Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

License Plate Holder Help

Old 03-09-2014, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kobanna
I fixed my license plate bracket...[using an] m6 cage-nut....
Nicely done.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plate repair

I had the same problem and went to the auto parts store (Pep Boys )and picked up a set of plastic plate mounts. The mounts snap into the hole left by he metal holders. I used a pair of needle nosed pliers and removed all 4 metal mounts. It worked perfectly. The whole thing took 10 minutes.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kevin880
I had the same problem and went to the auto parts store (Pep Boys )and picked up a set of plastic plate mounts. The mounts snap into the hole left by he metal holders. I used a pair of needle nosed pliers and removed all 4 metal mounts. It worked perfectly. The whole thing took 10 minutes.
If I look for these they are "plastic plate mounts"? is there a size? These work without removing the glued on bracket?
Old 03-10-2014, 07:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Plate mounts

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
If I look for these they are "plastic plate mounts"? is there a size? These work without removing the glued on bracket?
They are small plastic squares sold in packages of 4 in White or Black. I am in New York and see them in almost any auto parts store. When you tighten a screw into them they expand. They are usually sold in the section that has license plate holders. In fact they are called License plate fasteners. There are only 2 sizes small or large get the small ones.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

They are small plastic squares sold in packages of 4 in White or Black. I am in New York and see them in almost any auto parts store. When you tighten a screw into them they expand. They are usually sold in the section that has license plate holders. In fact they are called License plate fasteners. There are only 2 sizes small or large get the small ones.
Thanks!, I'll try and pick some of these up.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just picked some up. Fit in after a bit of a struggle. I didn't screw the screw in yet, but it seems like it will work. I guess I'll live with the old one rattling around back in there.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Removing the clip

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
Just picked some up. Fit in after a bit of a struggle. I didn't screw the screw in yet, but it seems like it will work. I guess I'll live with the old one rattling around back in there.
Try to use a magnet on the front of the plate holder and slide it up to the whole so you can remove the clip. I lost one clip but never heard a thing. Make sure you use a small machine screw with large head. What I did was buy four plate buttons and after attaching the clear plastic on the bottom of the screw I snapped the buttons on and it looks great. You can get them in silver or black.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Try to use a magnet on the front of the plate holder and slide it up to the whole so you can remove the clip. I lost one clip but never heard a thing. Make sure you use a small machine screw with large head. What I did was buy four plate buttons and after attaching the clear plastic on the bottom of the screw I snapped the buttons on and it looks great. You can get them in silver or black.
The noise is just when I open the trunk, so no big deal.

The pack I got came with screws. They are a tad longer than the one I took out, they also are pointy (yes I am not a handy person...) rather than bolt like. Should I try the one that came out originally rather than the one that came in the box?

As for the plate buttons. Are these just plastic cap like things that pop over the screw heads?
Old 03-10-2014, 01:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike_L
They made you pay for it? Their ****ty design and they made you pay to fix it? Seems to be a pattern forming here, with Audi charging the customers to fix their awful designs.
In this case he purchased the vehicle from a Lexus dealer who had nothing to do with the design of this car. Even if he had purchased the car from an Audi dealer, the dealer is not Audi, they sell Audi products. The important thing is a quality Audi dealer will stand behind the product as if they did design and manufacture it themselves, that is the sign of a good dealer, but they are not required or obligated to act as a representative of Audi of America. It is sad in my opinion that all dealers don't stand behind their products as if they were the manufacturer, but I guess they can't all be good.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Used the old bolt, matched the rusted look of the other, worked great. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: License Plate Holder Help