Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

New To Audi, New To The Forums

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know how to track it's shipping? Not hard to do, it makes the time go a little faster.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4Rings4AL
28 days to go
Sounds like a nice little Christmas present for you!
Old 11-17-2012, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got a call from my sales guy yesterday that my car is scheduled to hit the port of entry (Houston) on Jan 3rd and he says it will be about 10 days after that for delivery.

So question is if it is supposed to hit he entry point on the 3rd when should I start tracking it on the ship? When I had my wife's BMW built it was so much easier to track. Also when do you think they would start the build process?

Thanks
Old 11-17-2012, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You should ask your salesperson when the car will be loaded on the shipping vessel. With that information you will be able to track the shipment all the way to the port.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Grapeking
Do you know how to track it's shipping? Not hard to do, it makes the time go a little faster.
No need to track the car. I have a guaranteed delivery date of Dec 6. To bad I don't get back to the states until dec 15. But I do like to know where it was. So through the information provided here I found out it arrived in San Diego on 12 nov. I emailed the dealership it's being delivered to (also in San Diego) and was told its still at the port. I'm pretty confident it will get to the dealership in the next 18-27 days. In the mean time I will continue to glean info from guys like you, you've had several great threads, and other guys on here. Just wish I could do something to make the time pass faster.

One question for all those reading, if you could do one thing to improve on the day you took delivery to make it better what would it be?
Old 11-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ltdplus9
Sounds like a nice little Christmas present for you!
An awesome Christmas Present!!! Can't wait!,,
Old 11-18-2012, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Rings4AL
One question for all those reading, if you could do one thing to improve on the day you took delivery to make it better what would it be?
One thing? Not write a check.

Seriously, here's a check list I use (in no particular order) that can make it a good experience:

1. Inspect the car carefully inside and out for any damage or obvious cosmetic issues and have the dealer note them on the invoice.
2. Allow the dealer to walk you through the various features (this gives you a jump start on understanding all the systems).
3. Ensure the dealer activates Sirius and T-Mobile free trials.
4. Ensure the AMI cable is present and if you have an iPhone or 3rd generation iTouch, see if they will swap out the blue grommet AMI cable for the red one (for video and album art display).
5. Resist all offers to purchase add-ons from the finance mgr. like extended warranties, Audi Care, paint treatments, etc. Despite what he may say otherwise, you can purchase these later if you are so inclined. (Audi Care is the only one I'll buy at 15K service and bras and films will be usually less expensive from third parties on your own).
6. Ensure you get a full tank of gas.
7. If required, make sure they provide the info to your insurance company and the car has its inspection sticker.
8. Ensure the shipping blocks have been removed.
9. Ensure spare, jack and all operating manuals are present.
10. Check tire pressures are not set to the max settings on the door label but are set to the manual's recommendation.
11. Bring a camera and take some photos before you drive it off the lot. The car will never look better and you'll have a nice record of the experience for later.
12. Try not to be too excited to drive the car before running down the list above.

Good luck and (soon) welcome home!
Old 11-18-2012, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven

Seriously, here's a check list I use (in no particular order) that can make it a good experience:
Excellent quick checklist which will come in useful when I pick up my S6 in mid-Decemeber. I have always trusted the Audi and BMW sales guys because of the number of past cars I purchased from them but it never hurts to be 100% sure. A couple of questions:

1. Inspect the car carefully inside and out for any damage or obvious cosmetic issues and have the dealer note them on the invoice.
I will do this time. Have been excited about signing the paperwork and driving past new cars off the lot that I don't think about this step too much. There are times when I get home and a few days later, I see a nick in the paintwork and wonder if it happened before delivery. Will also test drive the car if you think it makes sense, however, I don't I will find any major issues during a brief test drive.

2. Allow the dealer to walk you through the various features (this gives you a jump start on understanding all the systems).
3. Ensure the dealer activates Sirius and T-Mobile free trials.
I love checking out the new features in my past cars by myself and have told sales reps not to bother with this step. With all the new technologies in the S6, I think I will ask the rep to spend the time with me. Good point about activating the Sirius and T-Mobile. Will also purchase the T-Mobile 3 year deal at signing.

4. Ensure the AMI cable is present and if you have an iPhone or 3rd generation iTouch, see if they will swap out the blue grommet AMI cable for the red one (for video and album art display).
Is the AMI cable standard and can the red cable work with Android phones for video and album art?

11. Bring a camera and take some photos before you drive it off the lot. The car will never look better and you'll have a nice record of the experience for later.
Excellent idea. Having having own the S5 for 5 years, I did not take a single photo until it was time to trade it in. Best to take pictures when the car is already detailed.

Thanks again!!
Old 11-18-2012, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing? Not write a check.

1. Inspect the car carefully inside and out for any damage or obvious cosmetic issues
I would add, for this step, it is best to pickup the car during the day when you have sunlight to inspect your car
Old 11-18-2012, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Have them put the car on a lift and check out the underside. Look for any obvious dents and scrapes. The ugly half of the car is facing the ground - don't ignore it. Take a few pictures for reference while you're at it.

I learned this lesson by paying for a gas tank that was damaged by the car transporter. I found it several months later when I was having the car undercoated. The dealer claimed that I must have run over something that pushed in the tank but didn't do any damage to anything else.

Quick Reply: New To Audi, New To The Forums