Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

New tire recommendations for '13 A6 3.0T Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 890 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by josh Prieur
having had 2 sets between our 2 Audis of Both Continental DW and Michelin PSS here are my thoughts:

Micheline Pilot Super Sport - hands down the best performing street tire you can get. Excellent ride, relatively quiet, amazing grip. Expensive at around $300 a tire in the 20" size.

Continental Extreme Contact DW - slightly better ride, quieter than PSS (not by a lot - but enough), softer sidewall so steering response is slightly less than PSS, great grip. Literally about 90% of the capability of the PSS and they only run around $185 a tire in the 20" size.
I have also ran both the Continental DW and Michelin PSS and agree with Josh's evaluation of both tires. In my case, I concluded that the Michelins were worth the extra money. However, it is certainly a close call when evaluating the "value" of both tires. Not really a bad choice when it comes to these two tires.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by keithl
+1 they are awesome tires, great handling and ride.
+1 Agree, replaced my 18" Conti Pro Contacts with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's and they performed fine in the snow last week in MI; no different that the Conti's.

I will have to decide what to put on my summer 19" wheels when the Eagles wear out.

I would not drive 19 or 20" tires in snow of any kind. That's what 17 and 18" size is for.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ironically was in for my 15K service today and when I pick it up they tell me I will need tires soon, I say what? They say 2 tires 4/32 and two at 5/32. My A/S 3 tires have 14,100 miles over easy delivering constant inflation monitoring and rotation ever 5-6K miles. I amd hugely disappointed in the early wear considering these have a 45K warranty. I usually replace tires when they get to 4/32. I plan on calling Michelin since the warranty will not kick in until the tread wear indicators show and that is past were I feel comfortable. I had General GMAX AS3 on my Infiniti and they had over 25K miles when they hit 5/32. My Infiniti came with Potenza summer tires that I got 17K miles out of before they got to 4/32. Something does not sound right. Anyone else have the Michelins that have gone say 25-30K miles?
Old 01-31-2015, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 890 Likes on 729 Posts

I ironically was in for my 15K service today and when I pick it up they tell me I will need tires soon, I say what? They say 2 tires 4/32 and two at 5/32. My A/S 3 tires have 14,100 miles over easy delivering constant inflation monitoring and rotation ever 5-6K miles. I amd hugely disappointed in the early wear considering these have a 45K warranty. I usually replace tires when they get to 4/32. I plan on calling Michelin since the warranty will not kick in until the tread wear indicators show and that is past were I feel comfortable. I had General GMAX AS3 on my Infiniti and they had over 25K miles when they hit 5/32. My Infiniti came with Potenza summer tires that I got 17K miles out of before they got to 4/32. Something does not sound right. Anyone else have the Michelins that have gone say 25-30K miles?
You only got 14k out of all season tires? Something is wrong somewhere. I do better than that on high performance summer Michelin Super Sports.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

That sounds crazy - that much wear after 14k miles? What's your driving style like?

I wasn't too crazy about the OEM Continentals, and was surprised when those needed to be replaced at 35k miles. Just my opinion, but I think the Quattro system causes tires to wear a bit quicker, especially the rear tires. I had two Acura RLs with the SH-AWD system, and the tire wear on those was fine. I got 50k miles each out of two sets of Michelin PAX tires.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

I drive faily sane, not crazy Corning, I keep the tires at 40psi and rotate them every 6K. I drive fast, but not crazy. I am as baffled as everyone else, although there are a few reviews where people complained they went through them very fast. I am going to call Michelin tomorrow. I also have a good relationship with the Discount Tire that I ordered them through and going to ask them to involve their Michelin rep. As of now I am very disappointed in them and would likely try something else regardless of what Michelin does unless they give me a new set. Problem is that usually you have to get to the tread wear bars at 2/32 to claim on the warranty, and I never run tires below 4/32.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Spoke to Michelin today and they are willing to prorate the tires based on projected mileage to 2/32 and then prorate at what is left on 45K warranty. Looks like I will likely get them around 50% off. Still not sure I want to spend that as they were at a premium already, at 50% off that is only a little less than I can get some other tires. I feel rather burned by these tires and not sure I want to spend even 50% to get another 14K miles.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Spoke to Michelin today and they are willing to prorate the tires based on projected mileage to 2/32 and then prorate at what is left on 45K warranty. Looks like I will likely get them around 50% off. Still not sure I want to spend that as they were at a premium already, at 50% off that is only a little less than I can get some other tires. I feel rather burned by these tires and not sure I want to spend even 50% to get another 14K miles.
I can appreciate your disappointment. I did read about the fact that the rubber is a bit softer than other tires and seems to wear faster. But then, they do have the 45K warranty, they DO honor that warranty and at $860/set are not the most expensive tires out there. i think they have a real comfortable ride, (more comfortable than the Conti Contact Pro OEMs) and I know certainly when they aren't at 11/32" anymore, it will be a different story, but they it would be for any other tire.

Tires for half price doesn't sound like such a bad deal, does it?
Old 02-04-2015, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JRomulus
Tires for half price doesn't sound like such a bad deal, does it?
Assuming that the second set of tires perform the same as the first set, "keithl" will have paid 150% for 62% of the advertised tread life. That sounds like a bad deal to me.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My A6 with Sport Package came with Goodyear F1 Asymmetric and I replaced them at ~31,000 with a set of Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2's. They were hard to find and pricier than the 'regular' F1's but I really like them.
I've had Conti DSW's on an A4 and I actually sent them back because they were so squirrely. JMHO.

Quick Reply: New tire recommendations for '13 A6 3.0T Sport