Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Interested in a C7 intake? Come hither

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
Maybe because they're expensive and don't do anything? Besides potentially voiding your warranty anyways.
I may be missing something here, but... how would one do an aftermarket intake for the 3.0? The supercharger sits directly on top of the intercoolers, which sit on top of the intake (at least from what I have seen). I can see how a turbo engine can easily have an aftermarket intake, but I'm not sure how this would work for a roots supercharger setup.

For the 3.0, I would think that an ECU upgrade would be the first step, a smaller pulley second, and for those who want it to behave almost like the S6, larger intercooler cooling system and/or larger secondary pump for the intercoolers, potentially with a separate coolant circuit. Somewhere in there, the tranny would probably benefit from different software to manage the added torque (at the very least).
The expense for all the above would almost make it worth it to get an S6 and avoid the headaches/voided warranties/extensive mods.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikem33
I may be missing something here, but... how would one do an aftermarket intake for the 3.0? The supercharger sits directly on top of the intercoolers, which sit on top of the intake (at least from what I have seen). I can see how a turbo engine can easily have an aftermarket intake, but I'm not sure how this would work for a roots supercharger setup.

For the 3.0, I would think that an ECU upgrade would be the first step, a smaller pulley second, and for those who want it to behave almost like the S6, larger intercooler cooling system and/or larger secondary pump for the intercoolers, potentially with a separate coolant circuit. Somewhere in there, the tranny would probably benefit from different software to manage the added torque (at the very least).
The expense for all the above would almost make it worth it to get an S6 and avoid the headaches/voided warranties/extensive mods.
You seem pretty knowledgeable, so I have a question for you: From what I can tell, this is basically the same engine as the S4 and the same Torque, but a little less HP. The improvements you mentioned are probably already available for the S4. Couldn't we apply those same components to the 3.0 A6?
Old 06-27-2012, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by manishaudi
You seem pretty knowledgeable, so I have a question for you: From what I can tell, this is basically the same engine as the S4 and the same Torque, but a little less HP. The improvements you mentioned are probably already available for the S4. Couldn't we apply those same components to the 3.0 A6?
I believe the issue (with the ECU) is that Audi changed something in the ECU that prevents the aftermarket guys from installing their firmware on the newer ECUs. Understandable, since Audi would prefer not to have to figure out if engine failures happened with stock or aftermarket ECUs, plus it reduces incentives to buy the expensive "S" version if you can buy the A, plop a grand or two, and get close to the same performance...
Once the aftermarket guys figure this new ECU out, I would expect that they would make it available for the C7 A6....
Old 06-27-2012, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I was really just looking for a K&N air filter. Does the one for the S4 fit?
Old 06-27-2012, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The intake that they are referring to is up stream of the supercharger. It replaces the air filter and plumbing that directs air to the supercharger.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
The intake that they are referring to is up stream of the supercharger. It replaces the air filter and plumbing that directs air to the supercharger.
My bad... off the soapbox I go.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
Maybe because they're expensive and don't do anything? Besides potentially voiding your warranty anyways.
This thread is meant for the sake of gauging interest in an intake and forwarding the results to a tuner; It's not for bringing up arguments as to whether or not the systems are worthwhile.

Also, there are at least 4 different intake options available for the S4, likely more, and they all show gains via dyno. While I have no doubt there are indeed aftermarket intakes that can cause a loss of power due to poor design, legitimate tuners eliminate OEM intake restrictions and actually generate gains.

The reason the A6 does not have any is because the aftermarket customer base is nowhere near as large as it is for the S4/S5/A4/etc. Also, C7 A6 is relatively new. C6, on the other hand, has not been much of a "tuner" platform until the 3.0T came out.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

My bad... off the soapbox I go.
No problem - glad to clear it up.

Most people don't know the type of supercharger or that the intercoolers are located down stream of it.

I would be interested in a aftermarket intake. The gain in HP won't justify the cost but it will allow the sound of the supercharger to be heard. Ynnekdude has a thread about his custom intake (A6 C6a) on Audizine.com and it sounds real good.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Interested. Very.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

+1 count me in. It would go nicely with the Stasis exhaust, which I'm very much considering.

Quick Reply: Interested in a C7 intake? Come hither