Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Need TDI vs TFSI advice for A6 order

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudioBear
Maverick61: your math is right and you're right that you can't put a price on enjoyment. It's also correct that government standards have a lot to do with the options we are being offered as does the price of fuel--the choice of diesel is a lot easier in the EU where fuel is 2-3X as expensive.

What you are missing is that diesels are fun to drive (at least for some of us). I personally found the TDI much more fun than the 3.0 TFSI for my driving style.
And that is fine - the TDI may be more fun to drive for your driving style. But I know you realize that the TFSI is a lot more fun to drive for other folks.

Me, I like the seat of the pants performance and acceleration the TFSI gives. If you prefer the performance of the TDI, so be it. Audi offers choices. But this thread asked a question and folks expressed their opinion.

Like I said earlier, what I have come to learn from past TDI vs TFSI discussions here is the TDI folks are like the hybrid zealots. Diesel is a new religion to them and they like to preach it. You are obviously passionate about diesels. I understand and appreciate that. But I don't think that invalidates what I was saying. However to make it clear, let me restate my statement as such:

Someone who spends $60K on a car likely does not have to worry about fuel economy. They may choose to - just like others choose to focus on performance. But if they have the money to spend on an expensive vehicle, the difference in operating cost to them is minimal (especially when you consider the upfront cost of diesel is greater)
Old 01-20-2014, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Maverick61

Someone who spends $60K on a car likely does not have to worry about fuel economy. They may choose to - just like others choose to focus on performance. But if they have the money to spend on an expensive vehicle, the difference in operating cost to them is minimal (especially when you consider the upfront cost of diesel is greater)
You stated your point much more clearly that time and I think we probably all agree with the quote above. The key word is HAVE; surely if they can afford an Audi A6 or similar the cost of fuel is typically not a big deal for them. Most people in this price range are not on a fuel budget but that doesn't mean they don't care about how much fuel they use. Some are even penny wise and pound foolish. Others care about how much fuel they use for non-monetary reasons.

Personally I didn't buy a TDI to save money, but one reason I did buy it was to save fuel. I'm not a diesel zealot, although I think more people will buy them over the next few years. I just liked both cars and it didn't make that much difference to me one way or the other although I preferred the TDI--I even hate the smell of diesel fuel. If there was no TDI I would have been in hog heaven driving an A6 3.0 TFSI. The OP asked for opinions and we have done a pretty good job of airing them.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Fuel economy brewhaha set aside, the main factors in my engine decision: reasonably good performance/fun factor, long engine life (>150K miles), fuel economy. The TDI wins on mileage and should also on engine life. From what I've read the TDI performance is overall almost as good in an apples (HP) and oranges (torque) sort of way as the 3.0T. I'm coming from a '04 A6 2.7T (blew a turbo at 145K miles), so either engine is a performance step up for me. One of the biggest benefits of the good mileage is only having to refuel about two thirds as often as the 3.0T. Over the course of years that adds up to a fair bit of time saved.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audiman98
long engine life (>150K miles),
modern gas engine in general are designed to last a long time, say 500k miles, a diesel may last 1 mil miles, but the rest of the car will fall apart way before then.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by q5q7
modern gas engine in general are designed to last a long time, say 500k miles, a diesel may last 1 mil miles, but the rest of the car will fall apart way before then.
Yes... you can transplant the engine into a power boat, aircraft tug, or home generator! The uses are limitless! Let's see a hybrid do that Pure jesting, of course. But I do recall seeing a VW V10 TDI speedboat in youtube a few years ago.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Maverick61
Like I said earlier, what I have come to learn from past TDI vs TFSI discussions here is the TDI folks are like the hybrid zealots. Diesel is a new religion to them and they like to preach it.
If TDI owners told you the earth was not flat, would we still be "like hybrid zealots?" I'm not a hybrid zealot.

I appreciate the flattery, but only nihilists can drive diesel cars. Get it right!

Old 01-24-2014, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Another consideration....don't overfill diesel at the pump:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2860197
Old 01-24-2014, 05:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Another consideration....don't overfill diesel at the pump:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2860197
Diesel is an oil, so it does not evaporate as quickly as gasoline. It can be cleaned and it will not affect paint like gasoline or brake fluid.

Actually, filling the A6 TDI has been the easiest diesel so far. Normally, you need to do a "venting" procedure to top off the tank because the fuel will foam up like a beer head. That foam is what causes the pump to shut off, and you will have a full tank, but there's usually a .5-.1.5 gallon capacity remaining in the tank. I filled up my A6 the other day and noticed that when the pump shut off, it was full and there was foam. It could be a new filler neck design or it could have been the quality of the fuel.

And if you don't like the smell of diesel, jet fuel, or napalm in the morning, then by all means, stick to the gasser.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by audiman98
Over the course of years that adds up to a fair bit of time saved.
It is interesting that in any cost saving calculations the time saved is never calculated in. All of us can assign a certain value to our time - $1/minute, or $4/ minute or ? So in my "calculation" this time saved by not having to stop and fill up as frequently exceeds the money saved due to the 30% better mileage. (I would gladly pay extra for a 90l tank instead of our 75l).
Old 01-24-2014, 07:22 AM
Banned

I drove a Mercedes AMG across the country two years ago. Twice in the same day, in two different states, at two different gas stations, I had people approach me and beg for gas money. I told the first person to get lost. The second person, however, in Texas, not only wore a leather biker's vest and bandana, but he had a compelling bull**** story. I figured it would be better to give him $5 for gas/protection money just in case he catches up to me later on in the day. You never know when you need to repair a flat.

In contrast, I've driven several different diesel cars across the country. One of which was another Mercedes. However, I fill up with diesel at truck stops and take the opportunity to roll around to the back side of the station and fill up with the truckers. Beyond the occasional confused trucker who doesn't know the car is a diesel, I never get approached. On the non-auto side of the truck stops, it's clean and professional, like a terminal at an airport. Strictly business. Get it, get out. Time is money.

I normally go 500 miles (in 7 hours) before I stop for fuel. I usually have 150+ miles left on range, but it's best not to go down to the last drop just in case the interstate gets backed up.

Essentially, fewer stops increases my personal safety. Especially when I don't have to stop for fuel at night if I time it right.

Originally Posted by perlfather
It is interesting that in any cost saving calculations the time saved is never calculated in. All of us can assign a certain value to our time - $1/minute, or $4/ minute or ? So in my "calculation" this time saved by not having to stop and fill up as frequently exceeds the money saved due to the 30% better mileage. (I would gladly pay extra for a 90l tank instead of our 75l).

Quick Reply: Need TDI vs TFSI advice for A6 order