Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Need TDI vs TFSI advice for A6 order

Old 01-18-2014, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need TDI vs TFSI advice for A6 order

Thanks to all those contributing to a great forum-I've gleaned a lot of valuable information from this site, especially the ACNA 6% MSRP discount. I'm about to finalize a special order A6 within the next 3 days, and I'm having a really tough time deciding between the TDI and 3.0 TFSI despite having researched them both fairly extensively. I've briefly test driven both cars twice, but could not tell much difference between them in those short drives in busy traffic. I live in the north and drive just under 20K annually, about 75% highway. I plan on keeping the car a long time, at least 6 years. I've never owned a diesel before.

For the record, here's the car I'm ordering: special order paint estoril blue crystal, prestige trim, LEDs, driver assist, 19" sport package, cold weather package. Basically trying to build a semi-economical faux S6.

I understand the break-even economics of the TDI, for me around 90K miles or 4 1/2 years. My decision between the two engines I want based on which is the most satisfying to drive long term. What real world mileage are A6 drivers seeing? I'm usually not an aggressive driver, but I'd like to have reasonable power on tap. I'd appreciate the thoughts of both TDI and 3.0 TFSI A6 owners on how they like (or don't like) their engines.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm going to wager you won't get too much help from the responses to this one because we probably all love our A6s and the engines in our A6s too. But I'll start off the parade. I picked up my A6 TDI Dec. 5 and have about 2K miles on it. I love the TDI and am happy I made the choice. That said, I couldn't tell much difference between it and the 3.0TFSI for my driving style which is much like yours. I was in the same quandary because the 3.0 TFSI has to be one of the smoothest, silkiest, most responsive engines in the world.

I do a lot of continuous low speed driving and a fair amount of it on hills. I think the TDI will serve me better for that mission. It remains to be seen if fewer parts in the diesel translates to less maintenance. Somebody here said that someone who buys a $60K+ car does care much about gas mileage. Could be true but I figured if the two cars were so close in performance why not opt for the greener choice. I have averaged almost 37MPG on my first four tankfuls. Do I feel like I am saving the planet? No? I'm happy with my choice and to speak to your question I really like the TDI. I should note that I drove a 2006 Jetta TDI for 7 years so I am comfortable with diesels, in fact I love diesels.

I would point out that there is a lot more experience with the A6 TFSI than with the TDI in the US so it's probably fair to say what you hear from TFSI drivers is going to be more representative of user experience than the few low mileage TDI drivers.

You are going to love this car whichever engine you pick. Nice order specs!
Old 01-18-2014, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry the quote was somebody that spends more than $60K isn't going to care much about fuel mileage.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

And here we go again...yet another TDI vs. TFSI thread.
Gentlemen, (re)start your engines.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a 2010 3.0T prior to trading up for a new TDI. I do about 15k miles/year with a 40 mile daily round-trip commute that's probably 75% highway (@ 75-80mph avg) and 25% city - with my 2010, I was averaging right around 20-21 mpg and now with the TDI I'm averaging 30-31 mpg after 6,000 miles, and easily getting over 500 miles between tank-ups.

For me, the appeal of the TDI wasn't so much to save money on gas and figuring out the break-even point for the added $2,400 "investment" in the TDI - as others have said, for those spending $60k +/- on a new car, you're probably not overly concerned about annual fuel costs. What I like about the TDI is the torque, the longer range (fewer fill-ups) and the fact that it is considered a "green" vehicle. As I was reading the latest edition of Quattro Quarterly (which focused heavily on TDI's) last night, I commented to my wife that in the 4 short months I've had the car, I've become a diesel-fan for life.

Based on your described commute and the fact that you're doing 20k miles/year, I think the TDI is the easy, right choice. BTW, nice build configuration - you didn't mention your interior color choice, but with the estoril and wanting a "semi-economical faux S6", I would say go with black interior with the black headliner option, and brushed aluminum trim for a sportier look.

Last edited by audi40; 01-20-2014 at 02:41 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by audi40
..I commented to my wife that in the 4 short months I've had the car, I've become a diesel-fan for life.
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

"Once you go diesel, you never go back."
Old 01-19-2014, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ward's has named the 3.0T one of the ten-best engines in the world for the past 5 years--they did it again in 2013. An unheard of accomplishment.

http://wardsauto.com/auto-makers/war...ges-discussion
Old 01-19-2014, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by in2dwww
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

"Once you go diesel, you never go back."
Completely agreed. I completed a roundtrip from Phoenix to San Diego in 24 hours and in total, the distance traveled was 795 miles. I achieved 37.1 mpg on the computer and went 650 miles while still having just under 1/4 of my tank left. Absolutely phenomenal. With the torque, the engine glided up the mountains entering San Diego county on the I-8. Diesel, to me, is the only way you should go.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

so if tdi can only get 36 mpg on highway the gas version is not too shabby for me either i can get 32-33 on garden state parkway 65mph.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would like to add, at 75mph, the computer showed 41.9 mpg. At 85 it dropped to 37.5 mpg.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need TDI vs TFSI advice for A6 order