Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Paint issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The plot thickens

So we took it to The Audi body shop here today for pics etc. should be easy, right?
My calls to tell me that the inspection showed paint peeling along the roof and signs of re spray on the passenger side quarter panels..they ask if we bought the car used..told no it was bought new on special order. We're told to all the purchase dealership to see if it was damaged in transit and repaired.

Blood pressure is rising..

She calls the dealer furious asking if they had any knowledge of this, and why it was not revealed. After multiple phone calls there is no record of any damage pre sale and they will try to get in touch with Audi

I went to the collision center where he showed the areas of concern. The clear coat is pealing from the a pillar along the roof to the rear quarter. He showed me the other areas bur I couldn't appreciate the difference. Apparently the head painter looked at it too and agreed it looked like a shoddy re paint to the entire right side.

Now both the original dealer and this one are contacting the local Audi rep to help resolve this. I'm floored, angry and disappointed that this is happening on a new car.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

That is always my fear. These cars get damaged in transit and not disclosed to the customer and I believe each state has different thresholds of what they are required to disclose.of per-sale damages. Personally they should be forced to,disclose anything over a 1-2 inch surface scratch. I was lucky I went to pick up a car in 2009 and they were honest and told me they scratched the car pulling it out of the showroom. They asked for 2 days to fix it and I let them, but in the end because I could see the touch up I passed on the car. In the end they impressed me with their honesty and graciousness even though they lost the sale.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not only at the dealer.

Cars get damaged at the port and off the boat in Germany. The port has a paint and body shop, and they can do minor work without the dealer ever knowing.

So it can be tough to track down who did what a year and a half later.

If your car was already repaired and painted once without you knowing, it's even more irritating to have to get it done twice to get it right.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

True, it's almost like you need to get a new car inspected just like you are buying a used car.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

That really sucks. This is one of the reasons I only buy in stock cars and inspect them very closely before finalizing the purchase. I am willing to forego options I might really want or take ones I don't want just to be able to inspect it and be sure (well, pretty sure) the car is in decent shape.
I saw a new Audi on a transporter one time in one of those white enclosed covers that seem so protective, except that one of the flaps (door openings?) was loose and was flapping wildly in the breeze at 70 mph. I immediately thought that the poor bastard buying it may be getting damaged goods in terms of the paint being all scratched and then either rubbed out and waxed or quickly repainted.
Again, psychodo - my empathy - it really sucks.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks, it blows for sure.

They've contacted the audi rep via email, which they cc me on. So I guess I just sit and wait. Everyone is claiming" it wasn't me" so Audi USA needs to step up and do the right thing.

Ill keep you guys updated.

J.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

About all anyone can do is to offer to fix the car and repaint it properly.

But in the end, you still have a car that's been re-painted. It would bother me as well as anybody that takes care and has pride in their car.

Back in the mid 1990s, I bought a brand new VW jetta, and the factory paint was horrible with swirls, and they had to repaint the entire car. It was never the same and my paint was not as good. I eventually hit a curb and totaled it...so in the end it went away.

But that was a 16k jetta with roll up windows. Not a 65k car.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jperryrocks

But in the end, you still have a car that's been re-painted. It would bother me as well as anybody that takes care and has pride in their car.
yep - I agree. I feel for you, that really sucks. But they won't be able to do any more than repaint it - and in the end you still have a repainted car you paid quite good money for
Old 07-11-2013, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jperryrocks

Back in the mid 1990s, I bought a brand new VW jetta, and the factory paint was horrible with swirls, and they had to repaint the entire car. It was never the same and my paint was not as good. I eventually hit a curb and totaled it...so in the end it went away.

But that was a 16k jetta with roll up windows. Not a 65k car.
Originally Posted by Maverick61
yep - I agree. I feel for you, that really sucks. But they won't be able to do any more than repaint it - and in the end you still have a repainted car you paid quite good money for
Thanks, that pretty much sums up how I feel. Still waiting to hear back from Audi. Ill get it taken care of, see how it looks and go from there. I'll be honest, my first impulse was to get it done and get rid of it but that was frustration talking. Just need patience (of which I have none, LOL).
Old 07-11-2013, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would push Audi for some sort of concession, after all the repaint will likely impact resale value.

Quick Reply: Paint issue