Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

New to Audi

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New to Audi

Going to be picking an A6 Premium plus 2.0 Quattro in the near future. Had an Infiniti, fun car, but too small and Infiniti dealer and their service end are sleeze bags.

Couple of questions:

1. I know everyone will say their car is great, etc., but any hiccups you've had with your car?

2. I ordered LED headlights: Are they as good as advertised? My G and wife's Lexus RX have HIDs, they're awesome, are the LEDs better?

3. For anyone in southeastern PA/Delaware, looking for a clear film dealer to install. Good places to get it done and what should I expect to pay to get the front end covered?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations on the new car. To answer your questions:
1. Knock on wood, everything has been ok so far
2. I had Xenon's in my previous car (BMW) and after switching into the LEDs I didn't find a huge difference. It was little better but don't expect a quantum leap. Not sure if your Infiniti had Xenons. If you had regular halogens then yes, the gain will be much bigger for you.
3. Sorry, not in your neck of the woods.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have the xenons in the Infiniti as well. Have driven halogen headlights at night, it's like there's no headlights at all.

What is the fuel recommendation? 89 octane?
Old 03-18-2016, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bp1203
Going to be picking an A6 Premium plus 2.0 Quattro in the near future. Had an Infiniti, fun car, but too small and Infiniti dealer and their service end are sleeze bags.

Couple of questions:

1. I know everyone will say their car is great, etc., but any hiccups you've had with your car?

2. I ordered LED headlights: Are they as good as advertised? My G and wife's Lexus RX have HIDs, they're awesome, are the LEDs better?

3. For anyone in southeastern PA/Delaware, looking for a clear film dealer to install. Good places to get it done and what should I expect to pay to get the front end covered?

Thanks in advance.
First Audi here too (excluding a 1972 100LS, not really relevant). Came from a MB E Class.

1) Great parts....powertrain, chassis, dynamic performance, interior, comfort, assembly quality. Hiccups...all/only electrical...issues with radio volume turning itself down erratically, AudiConnect failed multiple times in the hands of dealer and Audi Tech Support until someone figured it out after a couple of weeks, auto start/stop failed twice leaving the engine off, and we coded it off permanently, handle touch door lock/unlock remains erratic.

2) Hard to apply your quantifications, but LED headlamps are great too, to our eyes.

3) Don't know a dealer in your area, but look for an authorized Xpel Ultimate installer. 10 year warranty, self-healing, very hard to see...better than 3M currently.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

I had Xenon's on my 2013 A6 but my 2016 A6 2.0 has the LED's; I think the LED's are much better in terms of distance and the color of the lights. They seem to be more focused so as not to blind oncoming traffic.
The one negative thing with my 2016 2.0 P+ is that the 8-speed Tiptronic transmission is programmed to stay in the highest gear possible for the sake of fuel economy when on cruise. This means that on hills it sometime lugs. My 2013 (also with the 2.0) was much better in this regard.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

If you want the best, I'll second the Xpel Ultimate film. For paint prep, a full hood, bumper, front fenders, headlights, A pillars and wrapped edges on the hood and fenders (no visible seams) figure about $1400-$1700. You can go to Xpel's website for a list of installers in your area.

Also highly recommended, consider adding a full car application of Opti-Coat Pro/Plus. Puts a glossy shell over your paint (and the film) that will protect ffrom UV, bugs and environmental damage. No waxing needed, sheds dirt faster and will last for many years. About $500-$800.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. I know it's a debate that goes back and forth: What octane do you use in your 2.0T? I'm not worried about performance, I have a 3 year-old in the back seat, so no need for speed.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks. I know it's a debate that goes back and forth: What octane do you use in your 2.0T? I'm not worried about performance, I have a 3 year-old in the back seat, so no need for speed.
The Audi dealerships in the Pittsburgh area use 89 Octane for both the 2.0T and the 3.0T. I use 91-93 Octane for my 3.0T.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I use 93 in my 2012 2.0T. Sometimes it still knocks, even on 93, such as when going moderate to full throttle from low rpm, or when the engine and intake air are hot. The ECU strategy seems to want to push the turbo boost and ignition timing as far as possible until the engine starts knocking, and then back them off.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Inyoury
The Audi dealerships in the Pittsburgh area use 89 Octane for both the 2.0T and the 3.0T. I use 91-93 Octane for my 3.0T.
Better show them this article

http://static.ed.edmunds-media.com/u...red.031816.pdf

Our cars need 91 according to Edmunds.

Quick Reply: New to Audi