Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Hyundai Genesis vs. A6 Prestige

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 09:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hyundai Genesis vs. A6 Prestige

Okay folks, I'm the proud owner of a 2012 A6 Prestige and I still love this car. We've also owned 4 Audis in our latest rotation of cars and liked them all. A good friend just picked up the new Genesis and it's impressive in many ways. I have to say that I'll take a look in the next couple of years to replace my A6.

If Hyundai puts their new 3.3L twin turbo in it and tightens the ride a touch more, I'd say it's a contender. I'm getting older and don't push my car much these days, although I still appreciate a good throttle stomp to leave traffic behind. I configured a 2016 A6 to try to match features and it appears to be over $15K more expensive. About $4K per ring in the logo?

I am a fan of the concept car that the next A6 appears to be based on but it sure seems to me that Audi is going to have some real competition and the new CT6 from Cadillac also looks nice out of the chute.

I'm not looking to incur the wrath of this forum but am hoping for some good conversations to spin up.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 890 Likes on 729 Posts

If you want to see what conversation gets started by your question take a look at this thread - https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...onata-2867863/
Old 04-05-2015, 11:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2016 A6 3.0TFSI on order. You can take a look at what I thought about the new Hyundai Genesis here in comparison to the Audi and others:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post24652894

Bottom line is that I was shocked at how good the new Genesis is. I had been in a previous generation Genesis and wasn't impressed. This new model is a game changer. At one point I came very close to pulling the trigger on that car and saving myself close to $15K.

In the end I decided the Audi is incrementally better in just about every way - design, performance, interior, electronics, etc. And since I own my cars about 5 years that $15K means about $3K/year or a little less (given anticipated depreciation) to own the Audi vs. the Hyundai.

But the shocking thing is how small that "incrementally better" is IMHO. If Hyundai continues to make the same progress they showed with this Genesis they will have a world-beater on their hands next go-around.

I also admire the new Cadillacs (except for the CUE interface) and like what I see with the CT6.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The koreans are making some good cars nowadays, this is not debatable. At the end of the day its the 1000's of little thoughtful things that end up differentiating luxury autos versus mass market.

I, for one, am looking forward to the fact that the American's, Japanese, Koreans and Germans are fighting it out. That could result in nothing less than benefits for the likes of you and me as long as you don't have blind brand loyalty.

One could argue that the reason Audi reliability has increased enough to make a Lexus convert like me happy is because of such competition mentioned above. So enjoy it, get the car that meets your need and be happy with your purchase.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

I recently test drove the new Genesis and you can see the Audi influence on it in every way. The car is a nice car and a huge step up from the first gen, but the power train still is behind not only Audi, but many of the cars it its class and lower class cars. Hyundai needs to focus on more refined and modern power train. They also need to look at more modern ways of design the platrpform as the car is heavier than anything in its class. My guess is the next gen car will be a real serious contender. That said the bug stigma will always be the dealership expierience. I know Hyundai is redesigning dealerships to have more upscale areas around the Equus and Genesis. That said for those not worried about status or the dealership Hyundai is gaining ground and I would have no issue owning one as my family has several Sonats, Santa Fes and all have been rock solid for years.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree gentlemen and I'm not ready to jettison the rings right away. I wonder if they'll get the 3.3L twin turbo in her and address the suspension and transmission? It seems to me to be an impressive product for the price. I suspect the $ delta may change with some traction in the US too?

I'm going to go buff out the two swirl marks and enjoy my terrific audi for another year or two. 25K miles and she still looks new.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have considered the Genesis 5.0, but I feel that the Audi will cost about the same over 3-4 years when you account for resale value, at least for an A6. Not quite sure about the A7 I have. And I'm honest enough to say that the name is a factor to some degree. I certainly think the car can be mentioned as a logical alternate to an Audi and I would not look down my nose at anyone who buys one.

Last edited by jjsC6; 04-07-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I owned a 2012 genesis with the 4.6 V8 and now an A6. Lexicon sound system was very good, I miss that. Audi quality appears to me to be better. I had numerous electrical issues with the Genesis which is why I moved on. Hyundai dealer service is not even close to Audi. Depreciation on the Genesis is unreal, if you want one buy it used. I would buy another Audi, I will not by another Hyundai.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by alpackerfan
I would buy another Audi, I will not by another Hyundai.
That is the key comparison info!