Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Power Folding Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Both mirrors are supposed to fold, no individual setting on my car at least.
You can manually force mirrors to fold while in park using mirror tilt **** on passenger door panel by turning it to mirror fold position.

I agree chances are the motor is damaged. This would require removal of door panel to remove mirror and replace it. You can try doing it yourself if you're mechanically inclined. Just follow my top view retrofit thread to find the section on replacing mirrors. I had to swap mine out for top-view mirrors with cameras.

Page 11, post 104
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...883746/page11/

Our mirrors have motors that are set to a specific range of motion. They are NOT intended to twist forward. Some believe they can fold forward as a safety precaution in case you hit the mirror while backing up. This will break the motor's range of motion.

My right mirror accidentally was folded forward and has been intermittently failing ever since. Motor needs resetting but have not yet learned or had time to do this. For now... if I manually fold mirrors in using ****, and then use **** to fold them back out. The bad mirror folds back out to correct position after using **** to fold in and back out. So it's a temporary work-around for me until I get it fixed.

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 09-22-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Hefe
It was on, I've deselected, reselected. I've gone back and forth. Only one mirror will wink at me. I'll call Audi tomorrow I suppose :/
As a test I would try the switch on the driver's door and see if the non-functional mirror responds to being manually told to fold. If it does fold wiyh that switch,then likely it is not the motor, but some connectivity element.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hefe
How much did that set you back?...my wife wants to know...
At genuineaudiparts.com the part runs 595 to 900 depending on your model. If you're under warranty it should be covered.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

yeah mine just broke as well....now only one side would move, and the broken side is not opening to the full position (unless I manually move it)

Taking it in a few weeks to get it fix since I am still under CPO warranty (which I think it will cover it)
Old 11-09-2016, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
As a test I would try the switch on the driver's door and see if the non-functional mirror responds to being manually told to fold. If it does fold wiyh that switch,then likely it is not the motor, but some connectivity element.
Try adjusting the mirror while you're at it. If the mirror adjustment motors work, it might not be a conductivity issue.

If you're paying the bill, leave the mirrors deployed. It's hard to believe but I've driven cars for the last forty years that had non folding mirrors. Damn few had electrical adjusters too.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

OP, don't settle for small cup holders, easy DIY:

Old 11-13-2016, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

The car comes with "cup holders" not mug holders. Maybe Audi should offer the "Big Gulp" option😄
Old 11-14-2016, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default part source?

What did you make the upper cup holders out of?
Originally Posted by Mesquite77
OP, don't settle for small cup holders, easy DIY:

Old 11-14-2016, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

The inners are bottom 1/2 of a 1 qt or 1 litre chemical bottle (got from a veterinarian friend actually), fairly stiff plastic. The outer some scrap leather from a leather shop, some shoe glue. What I like, is the tops are now even with the center console arm rest so you don't have to reach down to grab your cup. Fits a beverage koozie nicely, and the bottoms are a nice tight fit in original cup holder, as you know if you try to get your drink out without spilling it...
Old 11-22-2016, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by r1racer
At genuineaudiparts.com the part runs 595 to 900 depending on your model. If you're under warranty it should be covered.
Just picked up my '12 yesterday after it being at the dealership for same folding and side assist issue. Took a week waiting for parts from Germany. Apparently Audi paid my dealership $3k for the warranty work. $800 parts.

Quick Reply: Power Folding Mirrors