Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Locking A6 in Garage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by kaorisdad
Thanks everyone for your responses. Here is a response from Audi Tech:

"It is true that certain systems are left on while the vehicle is unlocked. While we do not have a list of the specific systems that are left on when the vehicle is left unlocked, we can advise that they are passive systems. If your vehicle has been standing for an extended period, please note the following:
• The proximity sensors are deactivated after a few days to save power. You then have to pull on the door handle once to unlock the vehicle and a second time to open the vehicle.
• To prevent the battery from being discharged and to preserve your vehicle’s ability to start for as long as possible, the energy management system gradually switches off unnecessary convenience functions. It is possible that you will not be able to unlock your vehicle using these convenience functions."
The response he gave is a bit vague to me. He says that if the vehicle is unlocked that some systems may be left on but can't say which ones, only that they're "passive". (There is nothing in my manual's three pages discussing energy management about the doors being locked or not). Then he goes on to say that after a "few days", you have to pull on the door handle twice to unlock it. My A6 requires this after maybe 30 min to 60 minutes, probably a part of the first energy saving stage. The MMI full boot stage is required after a few hours.

Regardless, I would guess a fully charged, healthy battery in a warm environment would last a few months before it completely discharged with doors locked or unlocked not making much, if any, difference. There likely wouldn't be much of a current draw remaining after the energy management system stages the car into a full, low battery sleep mode except maybe the clock and whatever standby circuit that activates the starter.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I generally do not lock my car in my garage.

I have noticed that the car shuts down in stages, and will also shut down systems to save power. For example, when I am lying down inside my trunk adjusting the gains on my amplifier and after a few minutes the trunk lights go out.

I also installed a dash cam system which continues to run while the car is parked. It has a smart power adapter that can detect the battery's voltage. If the voltage drops below 11.8V, then the dash cam shuts down.

What I have noticed is that my dash cam will run for several days while the car is parked and unlocked in my garage. When I open the door to my car and the interior lights come on, that's when the dash cam shuts down because the voltage drops to 11.8V. But then I start the car and it comes back to life immediately.