Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

no 8th gear in dymanic mode c7 a6?

Old 02-06-2014, 08:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Just checked my service order and here are the actual numbers of the transmission update I had performed in Dec 2013. Since the A7 uses the same 8 speed zf transmission and 3.0T as the A6, it would seem unusual that it would be different. Also, keep in mind, this update was introduced in late Spring of 2013 so one could guess that cars built after that point would already have the newer adaptation from the factory, hence the VIN determination.
Perfect Thanks so the number you provided before was incorrect? Now this TSB is not an upgrade they perform like the steering update, if it is not broken (meaning if the owner hasn't complained) they don't even bring it up? Because I took my car after spring 2013 for service and they never mentioned anything about a transmission update (even though I complained about that weird 2-1 jerkiness on the past) but they wanted to do the steering update (which I rejected) Thanks

Last edited by feralc; 02-06-2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by feralc
Perfect Thanks so the number you provided before was incorrect? Now this TSB is not an upgrade they perform like the steering update, if it is not broken (meaning if the owner hasn't complained) they don't even bring it up? Because I took my car after spring 2013 for service and they never mentioned anything about a transmission update (even though I complained about that weird 2-1 jerkiness on the past) but they wanted to do the steering update (which I rejected) Thanks
Yeah, the first number I posted I got from someone else. I checked my service invoice to be sure and as you see, this is what they actually noted. I'm sure this TSB is not automatic. I had to request this one to solve the jerkiness/hesitation shifting. My service guys and I have a great relationship so they are pretty accommodating. In fact, I passed on it the first time back in July after we discussed it but decided to go ahead in Dec and have it done after all with my 15K.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:14 PM
Banned

With cruise control even at 65mph it shifts to 8th gear in dynamic
I don't have the TSB update though
I could not make it change to 8th without the cruise control even just deactivate it while in 8th (and no gas ) changes to 7th
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2014, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

With cruise control even at 65mph it shifts to 8th gear in dynamic
I don't have the TSB update though
I could not make it change to 8th without the cruise control even just deactivate it while in 8th (and no gas ) changes to 7th
This seems to make sense. If you are using cruise control you are obviously not engaging in sporty or spirited driving and it would make sense for the elctronics to recognize this and let the transmission go to 8th gear to save fuel. At least that is how it strikes me.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by irenesbob
This seems to make sense. If you are using cruise control you are obviously not engaging in sporty or spirited driving and it would make sense for the elctronics to recognize this and let the transmission go to 8th gear to save fuel. At least that is how it strikes me.
So we can assume that the cruise control deactivates sport mode
as long as you step in the gas (of the brake) it goes back to dynamic
What I don't remember is what happens if you are (let's say) cruising at 70mph and suddenly you step in the gas, when you left off the gas the car goes back to the speed set previously? Or you need to set it up again?
Old 02-08-2014, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So we can assume that the cruise control deactivates sport mode
as long as you step in the gas (of the brake) it goes back to dynamic
What I don't remember is what happens if you are (let's say) cruising at 70mph and suddenly you step in the gas, when you left off the gas the car goes back to the speed set previously? Or you need to set it up again?
This is how it works in the S6. In dynamic mode, it is really hard to get the cylinder deactivation to kick in. But when in cruise control it kicks in immediately. Put the pedal to the floor and it remembers you are in dynamic mode. However since you haven't reset the speed, it'll slow down until you reach that speed.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

It goes back to your cruise control setting after you manually override the throttle.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by snagitseven
It goes back to your cruise control setting after you manually override the throttle.
So the brake deactivates it completely but the throttle increases the speed and when you let go the gas it goes coasting to the preset speed.

A good experiment will be to be in sport, cruise control on 8th gear, step on the throttle slightly (it will downshift to 7th for sure maybe to 6th in cars with the TSB update) and then let go until it slow down to the preset speed, when would the transmission go into 8th?, when you let go the throttle or when it reaches the preset speed?
Old 02-10-2014, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can get your hands on a VagCom (VCDS) then you can set it so it always shows what gear your are in:

02-Auto Trans | 10-Adaptations | Single gear display: Choose "D=On/S=On"

Originally Posted by q5q7
Thanks snagitseven for the tsb number.

can more people chime in to confirm there is or there is no 8th gear in dynamic mode?

it is pretty easy to test.

80mph at 8th gear should have an rpm of less than 2k

80mph at 7th gear should have an rpm around 2.2k