Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

I love my A6 but...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I love my A6 but...

...in my opinion it is not as "fun" to drive as my A4.

I wouldn't trade back to the A4, but just sheer pleasure of driving goes to the A4, and to clarify I have a 3.0 Sport A6, and I had a 2.0t non-sport A4.

I'm sure some of you will be outraged by this opinion, but the surplus of power, size/weight and refinement of ride do take a little of the fun out of it.

Maybe this won't be a surprise for anyone, I guess smaller cars are generally more fun.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
...surplus of power...
To me, this is a non sequitur. As soon as it's available, I plan on installing the Stasis ECU on my 2014 A6.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Helmar
To me, this is a non sequitur. As soon as it's available, I plan on installing the Stasis ECU on my 2014 A6.
There is something to be said for having to pick your moment to make that passing maneuver, maybe having to downshift (tiptronic not automatic) to make sure the power is there.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Were you the member who went back and forth for weeks and couldn't decide what to do about a car purchase? After blowing that money you are not having fun? It really comes down to your definition of fun. I think doing a simple search on this forum would lead you to conclude that the A6 is a fantastic car, but depending on your desired use, the A4 or really S4 could be better for you. Even a respected contributor on this forum said there is no comparing the luxury of the two cars, but the S4 is just nuts. He is an individual who likes the track though. So it suits him.

I find the A6 tons of fun. Check my smile when I am driving, ear to ear. The A4 2.0 has nothing on my A6. Read my post on the APR tune. I don't know all the details of the driver(s), but I had fun putting an S4 in my rear view mirror on the track. I had fun watching him try so hard to beat my auto cross time, but came .04 seconds short. That was fun and I did it in a boat compared to the other cars out there that day.

I for one would never be outraged by your opinion. However I guess I feel bad that you spent all that money on a car and you are not as happy as you hoped. I did that once. It cost me a ton to become happy, but I told my self I would never be un-happy driving a car again and so far owning an Audi has kept me happy.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't think you read my post closely. As stated I am perfectly happy with my A6 and wouldn't go back to the A4. It is a luxury vehicle, it looks pretty and has nice bells and whistles. It glides around effortlessly at whatever speed is asked of it. I was just commenting that for sheer driving fun the A4 wins out. Its not all about 0-60.

The A6 is a bit more of a "grown-up" car and as I have two kid seats in the back I guess that is just fine.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I guess we all have different definitions of "fun". I came from an '09 B8 A4 3.2 265hp non-sport (which I really liked) to my '13 A6 3.0t Sport and my smile is quite a bit broader with the A6 on so many levels. Aside from the power difference, I feel the A6 handles about 95% as well as the A4 with gobs more tech and the side benifits of added comfort, refinement and space. My "fun" quotient went from a 7.5 to a 9.5 on the overall with not one regret to be found. But, of course, that's based on my own definition of fun.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
...in my opinion it is not as "fun" to drive as my A4.

I wouldn't trade back to the A4, but just sheer pleasure of driving goes to the A4, and to clarify I have a 3.0 Sport A6, and I had a 2.0t non-sport A4.

I'm sure some of you will be outraged by this opinion, but the surplus of power, size/weight and refinement of ride do take a little of the fun out of it.

Maybe this won't be a surprise for anyone, I guess smaller cars are generally more fun.
I have a friend who has told me he would rather drive his Miata every rather than my Audi. Everyone has their own tastes so whatever floats their boat. To me it doesn't matter the size of the car as long as it drives and handle properly.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I guess we all have different definitions of "fun". I came from an '09 B8 A4 3.2 265hp non-sport (which I really liked) to my '13 A6 3.0t Sport and my smile is quite a bit broader with the A6 on so many levels. Aside from the power difference, I feel the A6 handles about 95% as well as the A4 with gobs more tech and the side benifits of added comfort, refinement and space. My "fun" quotient went from a 7.5 to a 9.5 on the overall with not one regret to be found. But, of course, that's based on my own definition of fun.
+1 on your definition of fun. I came from B7 A4 2.0T.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

I guess if you wanted pure fun, you should have purchased something else. My BMW 3 series is a blast, but the run flats provide a very stiff ride and it isn't real pleasant on a less than smooth highway. The Audi on the other hand is not nearly as sporty, but it certainly is no slouch and kicks the crap out of the BMW for touring ride quality. Now maybe an RS6 would be a better compromise?
Old 07-24-2013, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'll be coming from a Lexus LS600hL Hybrid.

No way can the A6 compete with the comfort of the Lexus. I'm prepared for that. I'm guessing that it'll be pretty close though.

As to power, the 0-60 times are about equal. The Stasis ECU should change that.....

As to "Fun to drive", I have no doubt that the A6 will outperform the Lexus by a wide margin. Not just in handling, but in a general, "wide grin", sense.

I hope that the road trip qualities of the A6 are close to that of the Lexus. I've heard nothing but positives in this reguard.

Quick Reply: I love my A6 but...