Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

No color choices

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No color choices

So basically the A6 is offered in four colors:

1. Black
  • Brilliant Black
  • Phantom Black Pearl Effect
  • Havanna Black Metallic
  • Moonlight Blue Metallic
2. Grey/Silver
  • Ice Silver Metallic
  • Quartz Gray Metallic
  • Dakota Gray Metallic
  • Oolong Gray Metallic
  • Aviator Blue Metallic
3. White
  • Ibis White
  • Glacier White Metallic
4. Red
  • Garnet Red Pearl Effect
I went to the dealer today (sunny day in Austin, TX) and checked to see what color I like best. I'd like a blue car, but the Moonlight Blue Metallic is absolutely indistinguishable from black (they had a Moonlight and Black A4 next to each other, I have a photograph and dare anyone to tell me which is which). The other blacks are also "just" black, and you have to take a very close look to actually see a difference. I also don't want a black car, since they get considerably hotter inside in our 100+F days when parked in the sun. I tested that myself with identical VW Passats, a white one and an anthracite one. Left temperature data loggers inside and the dark one (both with beige interiors) was measurably hotter inside after the same amount of time in the sun.

I also saw an Ibis White and a Glacier White Metallic Q5 next to each other. I have a photo, you tell me which is which ...

I don't want a silver car (had two), and they grey's I saw were just that - shades of grey. I don't know that I saw one in each available grey color, but none of these seemed very exciting to me.

That leaves the red, which is just not my color for an A6.

They didn't have any Aviator Blue Metallic cars, so that might be an option, but the color sample they had looks kind of more grey than blue to me.

I'd like a blue that actually looks blue when you see the car. I really liked the Stratos blue on my '05 A6 (see avatar picture), not sure what it would look like on the new car, plus it's not offered, even if you look at the German Website and check out what they call "individual paint color options" (and charge almost $4,000 extra for). Or even a darker blue that doesn't look like black or grey.

Anyway, I guess what I am wondering is if anyone has any pictures of non-standard colored C7 A6's - I'd love to see something different from the "safe" choices that Audi offers ...
Old 01-22-2012, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are willing to do European Delivery you may be able to choose a custom color. You will need to call the Audi of America headquarters though, because technically you are ordering through them from Audi of Germany.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

You can also do an Audi Exclusive paint selection here in the states for $2500 (note: this isn't really as much since any color besides Brilliant Black and Ibis White have a metallic paint charge of I believe $475). That gives you the option of any Audi color in the range. Also there are some colors that are $6000 like Ipanema Brown on many Audi show cars. I know that you can also choose colors from previous models/years like your Stratos Blue, but not sure the cost. You do not need to do Euro Delivery to do Audi Exclusive paint, you just need a little more time for waiting for the car. And a side note, if you are trading in your old Audi, you get owner loyalty of, I believe, $2500 which sort of cancels out the Audi Exclusive cost.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

I also wanted a blue car and thought the midnight was just a little too dark. I went for the aviator and I'm really happy with my choice. It is a complex paint that takes on a lot of different hues depending on light conditions. It varies from a dark blue at night, a clear blue in sunlight, to more grey and even greenish hues sometimes.

Color perception is a very individual thing, different people see colors very differently. Hope you find one you like!
Old 01-22-2012, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

I hear you on the lack of color variety. I wanted an Aviator Blue but they are currently hard to come by and "settled" for Quartz Grey, which I pick up tomorrow. Since this is a replacement vehicle from Audi, I didn't have the luxury of special order.

I'd search all of the forums for the current Audi lineup. I know, for instance, Sepang Blue is fairly popular special order color for the S4 and would be a fantastic "true" blue for the A6.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by veedubmac
You can also do an Audi Exclusive paint selection here in the states for $2500 (note: this isn't really as much since any color besides Brilliant Black and Ibis White have a metallic paint charge of I believe $475). That gives you the option of any Audi color in the range. Also there are some colors that are $6000 like Ipanema Brown on many Audi show cars. I know that you can also choose colors from previous models/years like your Stratos Blue, but not sure the cost. You do not need to do Euro Delivery to do Audi Exclusive paint, you just need a little more time for waiting for the car. And a side note, if you are trading in your old Audi, you get owner loyalty of, I believe, $2500 which sort of cancels out the Audi Exclusive cost.
I knew it was something like that. Thanks for the correction.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I was going to order Sepang blue pearl

Then I thought Scuba blue would be more fitting

Old 01-23-2012, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daytona Grey is a unique color for Audi A6, not sure if it is special order in States, but in Canada (where I'm located) I have to order premium + S line to get this color. From photos looks very nice, so I ordered A6 Oolong grey and still waiting.
Perhaps next Audi will get Daytona.
Thx.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tenspeed
I was going to order Sepang blue pearl

[

Then I thought Scuba blue would be more fitting

]
Both colors are great, but I think the scuba would be more fitting to the 6.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a Moonlight Blue A6, and while it is definitely a dark navy blue, the car is most defintely blue to my eye, not black. I will grant that the ambient lighting can make the car more blue, or more black.

I will also say it is frustrating to me that the dealers tend to order only white or black cars. It seems it is harder to find a silver car even than it use to be.

Quick Reply: No color choices