Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

pothole damage

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 08:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Actually the door sticker is for max load (driver, three passengers and luggage). The manual's PSI for normal load is for driver, and passenger. If you use the max load PSI, there will actually be less flex in the sidewalls to absorb potholes increasing the chance for damage. I usually go a lb or two above normal load as a compromise between ride and handling and reserve full load PSI for when going on a trip with a full trunk of luggage.
I have a driver, 2 passengers and luggage. But considering that I'm 320lbs, may as well be 3 passengers.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by q5q7
I guess it is ok not to use Audi dealer for this?
The dealer (any dealer) would be the last place I would go to for non warranty tire & wheel work.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
The dealer (any dealer) would be the last place I would go to for non warranty tire & wheel work.
I think that would depend on the dealer. Mine uses the Hunter GSP9700 Road Force balancer, quality alignment equipment and has techs that really know what they're doing. They also have a wheel repair guy that comes by twice a week that does an excellent job. (They don't straighten wheels, however). Their prices are close to par in my area. By the same token, I've had some poor experiences with dedicated tire/wheel shops not doing a very good job. It's tough to generalize.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Their prices are close to par in my area. By the same token, I've had some poor experiences with dedicated tire/wheel shops not doing a very good job. It's tough to generalize.
Thanks for the update. I judge from what has been my limited experiences with dealerships. It seems like whenever I take in a car under warranty, the service representative looks at me like I'm growing a third eye and tells me that they never heard of that problem before and it must be caused by something that I did or didn't do.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Thanks for the update. I judge from what has been my limited experiences with dealerships. It seems like whenever I take in a car under warranty, the service representative looks at me like I'm growing a third eye and tells me that they never heard of that problem before and it must be caused by something that I did or didn't do.
I know what you mean - been there, done that in the past. A lot of it comes down to the SA, the service manager and the relationship you can build with them over time. I've been using the same dealer in SE MA for 10 years and have had lots of opportunity to work with those guys. In the beginning though, it was tougher until they came to realize I had some useful understanding of how the cars worked. I've actually had the opportunity to keep them updated on some of the things I've learned right here on AW and with a contact I've had at AOA who is very knowledgeable about all things that are going on with the cars. They actually appreciate the info.

One thing to keep in mind is the service folks get hundreds of people in for service each month with all kinds of complaints, not all of which are valid, can be replicated or are caused by operator misunderstanding. The key is to have your ducks in a row and be able to properly explain and demonstrate the issue whenever possible and to be patient and respectfully persistent. If all else fails, trying another dealer service dept. might be the only solution.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I was awoken this AM by the sound of a municipal snowplow ripping up a four-foot long piece of city street outside my apartment building. Yesterday I drove into Manhattan and the Major Deegan Expressway was a veritable mine field of ripped up pavement. At one point the traffic was backed up as even hurried New Yorkers were slowed to a crawl traversing a section where all three lanes were just totally ripped apart for a distance of about 100 yards. Jeez!
Why don’t they use rubber/urethane tipped/edged plow blades? Does the road repair industry have that tight a grip on governmental leaders? Well, I am sure we all know the answer (add to them the tire and alignment retailers).
Old 02-05-2014, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I was awoken this AM by the sound of a municipal snowplow ripping up a four-foot long piece of city street outside my apartment building. Yesterday I drove into Manhattan and the Major Deegan Expressway was a veritable mine field of ripped up pavement. At one point the traffic was backed up as even hurried New Yorkers were slowed to a crawl traversing a section where all three lanes were just totally ripped apart for a distance of about 100 yards. Jeez!
Why don’t they use rubber/urethane tipped/edged plow blades? Does the road repair industry have that tight a grip on governmental leaders? Well, I am sure we all know the answer (add to them the tire and alignment retailers).
makes sense, no destroyed road, no job created.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Wow, that sounds like a nightmare. I complain when I see a couple inch divit in the road.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Actually the door sticker is for max load (driver, three passengers and luggage). The manual's PSI for normal load is for driver, and passenger. If you use the max load PSI, there will actually be less flex in the sidewalls to absorb potholes increasing the chance for damage. I usually go a lb or two above normal load as a compromise between ride and handling and reserve full load PSI for when going on a trip with a full trunk of luggage.
My theory to have higher pressure is that at least you dont get to the wheels when you hit a hole.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fEArmE
My theory to have higher pressure is that at least you dont get to the wheels when you hit a hole.
I would think that would pass more pressure to the wheel as there would be less flex in the tire, and you are probably more likely to actually split the tire and have an immediate flat vs. a bubble you can at least drive home on.

Quick Reply: pothole damage