Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

License Plate Holder Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default License Plate Holder Help

I had to remove my plate to put the new registration sticker on (my plate holder covers some of the sticker.

Went to put the plate back on, one screw had nothing to screw into and another was very loose, and wouldn't tighten.

It looks like whatever was in the plate mount attached to the car is no longer there to bite on... Any ideas how I fix this?
Old 03-03-2014, 05:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The same thing happened to me a few days ago. I ordered some M6 cage nuts to see if I can pop one of those back into the frame bracket.

I ordered them off of Ebay because that was the only place I could find that had less than 50 for sale. If it works, I'll let you know.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:13 AM
Banned

The same thing happened to me. I actually pushed too hard and the metal tab went inside the plastic bracket. I went to the dealer and had them fix it.

My problem was that the screws were too long and fitting a license plate frame did the trick. I will be on the lookout for shorter screws, since I'm not a fan of the license plate frame.

Once that metal tab falls inside the plastic bracket, it will rattle. When I removed the two torx screws, I still couldn't get the plastic bracket off.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
I had to remove my plate to put the new registration sticker on (my plate holder covers some of the sticker.

Went to put the plate back on, one screw had nothing to screw into and another was very loose, and wouldn't tighten.

It looks like whatever was in the plate mount attached to the car is no longer there to bite on... Any ideas how I fix this?
It's repairable but a pita. I have a clear cover over my rear plate that I take off every year to replace the new annual tag. I lost two of the backing nuts. The screws are too long and push the nuts through the plastic. So off to the hardware store for new metric screws/bolts and some JB Weld (black). To get the plastic holder off of the car I used a hair dryer and a lot of patience to pry the double sided tape and get it dismounted. Don't wedge anything behind the holder as you risk scratching your paint. I found the backing nuts and put a really good cover of the mixed JB Weld around all of the nuts. Cleaned up and put much less double sided tape and remounted and used the shorter bolts. Better than new but it's a project. I figured that even with a dealer fix I'd run into it again so went after it myself.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:23 AM
Banned

Nice to know that I'm not the only one who did this.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by in2dwww
The same thing happened to me. I actually pushed too hard and the metal tab went inside the plastic bracket. I went to the dealer and had them fix it.

My problem was that the screws were too long and fitting a license plate frame did the trick. I will be on the lookout for shorter screws, since I'm not a fan of the license plate frame.

Once that metal tab falls inside the plastic bracket, it will rattle. When I removed the two torx screws, I still couldn't get the plastic bracket off.
I have a service appointment next week, maybe they'll fix it for me. Does that fall under warranty..?
Old 03-03-2014, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
I have a service appointment next week, maybe they'll fix it for me. Does that fall under warranty..?
Technically, I don't think so but the two dealers I've dealt with over the years, as a customer service, would not charge for something simple like this.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I fixed my license plate bracket, it was pretty simple. I am not sure if the A6 uses the same bracket as the A8, but here is how I did it.

I got a m6 cage-nut and taped it to a zip tie. Next, I unscrewed the torx bolts on the bracket and pulled it back gently until the two sided tape, still holding it on, peeled off enough for me to slide the nut behind the bracket using the zip-tie . When the nut was behind the opening, I screwed the m6 screw into it so it would not fall back behind the bracket. I worked the tabs through the hole with a small flat head screw driver and it was done.

https://forums.audiworld.com/attachm...1&d=1394304443

Attached Images    

Last edited by kobanna; 03-08-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I bought my 2013 S6 used at a Lexus dealer and when they transferred the tag they tightened the screws too far and ruined the nuts. I found some grommets at the hardware store that fit in the square slots, but one I couldn't get to work at all. like others I thought I could unscrew the torex screws and pull the bracket off the trunk, but it is also glued on. You would think that they might have made the design for the nuts a little studier given how they secure the bracket. At last trip to dealer I had them replace the bracket, just under $300.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jslchmank
I bought my 2013 S6 used at a Lexus dealer and when they transferred the tag they tightened the screws too far and ruined the nuts. I found some grommets at the hardware store that fit in the square slots, but one I couldn't get to work at all. like others I thought I could unscrew the torex screws and pull the bracket off the trunk, but it is also glued on. You would think that they might have made the design for the nuts a little studier given how they secure the bracket. At last trip to dealer I had them replace the bracket, just under $300.
They made you pay for it? Their ****ty design and they made you pay to fix it? Seems to be a pattern forming here, with Audi charging the customers to fix their awful designs.

Quick Reply: License Plate Holder Help