Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Possibly legal question

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

This is why the manufacturers are looking at other markets such as the EU. The USA is too risky for them and other jurisdictions are more conducive to change.
Between the NHTSA, SAE and lawyers there is no chance in this country. When do you think that we will have matrix leds in our Audi's? Not before 2020 is my guess. Heck, we don't even have an Amber turn signal mandate yet but the ROW knows its advantages.
If ACC and Lane keeping assist is indicative of the technology then I will have to swim to work through the blood.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Wow – quite a few very insightful comments in reply to my post, thanks. I personally feel the NHTSA, other government groups and lawyers are not the sole culprits. The seeming nature of the typical modern American contributes a lot. I have a friend from Germany who says that back home, if some 20-yr old is on the Autobahn in his Golf and a brand new R8 looms behind him, he will move over out of respect and a sense that the R8 driver deserves the fast lane. Here in the US I see kids tailgating and flashing their headlights at Police cruisers basically telling them to “move the F- - - over.” And, they get away with it. The current crop of Americans is largely all about themselves and not at all concerned about respecting others. In fact, many of them are so jealous of someone driving a fine car like our Audi’s, they will key it just to get even. Kind of sickening.
“Swim to work through the blood” – now there’s an image!
Old 06-20-2014, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes I agree that the "modern American" is partly to blame but it is human nature to be lazy and the enforcement community has allowed them to be so. Also in the USA, there is an attitude that driving is a necessary nuisance and is frequently done as a secondary endeavor. You can even buy a printer for your car yet alone a cell phone. Car and Driver has a report on cell phone use where it is discussed the cell phone may not be used to hold and talk into but you may use it to look at a map!
Have you noticed that every news broadcast of a traffic incident is because of speed and, even yesterday, it was reported that a truck was going 65MPH! The USA has the biggest roads and the slowest speeds of any westernized nation and the only way to fix it is by using autonomous cars because the humans legislating, enforcing and driving, on average, are incompetent.
I consider driving like golf, you strive to perfect it but you never achieve it. I am always trying to brake at the correct time, take the correct line in a curve, consider other people, consider the environment etc.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DB22
I consider driving like golf, you strive to perfect it but you never achieve it. I am always trying to brake at the correct time, take the correct line in a curve, consider other people, consider the environment etc.
For me, having a car as expensive as an A6 makes me a much more careful driver. That doesn't mean I don't push the speed limit, but I drive defensively around others because I don't want their crapbag of a car sideswiping me because they don't care.

Maybe the answer is expensive cars for everyone...
Old 06-20-2014, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
because I don't want their crapbag of a car sideswiping me because they don't care.

At least "Lane Assist" reminds people that you are a dumbsh** and you forgot to indicate.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
Or maybe crapbag cars for everyone. They say "Sh*t seeks it own level" - lol