Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

No World Cup in A6!

Old 06-18-2014, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default No World Cup in A6!

I was watching the World cup on my IPad at work and had to leave so I allowed it to WiFi connect in the A6 and played the app. The IPad stated that the data rates were too low and that it would continue with sound only so I connected the IPad via the MMI cable and then it stated that the file type was not compatible for playback.
BTW - VIM enabled.

I am ready to get flamed now for even thinking that watching TV while driving is a good idea but I will only accept criticism from people who never touch their phones in the car.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
I connected the IPad via the MMI cable and then it stated that the file type was not compatible for playback.
BTW - VIM enabled.
30-pin or lightning connection? Which AMI cable? iPad jailbroken or not?

If JB, try DisplayOut - I've heard really good things about it, should allow ANY display on external.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

AMI to 30 pin, 30 pin to lightning adapter. Ipad = wifi only.
I did not expect it to work as Lightning is digital and Audi requires analog. Is there a D/A in the Audi available AMI Lightning interface cable?
Old 06-18-2014, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

The MMI does not support online video streaming (or mirroring) from a portable device, only the listed video files (see https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2840907). In car wifi video streaming to a portable device will work but it can be miserably slow, limiting bandwidth. There are ways to mirror some apps from a supported iDevice to the MMI screen via the AMI but require a string of additional hardware, adapters and cables.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

AMI to 30 pin, 30 pin to lightning adapter. Ipad = wifi only.
I did not expect it to work as Lightning is digital and Audi requires analog. Is there a D/A in the Audi available AMI Lightning interface cable?
Red or blue AMI 30-pin cable? And yes, there's supposedly a converter in the -AD AMI cable (which I happen to have in my hot little hands - not that it does me any good without the CAR).

Snagitseven is of course right, (it's still a bit early in the morning for me). I wasn't thinking that you're trying to do exactly what I am, which is display arbitrary iOS content on MMI - and that's not officially supported as far as anyone can tell. MMI *can* display arbitrary video via the composite cable, so I still hope to be able to trick it somehow into doing that over iDevice AMI cable(s) but that's a long shot.

I connected the IPad via the MMI cable and then it stated that the file type was not compatible for playback.
Did MMI complain or the iPad? I was (foolishly) thinking the iPad, but I expect you meant MMI.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My AMI cable is the one supplied with the car - I think that it's the red one to 30 pin. I have an adapter from 30 to Lightning.

IMHO Composite video should be illegal, hell even standard def should be illegal. I am at work now working on 4K UHD. 3840 X 2160 pixels per frame.

Yes it was the MMI that complained of the file type.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am ready to get flamed now for even thinking that watching TV while driving is a good idea but I will only accept criticism from people who never touch their phones in the car.
Okay. Yeah, that would be a really stupid thing to do.

Thinking about it is okay though.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

My AMI cable is the one supplied with the car - I think that it's the red one to 30 pin. I have an adapter from 30 to Lightning.

IMHO Composite video should be illegal, hell even standard def should be illegal. I am at work now working on 4K UHD. 3840 X 2160 pixels per frame.

Yes it was the MMI that complained of the file type.
Well you're limited by what MMI takes in, and I suspect that's composite over the 30-pin red cable (I thought blue audio-only was supplied with the car). it looks like one MIGHT be able to hack the AMI cable to make MMI think a composite video cable is connected and then use normal video mirroring from the iPad, but that's not an easy test to run...

There's no video at all over the 30-pin to Lightning adapter AFAIK.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
it looks like one MIGHT be able to hack the AMI cable to make MMI think a composite video cable is connected and then use normal video mirroring from the iPad, but that's not an easy test to run...
Ooooh, so there may be hope yet if your MMI hidden menu is enabled:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...adapter-solved!!!

the poster says:
In the hidden menu, go to diagnose>settings>AMI/AUX Enable all of them as shown below. (*** To regain use of the iPod feature via the MMI, you must switch back to the original settings.***)
Name:  E770894D-94B9-4B0A-9195-AEB2CC4A0077-6769-000003A802DA0490_zpsfdbcfd79.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  305.1 KB

Now if this works for the Red cable with 30-pin devices..... but you can at least try it with your iPad and see if you can get audio. Fingers crossed!
Old 06-18-2014, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

One of the problems is the 30 pin to Lightning adapter doesn't pass any video, just album art. The hoped for AMI/lightning might but is still not available in NA. Still, the cable itself will not mirror an iDevice, just pass supported video files. As I understand it, the new cable simply has a digital to analog video converter built in to allow an analog video signal to pass to the MMI.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No World Cup in A6!