Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

New TDI Emissions Action 23Z8

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New TDI Emissions Action 23Z8

Just got this in the mail (text below) for my 2016 A6. The language is interesting "if you elect to receive these updates..." if this has to do with emissions, how could it be voluntary? Also, seems like a large amount of work -- more so that what they did on my car under the original recall.

I've pasted the text of the letter below (OCR, so it may contain typos)... would love to hear other owners' thoughts...

Subject:
Emissions Service Action 2328
3.0L TDI Engine — Emissions System Modification Correction (AEM-C)
2014-2016 Model Year Audi 05, A6, A7 and A8/A8L with 3.0L TDI Engine (GeneratiOn 2 Passenger Cars)

Dear Audi Owner,

As part of Audi's ongoing commitment to customer satisfaction, we are informing you of our decision to conduct a service action on certain 2014-2016 model year Audi 3.0L TDI (Gen 2 PC) vehicles that received an Approved Emissions Modification, or that will eventually receive the Approved Emissions Modification, pursuant to the terms of Audi's Second Partial Consent Decree with the Environmental Protection Agency, Department of Justice, California Air Resources Board, and California Attorney General. Our records show that you are the owner of a vehicle affected by this action.

Information about this Approved Emissions Modiļ¬cation Correction (AEM-C)
  • To reduce soot accumulation related to the oxygen sensor, it is necessary to perform an AEM Correction and replace and relocate the oxygen sensor to a different location in the exhaust pipe. This soot accumulation may cause the sensor not to work effectively and could illuminate your "check engine" light. Fixing this issue will require installation of a new diesel particulate filter (DPF) with an improved oxygen sensor position. The DPF is in a part that also includes a diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC) that will also be replaced as a result. In addition, as part of the same service action, Audi is releasing a software update to the Approved Emissions Modification (AEM) in order to improve on-board diagnostics (OBD) monitoring of vehicle emissions systems and also improve the software used by your vehicle.
  • Updates in this service action will not adversely impact your vehicle’s drivability, features, fuel economy, or warranty coverage.
  • Updates will take up to four (4) hours to complete, and will be performed for you free of charge.
  • Audi will provide you a loaner vehicle. You may also request alternate transportation during this update.

What should you do?
If you elect to receive these updates, please contact your authorized Audi dealer as soon as possible to schedule this service. Please keep in mind that your dealer may need additional time for the preparation of the repair, as well as to accommodate their daily workshop schedule. For your convenience, you can also visit www.audiusa.com and click on the “Find a Dealer” link to locate a dealer near you and schedule this service. Before you receive these updates, you will be required to provide written authorization to the Audi dealer.

This service action is voluntary. However. if you previously received an Approved Emissions Modification and elect not to receive these updates to your vehicle, it may cause issues with your OBD system and require a trip to an authorized Audi dealer to address.

If you already received an AEM and elect to receive these updates, you have two options:
  • Option 1: At your convenience, you may contact your nearest authorized Audi dealer and arrange for an appointment to receive this service action update at no cost to you with your written authorization.
  • Option 2: When you visit your Audi service department for any reason, including the “check engine” light being illuminated due to this issue, the dealer can update your vehicle with your written authorization.

Additionally, if you chose to receive an AEM, but have not yet received it, please contact your nearest authorized Audi dealer for an appointment. The dealer will provide both the AEM and this AEM-C during the same appointment with your written authorization.

Lease vehicles and address changes
If you are the lessor and registered owner of the vehicle identifieded in this action, please forward this letter immediately via first-class mail to the lessee within ten (10) days of receipt. If you have changed your address or sold the vehicle. please fill out the enclosed prepaid Owner Reply card and mail it to us so we can update our records.

Can we assist you further?
If your authorized Audi dealer fails or is unable to complete this work free of charge within a reasonable time, please contact Audi Customer Experience at 1-800-253-2834 or via our “Contact Us” page at www.audiusa.com.

Checking your vehicle for open Recalls and Service Campaigns
To check your vehicle's eligibility for repair under this or any other recall/service campaign, please visit the Recall/Service Campaign Lookup tool at www.audiusa.com and enter your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).

We apologize for any inconvenience this matter may cause; however we are taking this action to help ensure your vehicle continues to meet your expectations and the requirements of Audi's Consent

Decree with the United States and California.

Sincerely,
Audi Customer Protection
The following users liked this post:
Jaycon (08-12-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 890 Likes on 729 Posts

This has popped up on a few threads. I haven’t received my letter yet. I guess the original EPA fix was a dud.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...l-tdi-2977004/
Old 08-03-2019, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been flip-flopping about moving on to a Tesla Model 3 Performance... but I just took the TDI up to Canada for a few days which really makes me appreciate the Audi, and the TDI engine. But the above recall notice has me worried 'cause it seems pretty extensive relative to the original recall.

The Model 3 interior is... uninspiring... but wonder if it's time to move on to something that should be more reliable (EVs in general), and incredible technology that continuously is improved. Or stick around and maybe Audi will buy these back??? (Yes, more flip-flopping!).
Old 08-03-2019, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just got my letter today too. The original fix was causing excessive soot to damage O2 sensors which it seemed like it was a specific driving style cause it wasn’t very many but the ones coming in for it would come in multiple times and all Audi would tell us is “install another one”. So it looks like they hopefully fixed it.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just got my letter today and ... this is great news! This car really is a once in a lifetime opportunity. $10K cash, powertrain warranty extension and now we get a new DPF out of this recall. Christmas has indeed come early.
The following users liked this post:
VWowserz (09-09-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 2014a6tdi
I just got my letter today and ... this is great news! This car really is a once in a lifetime opportunity. $10K cash, powertrain warranty extension and now we get a new DPF out of this recall. Christmas has indeed come early.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Just chiming in - received my notice of 'service action'. Still holding off on fix, and will be interested in reports how this 'fix modification' affects things.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by AMDG75
Just chiming in - received my notice of 'service action'. Still holding off on fix, and will be interested in reports how this 'fix modification' affects things.
As you know, we both have the same plan. I have April 30, 2020 marked on my calendar!
Old 08-04-2019, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
As you know, we both have the same plan. I have April 30, 2020 marked on my calendar!

Yes, kind of like: who will jump off the cliff first Hopefully, the water below will clearer than it is now.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
All three of us have the same plan.

Quick Reply: New TDI Emissions Action 23Z8