Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

New TDI Emissions Action 23Z8

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had mine done earlier today. Took about 3 hours or so. There was a line item for "Update ECM Software" on the invoice along with new DPF and O2 sensor. No difference in the way it drives or MPG thus far (I've had little over 300 mile drive after service with roughly 38mpg at about 80mph most of the way)

Old 09-10-2019, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

The O2 sensor location change, do you have a before image?

Engine light just went on for the 5th time since fix. I will do this next month when service is due.

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 09-10-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
The O2 sensor location change, do you have a before image?

Engine light just went on for the 5th time since fix. I will do this next month when service is due.
I didn't take one of the DPF prior to the replacement, but I did find a pic of the turbo from a year ago or so, it shows portion of the DPF - the 02 appears to be in different spot - hope this helps!

Old 09-11-2019, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Michal Borcz
I didn't take one of the DPF prior to the replacement, but I did find a pic of the turbo from a year ago or so, it shows portion of the DPF - the 02 appears to be in different spot - hope this helps!
Yes, I see the difference. All those pieces after the turbo look new. Thank you for posting.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After weighing all the options..

I think for my taste, I'm just deleting the dpf and egr, just got my parts in from rawtek, darkside, and Malone to forget this problem from now on, and let my turbo breathe properly.

Since I bought this used as a post fix car and no real end in sight for an actual fix, I'm gonna just enjoy my ride.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Had mine done today

Scheduled mine a few weeks back after having the CEL two months in a row (P0133/P2459) - had it in for an O2 sensor replacement after the first one, didn't bother with the second...
Had it done today, drives the same afterwards, I'll report if anything seems different...

'16 A6 TDI
Old 09-12-2019, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hello all, Getting my round #2 "fix/recall" done as I write this. Had to wait (2) weeks for the parts to come in. I am not expecting any new performance issues since the original "fix" was done 20K ago, at least I hope not. Despite the "fix" I still am loving the car. In 20K miles I have gotten use to the slight decrease in performance and the subtle engine stutter I get sometimes. No major issues to report so far for those of you that haven't gotten the "fix" done yet. My fingers are always crossed. Cheers.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

My follow-up after the "fix" part two work done yesterday. No no more stuttering from stop and it actually seems slightly quicker on the low end. It's almost like I have my old car back. Time will tell I suppose if this fix will hold true.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Had the 2 'fixes' done today!

My 2016 A6 TDI Prem. Plus with 12K miles on the clock went in yesterday. I left it and was given a 2019 A7 as a loaner overnight.
Lots of nice electronics in the newer A7 but overall I was not impressed.
Both 23Z8 and 91U7 done this morning.
"Perform Software Update" was part of 23Z8 TDI Emissions System Modification..
Drove it nearly three hours getting home from the dealer, in stop & go for a while and then 75mph for the last hour.
The throttle hesitation appears to be gone. Everything else working normally as before.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took my 2014 A7 TDI in a few weeks ago for the 23Z8 fix and they got it done the same day. Car has about 67,000 miles on it. Prior to the software update back in 2017, the car ran great, very smooth and punchy. After the software fix, the engine performance was noticeably different. Had all the symptoms everyone was taking about, shifting irregularities, idle performance, fuel economy, etc. Thought about getting rid of it, but all the other features and benefits of the car for the family told me to keep it. I ended up getting a Tesla model 3 for my daily commuter and man what a car. Kept the A7 in the garage and only drove it on the weekends. After the 23Z8 fix, the car appears to be running like it did when I first got it. It feels and runs different, I smile again when I drive it. I find myself driving it more often, I want to get in the car again and go somewhere. Anyway, I'll keep driving and see if the performance changes as we go into the winter. Lower temperatures will be a good test to see if this fix holds up. I can't help but wonder if at some point down the road this car may be bought back with everything that's happened over the last few years.

Quick Reply: New TDI Emissions Action 23Z8