Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

How to replace 3.0T spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to replace 3.0T spark plugs

I'm getting ready to replace my spark plugs but getting to the 3 that are on the drivers side is a challenge and I have not figured out a way to get to them. Anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish this?
Old 04-09-2014, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Curious how any miles have you put on the car?
Old 04-09-2014, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by qqq1970
Curious how any miles have you put on the car?
I'm at about 41K but have tracked the car over a dozen times and feel that they should be replaced before the recommended mileage of 55K.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They don't look difficult at all. What exactly is the problem you're expecting to have? These look like absolute cake compared to many other motors.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mike_L
They don't look difficult at all. What exactly is the problem you're expecting to have? These look like absolute cake compared to many other motors.
What would you recommend in order to gain sufficient access to the 2 torx screws that hold the coil pack cabling to the valve cover as well as have sufficient room to get the coil pack off each spark plug and then remove each spark plug. I can do this on the passenger side after I remove the intake tube but the drivers side is whole different matter in my view.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:13 PM
Banned

Just move the coolant overflow tank. Its only a couple of bolts and won't have to be drained.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mike_L
Just move the coolant overflow tank. Its only a couple of bolts and won't have to be drained.
Well, I tried that and there is a large hose connected at the bottom that does not allow it to be moved much. There is only one screw holding it in place plus a connector on the right hand side and the bottom hose.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jr'sAudiA6
I'm getting ready to replace my spark plugs but getting to the 3 that are on the drivers side is a challenge and I have not figured out a way to get to them. Anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish this?
why not go the the dealer or indy mechanic?
Old 04-09-2014, 05:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jr'sAudiA6
Well, I tried that and there is a large hose connected at the bottom that does not allow it to be moved much. There is only one screw holding it in place plus a connector on the right hand side and the bottom hose.
I'll take a look at it tomorrow and see what I can figure out. Don't have a garage, so I'm at the mercy of the sun.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by q5q7
why not go the the dealer or indy mechanic?
Probably because I'm trying to determine if I can do this myself. I've worked on plenty of vehicles over the years but just not on any of my most recent purchases. This looks like it should be doable but just have not figured out how to get easy access to the drives side plugs. Incidentally, the coolant system remains under pressure for some time, more than 6 hours, after turning the engine off. Do not ask why I know this, lol!!!

Quick Reply: How to replace 3.0T spark plugs