Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

OEM Replacement Tires - Feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Replacement Tires - Feedback?

I'm gearing up for the big delivery date next month (my C7 A6 has been on order since March and I'm going crazy...). I have selected some aftermarket 19" rims for summer tires, but am stuggling with selecting tires. Note: I've decided to put winter tires on the stock rims since I live in Idaho.

What is everyone using for summer driving??

I'm strongly considering the Continental ExtremeContact DW in a 255/40ZR19 size.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by arrived1
I'm gearing up for the big delivery date next month (my C7 A6 has been on order since March and I'm going crazy...). I have selected some aftermarket 19" rims for summer tires, but am stuggling with selecting tires. Note: I've decided to put winter tires on the stock rims since I live in Idaho.

I'm strongly considering the Continental ExtremeContact DW in a 255/40ZR19 size.

Thanks for any feedback.
They're not -exactly- the same tire, but I've got Continental ExtremeContact DWS, which is the all season version on my current Cadillac CTS and I love them. Fantastic grip and amazing tread life. Really couldn't ask for a better performance all season tire - so the summer DW should be even better!
Old 05-10-2012, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nyuni
They're not -exactly- the same tire, but I've got Continental ExtremeContact DWS, which is the all season version on my current Cadillac CTS and I love them. Fantastic grip and amazing tread life. Really couldn't ask for a better performance all season tire - so the summer DW should be even better!
My wife had the DWS version also on her car. They were a fantastic tire and I will prob end up replacing the A6 stock tires with those once they wear out.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Taktix1
My wife had the DWS version also on her car. They were a fantastic tire and I will prob end up replacing the A6 stock tires with those once they wear out.
Yeah - just want to add that when I get my A6 and it's time to replace the summer tires (or winter comes to Maryland, whichever comes first), I'll definitely be going with the DWS again. Those things plus AWD on the Caddy just tore through snow - it'll be even better with Quattro!
Old 05-10-2012, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by arrived1

Thanks for any feedback.
I just happen to have the perfect tire for you - that is when mine arrives the first week of June and I swap the OEM 19" summer for all seasons!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I love the Continental DWS and have them on my current daily driver. Quiet. Good in the rain and snow. Good tread wear. Reasonably priced. Not a bad thing to say about them.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 20-inch sport rims.

How does the "Continental ExtremeContact DWS" perform in the snow?

Also, I still have the stock "Pirelli P Zero" 255/35ZR20 on my A6, have a little over 8000 miles on them and they still look good. Anyone have an idea how long they last (approximately of course)?
Old 05-10-2012, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by manishaudi
I have the 20-inch sport rims.

How does the "Continental ExtremeContact DWS" perform in the snow?

Also, I still have the stock "Pirelli P Zero" 255/35ZR20 on my A6, have a little over 8000 miles on them and they still look good. Anyone have an idea how long they last (approximately of course)?
The DWS are fantastic in the snow. Predictable in their handling and great with their grip and directional control. This is in Mid-Atlantic kind of snow, so they probably aren't all that great for major amounts of snowfall, but I've had them in snow up to close to 10" and have always felt confident with them. Combined with the AWD system in my CTS it seemed like there was never any traction issue or unplowed hill too steep.

I too would be interested in hearing how the stock 20" Pirellis last, but as with all summer performance tires I'd be shocked to hear over 15k...
Old 05-10-2012, 09:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am impressed with the Pirelli Pzeros that came with the 19 sport package on the car. Great grip, good in rain, very quiet.
When winter comes, will change to pirelli winter tires, think they are the sottozeros. Not a fan of all season tires, and since I need to switch to something, might as well go for the full bore winter set up. With those, the A6 should be unstoppable all winter long.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

PZeros are awesome, but they go really quick (in my case, about 14K miles) and get noisy after about 5K or use. Avoid Bridgestone RE050; very noisy, also short life, although grip is also excellent. These lasted me 12K. Granted, I'm not exactly the most sedate driver out there....

My favorite summer tire at this point is the Dunlop Sport Maxx. Jury is still out on longevity, but it performs excellent and, at least based on reviews, tends to outlive PZeros and the REs. It's also pretty quiet for a summer tire.

Quick Reply: OEM Replacement Tires - Feedback?