Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Need Brake pad advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Brake pad advice

I have a brand new 2014 A6 2.0TFSI Quattro, 10,00 miles and for some reason one break is going already and screeching. I've used EBC redstuffs on my MKV R32 in the past so i am familiar with them but the website online has fitment for a 2WD. Brakes from Audi would cost ~$800 (which is the biggest rip off i have ever heard) and anyway my wheels are constantly black from stock brake dust anyway. So i was wondering what is the best route to take in purchasing front and rear brake pads. All advice is appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-17-2015, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aZadeh9
I have a brand new 2014 A6 2.0TFSI Quattro, 10,00 miles and for some reason one break is going already and screeching. I've used EBC redstuffs on my MKV R32 in the past so i am familiar with them but the website online has fitment for a 2WD. Brakes from Audi would cost ~$800 (which is the biggest rip off i have ever heard) and anyway my wheels are constantly black from stock brake dust anyway. So i was wondering what is the best route to take in purchasing front and rear brake pads. All advice is appreciated. Thanks
The squealing brakes doesn't necessarily mean the pads are going, especially with that few miles on them. It's an "undocumented feature" of Audi brake pads - at least on the A6. They squeal, even though they have plenty of life left.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dwboston
The squealing brakes doesn't necessarily mean the pads are going, especially with that few miles on them. It's an "undocumented feature" of Audi brake pads - at least on the A6. They squeal, even though they have plenty of life left.
Truth. Worse when it's cold outside.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

good to know. so anything i should/could do for it? or just deal with it
Old 01-17-2015, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

good to know. so anything i should/could do for it? or just deal with it
If it's brand new then you have a warranty and a dealer. Tell them to give you a call when it's fixed. I have 20k miles and have never heard the brakes make any noise.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had this too on my 42,000 mile vehicle, so I braced myself for my first $800 brake job.
They measured everything and assured me I had X millemeters left and could go at least another 5000 - 8000 miles. They said 50K was a good average for A6's brake life depending upon driving habits etc.

But then he said the squealing is due to some build up on the rotors (or something to that effect) and that to get rid of it, find a safe location and do an emergency stop from about 40 mph. That would "fix" it and the squealing would stop.

Has anyone else heard this before?
Old 01-17-2015, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DB22
If it's brand new then you have a warranty and a dealer. Tell them to give you a call when it's fixed. I have 20k miles and have never heard the brakes make any noise.
warranty does not cover brakes, thats considered wear and tear.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

warranty does not cover brakes, thats considered wear and tear.
Not always true. If the car is under warranty and if the noise (or other brake problem) is not related to wear and tear, then they will fix it under warranty.

I learned this when asking my dealer if they would do a brake job with non OEM products I brought in. They said they would but would only warranty the labor and not the parts, since they were not OEM parts.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Are DIY brake jobs that difficult?
Old 01-20-2015, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JRomulus
But then he said the squealing is due to some build up on the rotors (or something to that effect) and that to get rid of it, find a safe location and do an emergency stop from about 40 mph. That would "fix" it and the squealing would stop.
Upgrading to a slot rotor may help - it renews the pad continuously and channel the dust away.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/brake...042SLbox_l.jpg

You will need to replace the pad/rotor anyway around 40K depending on your driving.

Quick Reply: Need Brake pad advice