Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Looking in to getting a 2012 A6

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking in to getting a 2012 A6

I always liked the Audi styling. I never had a German car. Always bought Japanese cars due to reliability. Can you guys comment on the reliability of the 2012 A6? How many miles can I expect from the car, etc?
Old 03-18-2016, 05:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 Audi A6 I picked up used a year ago and haven't had any issues with it. I have 53K miles. The carfax report didn't report anything other than routine maintenance and safety recalls (2 that I'm aware of). Car still drive like new...
Old 03-18-2016, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I just purchased a CPO 2012 A6 quattro prestige 3.0T with 59K miles. service history did not show on CarFax but dealer service records showed all the service completed. It was all routine maintenance aside from software updates as they came out. Car drives like new as said above. I'm hoping to put many reliable miles on it. It is my first German car as well aside from my wife's BMW X3 years ago. I believe Audi's reliability has improved in recent years as Consumer reports attests. I believe they are number 3 now behind Lexus and Acura in the Luxury segment.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 381 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by Maximus Decimus

Always bought Japanese cars due to reliability.

If "reliability" is your primary focus, I'd keep going with the Asian cars.

While Audi has recently topped the "reliability" survey, the entire ownership experience may not align with your thinking, Max. I'd also look at the costs to maintain the vehicle, by the book, and compare it to whatever you're driving now. One thing about European cars, they're intolerant of skipped maintenance.

If you are going to pursue Audi, only get a CPO car from a dealer with minimal to no warranty claims against its history.

Good luck!
Old 03-18-2016, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm at 128k on my 2012. What Uberwgn said is true, you can't just go skipping Maint with these cars and expect them to run like a swiss clock. That being said, if you are mechanically inclined, these cars are pretty easy to work on.

Oil changes every 10k (oil filter/air filter)
Spark Plugs every 30k
Brakes, well whenever they get down far enough.
SC & Serp Belt I think are due around 80k.

Thats the bulk of the maint. Trans is supposed to be life time, but from what I've read and gleamed from speaking with some Audi service folks, it prollie would be a good idea to change the fluid at 150k.

I do my own maint and so far the only thing I haven't done is the Trans service. I'll start looking into that in about another 10k.

As always, I put it out there that I may have gotten lucky and have a very well aging car. Not everyone will be so lucky.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Calimus
I'm at 128k on my 2012. What Uberwgn said is true, you can't just go skipping Maint with these cars and expect them to run like a swiss clock. That being said, if you are mechanically inclined, these cars are pretty easy to work on.

Oil changes every 10k (oil filter/air filter)
Spark Plugs every 30k
Brakes, well whenever they get down far enough.
SC & Serp Belt I think are due around 80k.

Thats the bulk of the maint. Trans is supposed to be life time, but from what I've read and gleamed from speaking with some Audi service folks, it prollie would be a good idea to change the fluid at 150k.

I do my own maint and so far the only thing I haven't done is the Trans service. I'll start looking into that in about another 10k.

As always, I put it out there that I may have gotten lucky and have a very well aging car. Not everyone will be so lucky.
We may not all be so lucky but it sure is nice once in awhile to hear a very positive experience from someone especially somebody that has racked up some miles on one of these babies. Thanks!!!!

To the OP just realize that repair costs on this type of vehicle, especially if you take it to an Audi dealer, will be significantly higher than anything you ever experienced with your Japanese cars.

Last edited by DanfZX14; 03-18-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
If "reliability" is your primary focus, I'd keep going with the Asian cars.

While Audi has recently topped the "reliability" survey, the entire ownership experience may not align with your thinking, Max. I'd also look at the costs to maintain the vehicle, by the book, and compare it to whatever you're driving now. One thing about European cars, they're intolerant of skipped maintenance.

If you are going to pursue Audi, only get a CPO car from a dealer with minimal to no warranty claims against its history.

Good luck!

+1.

I came over from an /06 Acura TL that I drove for 9 years/140,000 miles. Fantastic car and very low running/maintenance/repair costs (under $2,000 in repairs over all those years and miles). A terrific ownership experience and factory stands behind the product (example: at 75,000 miles my starter pooped out -- dealer replaced and my bill was $150 labor only since Acura took the position that this failure was premature. Note that I did not ask them to do this, they just did. Nice way to build customer loyalty).

I love my new (had it now 9 months/8,000 miles) /15 A6 3.0T but I'm under no illusions. It is going to be far more expensive to run than the TL was. Maintenance/repair far more costly. Given some experiences of friends with Audis and information from an internal source at Audi, post-warranty goodwill adjustments in event of mechanical failures are not often forthcoming and this can result in a very expensive interaction with the dealer's service department. For example if the MMI decides to self-destruct you are easily looking at many thousands of dollars to repair.

From what I have read/heard from the dealer service writers and the lead tech, the 3.0T engine so far has no serious issues but I do worry about carbon build up issues (just google carbon buildup Audi and you will find plenty to read) after warranty expiration. Audi does not have the greatest reputation when it comes to taking care of their customers (I believe that it took a class action lawsuit against Audi to compel them to take care of their customers who bought A4s that tended to drink oil like a drunken sailor) so I would be wary of owning a car as complicated as the C7 A6 outside of warranty. As long as you go in with eyes open, they are lovely cars but if you expect Japanese reliability/low running costs/long life without expensive mechanical attention you might be disappointed.

Final word: this is just my 2 cents. I am not an Audi hater -- love my A6 -- just sharing my experience and what I know and have heard. If my A6 is great during warranty period I may well keep it for a year post-warranty expiration but not going to hold onto it as long as the TL which admittedly was a much simpler machine. Best of luck with your decision.

Jeff
Old 03-18-2016, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How about this? Fully loaded. 29k miles. No issue. Not for sale.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought my 2012 new in Feb 2012, and it has been flawless ever since. The miles are low (currently just under 29k), but the only thing I've ever had to do is take it in for its annual scheduled maintenance. There was one recent recall on it that resulted in a faulty thermostat being installed at the dealer, but that was the only unscheduled service visit in 4 years. I continue to be amazed at just how good this car is--great power, impressive mpg, and year-around ability. It continues to be a "look back at it after I get out of it" car that I look forward to driving every time. You can see from my signature I've had a pretty wide variety of interesting cars in the past so I have some perspective on my impressions of this car.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the 2012 with the cvt and from having it for 4 years new almost now no issues at all

Quick Reply: Looking in to getting a 2012 A6