to do service yourself, and/or continue to own VAG vehicles, the Ross Tech tool is an excellent investment. You will be able to scan and code every module in the car and do a ton of things that many of the "pro grade" tools from snapon and etc can't do. I used an older HEX+CAN tool from these guys until a few years ago, realized how much time and frustration the tool and forum access had saved me, and ended up buying their new HEXNET Pro tool. I sort of wish that I would have bought the two pack, just so I could leave one in my car at all times xD
I have other automotive diagnostic tools from OTC, Bosch, Autel, etc, but for VAG vehicles I am always using the Ross Tech tool. I have no financial interest in their company, I'm just a VCDS junkie, that's all.
Old 01-07-2024, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Avantly
No, you can code it yourself with even the cheapest Ross-Tech Vag-com tool (I think it is up to about $199 now) which includes the latest version of their VCDS software. With purchase of the genuine tool, you also get access to the Ross Tech forums and those guys are absolutely amazing at helping out with all sorts of diagnosis, and definitely are the experts in coding modules when original coding has been lost. In your case, there are only a few possibilities for coding, I think it will be pretty easy to sort out. They continue to update the "coding helper" sections for each module and for all I know the needed coding info for the lost coding situation may already be in there - I can't check my S6 right now because it's stored for the winter.
You can also get counterfeit vag-com tools but I wouldn't recommend it as you get no access to the genuine forums, and also need to install the counterfeit software on a separate offline laptop as the cracked versions usually contain well-concealed malware. If you plan to continue to do service yourself, and/or continue to own VAG vehicles, the Ross Tech tool is an excellent investment. You will be able to scan and code every module in the car and do a ton of things that many of the "pro grade" tools from snapon and etc can't do. I used an older HEX+CAN tool from these guys until a few years ago, realized how much time and frustration the tool and forum access had saved me, and ended up buying their new HEXNET Pro tool. I sort of wish that I would have bought the two pack, just so I could leave one in my car at all times xD
I have other automotive diagnostic tools from OTC, Bosch, Autel, etc, but for VAG vehicles I am always using the Ross Tech tool. I have no financial interest in their company, I'm just a VCDS junkie, that's all.
Thanks very much for taking the time to explain that, I was a little worried at the start it was going to be an extremely difficult coding job but your explanation has helped alot. I have a mechanic involved who told me he has access to one of these tools so we're hoping it won't be to much trouble. The car is actually not near me at the minute as I'm travelling for work and I probably won't be doing anything with it for awhile. I'll still be keeping an eye out for a steering rack with the exact serial number. I'll strongly consider buying one of them Ross Tech Vag-Com tools and educating myself on how to use them properly. As you pointed out it will be a great help to have access to the Ross-Tech forms for some help should I need it. Since I'm Running a car almost 10 years old it looks like I could use it plenty in the future. Again thanks very much for taking the time to explain that to me. I'll post an update once I get the car back on the road.
Old 04-02-2024, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any update with your car? I’m in the exact situation with just confirming my module is toast. I’m looking to buy a used module and wondering how to program it. I also can only find modules with different letters at the end of the part number and hoping they are compatible. Thanks!
Old 04-26-2024, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Part

Originally Posted by 15AudiA6C7
Hey Guys, first post here and looking for abit of help.
I own a 2015 Audi A6 S-Line , 2.0L Diesel with an Auto Transmission.
The other day my power steering unfortunately gave up due to the module on the steering rack being cracked & taking in water . The box is unrepairable due to the size of the cracks and amount of water which got in.
I've sourced a 2nd hand power steering rack which comes with a new Module. I'm thinking it should be possible to just remove my old damaged module from the rack I've just bought and swap it with the blown one in my car.
What Im wondering is if this is possible and secondly the part numbers of my two modules all match up except for the letters at the end.
The Part number on my blown module is 4G0.909.144.M where's my new module is 4G0.909.144.L
I understand from another thread here that the last letter relates to updates the module has received with the later the letter being the the most recent.
Just wondering is it possible to simply switch the modules or will the new module need to be coded.
Another option is to also just switch the old rack with the 2nd hand rack I've just bought?
Sorry for the long winded question but any help would be greatly appreciated.
hi I want to as I recondition my steering rack Audi a6 2017 sline were can I find the module to do the coding I can’t find it anywhere plz help