Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Need a little help ... secondary radiator air intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 05:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a little help ... secondary radiator air intake

What does that little radiator cool btw?

If someone has a second to check something for me it would be greatly appreciated.

The A6 I purchased had been a trade from another dealer and for whatever reason they had already drilled the holes in the grill for the front plate holder. I hate having the front plate on so my buddy that sold me the car had them swap the grill out with another car that didn't have the holes ... which apparently involves removing much of the front nose piece.

The other day when I was washing the car and poking around that intake area because I was curious about what was in there it seemed like the rubber piece that channels the air back to the little radiator wasn't attached at the front. It's not just floating around back there but when I pushed on it it seemed connected at the back but not at the front which makes it loose enough that it would seem that even highway speed air channeling back would likely press it backwards.

So, when I went by the dealer for free car wash Saturday last weekend my buddy and I checked another A6 and it was the same so figured that was just the design ... but, after getting back home, realized the one on the lot we'd checked was the one we'd swapped the grill with so they could have easily just missed the same spot when putting that one back together.

Anyway, below is a picture I just took of the area I'm talking about. If you have one like mine that is without the intelligent cruise it will be easier to check as you can just put your hand through the slots where the cars with that feature have that lattice grill.

Let me know if I'm not being clear and thanks in advance for any help.

http://users.rlc.net/rb/a6/intake.jpg
Old 05-05-2012, 06:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Probably cooling the brakes.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RBeam6
What does that little radiator cool btw?
That is the condenser for the air conditioning system. Usually, they are placed in front of the radiator but the A6 3.0L is supercharged so the intercooler is positioned there.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

(reply to picture)
And thus fluffy's life flashed before his eyes, never seeing the stunningly designed A6 traveling towards him at over 100 miles per hour. His final thought before the great void of death consumed him was "what the hell is up with this guys radiator?" *poof*
Old 05-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The car may look like it's going 100mph while sitting still .... but it was, in fact, sitting still. The neighbor's super friendly grey kitty made it through the short photo shoot unscathed.

So no one has had a chance to poke their finger in there and see if the ductwork has any give? I'm not losing a ton of sleep over it but I'm guessing if it is supposed to be attached at the front that being buffeted about by the wind at highway speeds might eventually have some adverse affect.