Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Newbie with A6 questions - LED vs Zenon Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with A6 questions - LED vs Zenon Headlights

Hi all, I'm new to Audi but getting very close to buying an A6. This will be my first "fun" car in quite a while (been doin the SUV family car thing for a while now). I've test driven the BMW 535i, Infinity M37, Lexus GS..., and others, and the Audi A6 just feels right. But the options are overwhelming - wheel size, sport tuned suspension, etc. For this thread let me ask just one question - if you have an A6 with the LED Headlights, are you satisfied with the brightness and range of coverage compared to the zenon lights? I read an article on Consumer Reports.org that said they weren't impressed with the LED headlights. I'd appreciate any feedback from users.

thanks,
bob - soon to be an A6 owner!
Old 09-12-2012, 03:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The LED headlights are really nice, I find them more that suitable for night driving. It's one of the reasons I chose the A6.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

The only article reference that I saw online from Consumer Reports re the LED headlights was that they were "cool". Maybe you have to have a subscription to see other CR A6 articles (which I would never do as I'm not a fan of the magazine). I did watch their You Tube video they posted but while the reviewer made no mention of the LED headlights, he did provide some inaccuracies, i.e. dynamic setting affects suspension and nitpicks, i.e. Google Earth is bad as it draws your attention away from driving (huh?) and the MMI system was too confusing for him. (Perhaps he would have been happy with a bicycle - no confusing controls or Nav to distract him). At least the review was positive overall though.

In any case, I have the LED headlights and love 'em. They do more to light the road ahead and to the sides than any other car I've owned, including my Audi A4 HID. When the brights are on, you feel like you're in an airliner coming in for a landing with the coverage bathed in white light well ahead of the car. I was concerned that with the DRLs and the headlights both on, other drivers might be dazzled and flash their headlights. Not so for me - doesn't seem to bother oncoming cars (unless the brights are on of course). All in all, one of the top features of he A6.

Last edited by snagitseven; 09-12-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember correctly they were reviewing the A8 when discussing the LED's stating they "weren't very bright". I don't think they shine as far as the xenon's but are more than adequate at night. I love them and would get them again in a heartbeat.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by psychodo
If I remember correctly they were reviewing the A8 when discussing the LED's stating they "weren't very bright". I don't think they shine as far as the xenon's but are more than adequate at night. I love them and would get them again in a heartbeat.
I can't speak to the A6 HID or A8 LEDs, but the A6 LEDs blow away my '09 A4 Xenons in every way including color, angle coverage and distance, most especially with the high beams.

Last edited by snagitseven; 09-12-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default LEDs in the A6 are unique and worth the price IMHO

I almost look forward to the early sunset come this time of year to get the oppurtunity to drive with my LEDs on. They really bathe the road up front and to the side as well(when side light is activated) in a brilliant pure white light improving visability considerably.
When you put the LED brights on, they really cause the overhead road signs to reflect brightly almost as though they are lighted signs from within.
Interestingly, the low-beam LEDs do not seem to effect the oncoming traffic in that I never get flashed at by that traffic. Obviously they are very well aimed and the light does not spill-over to the eye level of oncoming traffic.
Great option and worth the price.
They are still quite unique to Audi, but the day is coming when most cars will have this option as well as Audi. Some are already offering them.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all the replies. It really helps to get feedback from drivers.

FYI - the consumer reports comments come from an online article on their website from Aug 2012, and here is part of it:

<<start quote>> We've only tested one model equipped with LED headlights up to this point, the Audi A8 luxury sedan. They're a pricey option, adding $1,400 to the price of our test car. While the Audi's LED lights glowed with a bright intensity similar to that of HID lamps, their overall performance was unimpressive in our testing. We found a sharp cutoff at the top of their beam, and a shorter reach on both high and low beams than a good set of conventional halogen or HID bulbs. <<end quote>>

I'm glad to hear that A6 drivers have not had this experience.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bobinwa

FYI - the consumer reports comments come from an online article on their website from Aug 2012, and here is part of it:

<<start quote>> We've only tested one model equipped with LED headlights up to this point, the Audi A8 luxury sedan. They're a pricey option, adding $1,400 to the price of our test car. While the Audi's LED lights glowed with a bright intensity similar to that of HID lamps, their overall performance was unimpressive in our testing. We found a sharp cutoff at the top of their beam, and a shorter reach on both high and low beams than a good set of conventional halogen or HID bulbs. <<end quote>>

I have a feeling that if they did a true scientific test the LED's would blow away a convential halogen. Why would you make the LED if a cheaper to produce halogen does a better job? Who cares about a sharp cutoff at the top of the beam as long as you can see what you need to?

I thought the LED's were great and at the minimum are on par with HID (I think better). IMO the high beam light is better than HID. I ordered them on my S6 (soon to be delivered hopefully) because I can't see getting the car without them (just IMO, of course others may disagree).
Old 09-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I love love love the LED headlights on my car. I drive with a sense of pride with them on for some reason. LOL!
Old 09-12-2012, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobinwa

Wow, some journalists have no common sense. Of course there is a cut off line, they are LED's and don't scatter like other lights. If the beams went any higher they would blind on-coming traffic.

Just as auditron said, I love how they reflect off the road signs. I absolutely love my LED headlights. No issues on my end, I'd be kicking myself if I never got them. Now, just need to figure out on how to get them on my Lexus. Happy car hunting.

Quick Reply: Newbie with A6 questions - LED vs Zenon Headlights