Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

new HTC One and 2012 A6

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new HTC One and 2012 A6

Bluetooth connects fine but the phone book isn't importing. Anyone else have issues with Android phones? Worked fine with my iPhones.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fettym@gmail.com
Bluetooth connects fine but the phone book isn't importing. Anyone else have issues with Android phones? Worked fine with my iPhones.
I had the same problem when I first got my A6 with a ThunderBolt. Its not tied to Android but the phone, my current SIII works fine. If you're using Gmail, export your contacts as a vsd file. Place that on an SD card and using the MMI import that. Once I had done that changes to my phone contacts would update when the phone synced with the car.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
I had the same problem when I first got my A6 with a ThunderBolt. Its not tied to Android but the phone, my current SIII works fine. If you're using Gmail, export your contacts as a vsd file. Place that on an SD card and using the MMI import that. Once I had done that changes to my phone contacts would update when the phone synced with the car.
excellent, i'll try to sync them via sd card. so after you did it once, they would update automatically when you changed someone on your phone?
Old 04-22-2013, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

excellent, i'll try to sync them via sd card. so after you did it once, they would update automatically when you changed someone on your phone?
Yes, but again, there wasn't much rhyme or reason for what one phone did and another didn't. Be aware there are mulitple contact areas within the MMI system. It will sync and maintain 4 different phones if memory serves, plus I think there is also a global area.

If you have a problem, delete all the MMI memory, remove the Bluetooth sync and set everything up again. I think I had to do that a couple times.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Android and Audi

Audis are quite particular with what contacts they like to import (or not). The ones with Nav are worse. My phone, which would not import into my car, worked fine on an A6 loaner without Navigation.

There are a couple of experiments to try. First one, have a single contact with just a name and a phone number on the phone, and nothing else. See if that imports. If it does, then the issue is most likely a formatting thing.

In my case, I have a Rezound and I use Outlook for my contacts. What I noticed is that if I had any carriage returns in any contact, it would not import. I found this most commonly in addresses, where, typically, each field is separated by carriage returns. I substituted all CR with commas.
I also had a contact with two email addresses. That one did not work either. Removed one address.
What I ended up doing is deleting groups of ocntacts until it successfully imported, then figuring out which ones were the culprits by elimination. Knowing the carriage return thing was enough to fix most of mine.
You can also figure out what's going on (to some degree) by manually importing contacts; the car 'counts up' as it imports, but if it doesn't like a contact, regardless of how many it counts before the offending one, the import fails. But this will at least give you an idea of how many the car 'liked' before the first failed one.

I find this quite frustrating, but I got it to work in the end. Now, I re-read my contacts every couple of months to see if they still update; once you put a contact it doesn't like, the updates stop for the phonebook even though it retains the ones it already had. Whenever I run into a problem, I look at creation/modification time in my contacts to figure out which is the offending one.... but I really wish Audi would fix this. It's not rocket science! At the very least, it should feed back to the user which contact it cannot process!
Old 04-25-2013, 07:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did you get this to work? I was about to order the HTC One and was never able to get the HTC One X+ to work on my 2012 A6 with Nav. If the SD import works and then subsequent changes sync, I'd go ahead with the HTC One. Let me know - thanks.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by swassbac
Did you get this to work? I was about to order the HTC One and was never able to get the HTC One X+ to work on my 2012 A6 with Nav. If the SD import works and then subsequent changes sync, I'd go ahead with the HTC One. Let me know - thanks.
nope, couldn't get it to work. the sd import would only transfer 100 contacts. i tried syncing to a 2011 mmi and that worked fine!!! wtf...

I tried syncing to my wife's allroad and that wouldn't work either.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mikem33
I find this quite frustrating, but I got it to work in the end. Now, I re-read my contacts every couple of months to see if they still update; once you put a contact it doesn't like, the updates stop for the phonebook even though it retains the ones it already had. Whenever I run into a problem, I look at creation/modification time in my contacts to figure out which is the offending one.... but I really wish Audi would fix this. It's not rocket science! At the very least, it should feed back to the user which contact it cannot process!
How many contacts were you able to import? Another poster in this thread could only get 100 contacts. I remembered when I tried this before it would crash partway through even when I stripped addresses out of the Outlook export. I'll try again but am wondering can it handle 500, 1000, etc?
Old 04-25-2013, 04:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just received by HTC One and have no issues getting the car to import all my contacts. Was actually pretty quick compared to my Galaxy S2.

For reference, I have a 2013 A6 Prestige.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by joesky
For reference, I have a 2013 A6 Prestige.
Prestige has Navigation/MMI, right? As far as I can tell from Audi's site Bluetooth compatibility is identical on 2012/13 so I guess I'll order the phone. Thanks!

Quick Reply: new HTC One and 2012 A6