Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Newly installed springs and annoying sound!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 02:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newly installed springs and annoying sound!

So background is I purchased this 2013 Audi A6 with less than 30k miles. I decided to install eibach pro kit springs and wheel spacers to give it a little more aggressive stance.

Well about 2 days after they were all installed I started hearing a creaking sound when I would go over small bumps in the road. I took it back to the shop and they looked around and couldn't find anything and told me to give it a few days and see if letting the springs settle would change anything.

So I did and things still have not changed. I have taken it 3 different times in the last week to them and they can't find anything that would cause it. I took a video of the sound it makes from the outside which sounds like keys jingling. I am including a link to the video I took and as I pass the car in the road you can hear the jingle sound twice as I go over the bumps.

Can anyone please help me get to the bottom of this before I run this thing off a bridge.

https://*******/oLr6
Old 05-13-2015, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Obviously, you should contact the manufacturer of the springs and see what they say.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are these springs progressive type springs?
Does the noise sound like it is coming from the springs?

I ask these question because I have also experienced a creaking noise when going over small bumps. In my case the noise was from the right rear spring area. Apparently coil spring binding is fairly common with after market progressive type springs. I managed to pretty much eliminate my noise by using this product TEIN.com: Silencer Rubber - PRODUCTS

Last edited by jr'sAudiA6; 05-14-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I actually had to look up the difference between progressive and linear springs and looks like mine are progressive. Thank you so much for this information! I have a question on installation of these silencers. Do the springs have to be removed or do they simply just slip over them?
Old 05-19-2015, 11:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Actually I see they slip over them, but question I have is which size do I need as I see they come in 3 sizes.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Could that creaking sound be coming from the bushings?
Old 05-19-2015, 01:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I really am hoping that it's not the bushings. I just ordered some of the medium size silencers and will have my local shop install them on the drivers side front and rear springs. I would rather spend $13 on these then to replace the bushings. The shop swears to me that they have checked all control arms and bushings and they don't see anything wrong, so I really hope these silencers are the answer!
Old 05-19-2015, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshcaro
I really am hoping that it's not the bushings. I just ordered some of the medium size silencers and will have my local shop install them on the drivers side front and rear springs. I would rather spend $13 on these then to replace the bushings.
Not implying that the bushings need replacement. The new springs lowered the car which changes the angles of the suspension links. Perhap a little lube on them would eliminate the creaking.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Gotcha! I will have the mechanic do that as well while he is in there. Thanks so much for the input.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well... That didn't fix it! Any other suggestions? It's the same clanging sound as before and still has that creaking sound from inside.

Quick Reply: Newly installed springs and annoying sound!