Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 TDI vs S6

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 06:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 TDI vs S6

I am pretty set on getting a A6 or S6 and am willing to pay the difference between the A6 TDI and S6 if the driving experience is really that much better. However, my local dealer has not had a S6 for a while and the closest one to me is a 3 plus hour drive, which my crazy schedule at work just wont allow. I have driven the A6 TDI and liked it (I currently have a 2008 Infiniti G35x) and am sure I would like the S6 even more, but without driving it I have a hard time guessing HOW much more and if its worth the extra price, both in MSRP and in gas.

Has anyone here driven both the S6 and the A6 TDI that can give me a rough idea of how much better/faster the S6 is? There is only a 1 sec 0-60 spec difference. I can configure them to look almost identical with black optics, etc, and as well as interior and tech packages etc. Obviously the S6 has a different suspension

Thoughts??
Old 05-29-2014, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I was asking myself the same thing recently. I was looking for my 3rd 6 and was pretty sure I was going to pull the trigger and get an S6. I had been lusting after one for a while. After a lot of test drives and thinking, I ultimately decided to pull the trigger on a 2014 A6 3.0T Prestige that the dealer had on its lot. At an MSRP of $67k this was only a few grand less than a stock S6. The dealer let me have as many and as long test drives as i wanted with the 3.0T, TDI and an S7 the he had with a sticker of $80k. He did not have an S6 but I felt like the S7 was close enough to give me a good comparison.

Why did I opt for the 3.0T instead of ordering an S6? Basically, it was because I was very happy with the way the 3.0T felt and drove. I think it's a great car. The S7 certainly was faster, sounds meaner, and has that zing factor. However, I did not feel that there was enough zing to justify the price differential. Keep in mind the cost is not just the difference in MSRP. The money factor was much much lower on the A6 (I lease for business reasons), I had the leverage to negotiate for a car on the lot as opposed to less leverage when negotiating for something ordered, and the maintenance and insurance costs are significantly more on the S6. I am finally to a place where I could have easily afforded the extra cost, but I still think in terms of "good value."

I would drive the S7 and think, "oh yea, I want this". Then I would drive the 3.0T and think, "you know, I really like the way this feels." There was nothing deficient or substandard about the 3.0T. Plus, I liked that when I mashed down on the 3.0T I felt like I was getting lots of torque but not more than I could control. I kind of felt like the power of the S7 was a little bit more than I was ready to handle. My driving is only on the public roads as a daily driver. I don't track the car or take it to the drag strip. Add to this that the A6 was loaded with tech (love the ACC!) that I was going to leave out of the S6 to keep the cost down. So I went with the 3.0T.

FWIW, the TDI was the least appealing option to me. I preferred the higher revving engine and the power that comes from the 3.0T when revving between 4000 and 6200 RPMs.

This is just one man's opinion. Take it for what its worth. Good luck! Report back when you've decided because I'd like to hear your thinking.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 188 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by kcbonedoc
I am pretty set on getting a A6 or S6 and am willing to pay the difference between the A6 TDI and S6 if the driving experience is really that much better. However, my local dealer has not had a S6 for a while and the closest one to me is a 3 plus hour drive, which my crazy schedule at work just wont allow. I have driven the A6 TDI and liked it (I currently have a 2008 Infiniti G35x) and am sure I would like the S6 even more, but without driving it I have a hard time guessing HOW much more and if its worth the extra price, both in MSRP and in gas.

Has anyone here driven both the S6 and the A6 TDI that can give me a rough idea of how much better/faster the S6 is? There is only a 1 sec 0-60 spec difference. I can configure them to look almost identical with black optics, etc, and as well as interior and tech packages etc. Obviously the S6 has a different suspension

Thoughts??
These are totally different cars in that one is a beast and the other is a mileage champ with luxury touches. I have driven and launched an S6 and it put a huge smile on my face. The TDI wont do that but it will also do better than 16 mpg around town. The S6 seats are better in that you have options for massage functions and standard thigh extensions. You also have an air suspension a DSG transmission that allows stop light launches and a 0-60 in the low 4 sec range along with other things that set the car apart. A TDI A6 is a wonderful car but its for those who value torque and highway mpg's along with a more conservative ride. Last but not least, a properly optioned S6 is around 80k. Plan on ordering one and for 80k its worth a plane ticket or 3 hour drive to test one out.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by atlanta A6
The S6 seats are better in that you have options for massage functions and standard thigh extensions. You also have an air suspension a DSG transmission...
Other than the engine, the factors that swayed me to the S6 were (as listed above), far superior seats (the seats in the A6 don't fit me right), the air suspension (amazingly comfortable, yet still sporty) and the DSG. I also liked the sexy (and bullet-proof) Brembo brakes. The engine is just icing on the cake, but I hardly ever get to enjoy the extra power. The other bits (well, except for the brakes) can be enjoyed and appreciated on a daily basis.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

As others have noted - these are two completely different animals.

TDI for MPG, S6 for pure speed, 3.0T nice blend of both

In real world driving, in terms of acceleration / engine performance the S6 is best, followed by the 3.0T with the TDI at the rear.

In terms of MPG - reverse that order

There are other differences but since you focused primarily on the engine, that is what you have. It really depends on what is important to you
Old 05-30-2014, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having come from an RS4 to the A6 TDI...it is VERY different.

The only thing I would suggest to you is weight which you prefer more...outright performance or an extremely capable allrounder.

Having a TDI, it is extremely versitile and useable while returning 33+ MPG at the pump average. It's got....*****...but not S6 *****. If I had to do it over again, I'd still take the TDI, but would like the seats from the S6!
Old 05-30-2014, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default TDI vs. S6

Originally Posted by NoahWeb

Having a TDI, it is extremely versitile and useable while returning 33+ MPG at the pump average. It's got....*****...but not S6 *****. If I had to do it over again, I'd still take the TDI, but would like the seats from the S6!
Well put. You might want to read the Q5 TDI test thread, however, here is a pretty good description.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...di_first_test/

Basically if you enjoy driving with revs between 4.5 k and 7 k definitely get the S6. If you generally drive below 4.6k get the TDI. Not surprisingly you'll probably never think about downshifting in a TDI.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks for the replies thus far. I do agree that the crux of the problem is that I can't figure out which factors I weight the heaviest. Like one of the other posters, I too will lease for business reasons (I will drive a lot of the total miles on the car for business so I can pay a large percentage of the lease, maintainece, gas, other expenses with pretax dollars ) so a vastly different money factor may come into play.

Its not that I am not willing to take a road trip/plane ride for a test drive, I just work so many hours it is logistically difficult
Old 05-31-2014, 09:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

kcbonedoc: dont anguish and languish in your decision. Get the A6 TDI for your daily enviro-friendly cruiser and a 911 Turbo for those times when you need a dopamine/epinephrine blast!
Thats what I did and Im so therapeutic!
Joker
Old 05-31-2014, 05:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JokerzWld
kcbonedoc: dont anguish and languish in your decision. Get the A6 TDI for your daily enviro-friendly cruiser and a 911 Turbo for those times when you need a dopamine/epinephrine blast!
Thats what I did and Im so therapeutic!
Joker
yeah, ideally i would have a daily driver and a "fun" car. In reality though, that would never pass "executive approval" aka the wife. Therefore I would like a single car that has some sport to it, yet can be driven year round ( I live in KC, so we get snow, etc)

Quick Reply: A6 TDI vs S6