Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

LT: 3.0 TFSI engine knocking

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or maybe even the PCV! Those are the only 2 things that I can think of.

Also, I'm pretty sure the noise on mine happens when the car is warm.
Old 04-26-2023, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

I have the car at the office today in our underground parking. I'll leave a bit early and drive it to warm and then return underground and pop hood. Will get back to all late tonight/tomorrow. Mad, what's the flexplate? I could be wrong but my gut tells me that this is just one of those noises that is harmless and chasing it may be more trouble than it is worth. In any event I'll report back and interested to hear what your indy says.
Old 04-27-2023, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

OK, I drove the car home and pulled into the garage to listen for the subtle knocking noise. At first I could not hear it but then remembered that it is only audible inside the car if the climate control is off. Sure enough, it is still there although perhaps not quite as loud as it used to be. I looked back in this thread and I first posted at approximately 47K miles in November, 2020. 25K miles later noise still here but no adverse issues have presented so I'm just going to chalk this up to one of those Audi noises (subtle and really doesn't bother me much) and forget about it.

If I do change the PCV or anything else as time goes on and the noise goes away as a consequence of that, I'll do my best to let everyone know.

Best,
Jeff
Old 05-01-2023, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Acuransx
I have the car at the office today in our underground parking. I'll leave a bit early and drive it to warm and then return underground and pop hood. Will get back to all late tonight/tomorrow. Mad, what's the flexplate? I could be wrong but my gut tells me that this is just one of those noises that is harmless and chasing it may be more trouble than it is worth. In any event I'll report back and interested to hear what your indy says.
The flexplate is a disc that is attached between the engine and torque converter. Sometimes these break and cause some rattling. Although I would imagine the rattling would be in all temps and not just when the car is warm as in our case.

I am also leaning towards this just being some random noise that it may not amount to anything. After listening to countless videos of Youtube with the supercharged 3.0 engine, it looks like it's common.

Anyways, I am having my Indy check over the entire car for me and going to mention this. I will reply back here if anything new.
Old 05-01-2023, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sounds good madman. Keep us posted thanks. So hard to tell exactly where the noise is coming from without the proper equipment and having car in air and likely spending quite some time on this. Again, for my part, I'm just going to drive and enjoy the car. Hopefully noise will get no worse.

Best,
Jeff

Old 11-08-2023, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Purge Valve

Chck the fuel purge valve on top of the throttle body at the back of the SC. $80 part, 15 minute fix. Also called the N80 purge. Makes a very loud intermittent ticking sound.

The following users liked this post:
GhenghisPrawn (11-08-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good point Davey. The lead tech at the dealer when I first asked about my noise said this valve sometimes is noisy. In my case the noise is not from the purge valve. Again, my noise is very subtle and I think just one of those Audi noises and even if something not a normal Audi noise it is now 30,000 miles since I first heard it and it is no louder and nothing has gone wrong so not going to worry about it!

Best,
Jeff
Old 04-23-2024, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Same Problem/Same Noise

I have a 2016 Audi A6 3.0T with that exact same noise. My car has 185k miles. No codes or problems, just the noise. It's very annoying as I can hear it inside the cabin on cold starts and even when it's warm every once in awhile. The Audi dealership told me "it's normal on some of these". That doesn't make me feel any better about it. At least it isn't a timing chain issue, as I originally thought it might be.
Old 04-24-2024, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ComputerDude816
I have a 2016 Audi A6 3.0T with that exact same noise. My car has 185k miles. No codes or problems, just the noise. It's very annoying as I can hear it inside the cabin on cold starts and even when it's warm every once in awhile. The Audi dealership told me "it's normal on some of these". That doesn't make me feel any better about it. At least it isn't a timing chain issue, as I originally thought it might be.
My noise started many years and miles ago -- see my prior posts. I decided not to go down the rabbit hole of figuring out what it is and glad I didn't go down that hole. Same as you, noise but no issues in tens of thousands of miles. Its just one of those things and I do not worry about it. Drive and enjoy!

Best,
Jeff